Caught some sun today. (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
At the moment I am running my 24' mains powered TV from the inverter for F1 qualifying, Fire Stick from the TV, my mobile is on charge (12v) as my hot spot and TV signal booster (12v).
Screenshot_20230527_155751.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
By comparison this is what my 5.6 kw system feeding 2 x 5.8 batteries placed at 10 degree incline facing due south on my garage roofhas made so far today by 12:00 have also done 2 8kg machine washes 90 degree cotton and 1 dishwasher load. It is sending just under 4 kw to the grid. There is a small 1.2 kw system on the main house roof which is at the moment running the house regular load, fridge, freezer bits and bobs. We dont export from the main array as the smaller system now 13 years old still get 46p fit so is more financially rewarding than the new system. In the last 7 days we have used 80p from the grid. This is only for info to those who may or may not be interested.

View attachment 759878
Thanks for sharing. I am interested lol!

Hopefully mine will come on line soon. Just waiting for the new cabinets to arrive in Fogstars warehouse then I can build my battery get my install finished.

I was going to just do a DIY battery box, but the new Mason Seplos cases look too good for me to ignore.

I only have a 4kw system on the second tier of FIT and will be building a 13.5kw battery. All the cells have been top balanced, Inverter has been fitted, everything connected up, so just waiting for the cabinet !!

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If your getting 46p per Kw Fit you could charge up batteries at night on off peak and export it back and make a profit
the FIT set up is on the original 1.12 kw system and has to run with its own generation meter which records the gain. This has been running for many years. And benefits from the original FIT which was 46p I think it’s gone up a bit will check. The new 5.6 kw system has to run separates and no export tariff as you cant have both from the same property. So we cant do as you suggest and as the tariff from Scottish power is more than we get from the FIT it would be uneconomical if it were allowed.
If your getting 46p per Kw Fit you could charge up batteries at night on off peak and export it back and make a profit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
True it would be but thanks to our local Victor Meldue thats the max. Sited in a rear lane on top of an existing structure took two planning applications to get it. Although panels on house roofs normally don't need planning, because it projects above the roof line on where its mounted its does. So much for trying to save the planet. There were concerns about possible wind shear owing to its the tallest garage in the street, this is in spite of when I built it it is over engineered in its construction just to make sure no problems and a structural engineers report.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
By comparison this is what my 5.6 kw system feeding 2 x 5.8 batteries placed at 10 degree incline facing due south on my garage roofhas made so far today by 12:00 have also done 2 8kg machine washes 90 degree cotton and 1 dishwasher load. It is sending just under 4 kw to the grid. There is a small 1.2 kw system on the main house roof which is at the moment running the house regular load, fridge, freezer bits and bobs. We dont export from the main array as the smaller system now 13 years old still get 46p fit so is more financially rewarding than the new system. In the last 7 days we have used 80p from the grid. This is only for info to those who may or may not be interested.

View attachment 759878
It appears to me that you are exporting from battery. Why? That’s prime most expensive kWH, that, YOU should use for your own consumption only. Excess PV production should be exported when battery full, then cover loads and what’s left over you should export. Grid is laughing at you, propping them from your expensive battery.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Well I did as well but I meant the panels really,

View attachment 759381

It has been hot and hazy sun so not the best for peak output, I have seen over 520 watts on a clear sunny day but even still this is close to 200ah so not bad, we were nearly fully charged and then boiled the kettle a couple of times and cooked tea outside on the induction so got it all to do again tomorrow.
Here is a comparison of mine, 590w panasonic. Note power max each day it got hotter.
465EDAA5-894F-43FE-8F63-D32FA5452CFD.png

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
It appears to me that you are exporting from battery. Why? That’s prime most expensive kWH, that, YOU should use for your own consumption only. Excess PV production should be exported when battery full, then cover loads and what’s left over you should export. Grid is laughing at you, propping them from your expensive battery.
With respect I think you should re read the post and picture before decrying someone else’s post. The only time the system exports to the grid is when the Batteries are FULLY charged as was the case around 10:30 this morning. And if our current usage requirements are fully met. We have since Wed on our return from France not paid one penny to the grid. The system charges the batteries to 100% and then sends any surplus we are not using to the grid then when the battery drops to 98% the process starts again. The continual consumption covers domestic fridge and separate freezer, positive pressure ventilation system, security cameras and a 150 litre hot water system than is computer controlled only to use excess power unless controlled manually. Then power company are certainly not laughing I can assure you.

1685286317651.png

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Here is a comparison of mine, 590w panasonic. Note power max each day it got hotter.
View attachment 760748
Can you tell us what the different colours on the bars are please? White, Light blue and Dark blue.

Also thanks to all who are posting info on here. Can you post if your panels are flat or at an angle and the total rated size (if you haven't already)

I am finding this fascinating.

Anyone done this sort of thing over a winter?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
With respect I think you should re read the post and picture before decrying someone else’s post. The only time the system exports to the grid is when the Batteries are FULLY charged as was the case around 10:30 this morning. And if our current usage requirements are fully met. We have since Wed on our return from France not paid one penny to the grid. The system charges the batteries to 100% and then sends any surplus we are not using to the grid then when the battery drops to 98% the process starts again. The continual consumption covers domestic fridge and separate freezer, positive pressure ventilation system, security cameras and a 150 litre hot water system than is computer controlled only to use excess power unless controlled manually. Then power company are certainly not laughing I can assure you.

View attachment 760763
If I offended you please accept my apology. I don’t decry your post. I only say based on what I see. If your system reports correctly, then you do the maths and you will see why I said in my post. If you account for another PV array that’s not reported on that graph, then that graph it’s not true for both arrays.
Sorry no more from me.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Can you tell us what the different colours on the bars are please? White, Light blue and Dark blue.

Also thanks to all who are posting info on here. Can you post if your panels are flat or at an angle and the total rated size (if you haven't already)

I am finding this fascinating.

Anyone done this sort of thing over a winter?
From the bottom (white) up: bulk-absorb-float time spent. My panels are roof mount flat 590w panasonic HIT multilayer heterojunction cell.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
From the bottom (white) up: bulk-absorb-float time spent. My panels are roof mount flat 590w panasonic HIT multilayer heterojunction cell.
Lead acid batteries then?

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
The 1.12 system on the roof for its size is more efficient owing to the angle of the roof and at this time of the years during the day covers most of the regular requirements for the
If I offended you please accept my apology. I don’t decry your post. I only say based on what I see. If your system reports correctly, then you do the maths and you will see why I said in my post. If you account for another PV array that’s not reported on that graph, then that graph it’s not true for both arrays.
Sorry no more from me.
No offence taken whatsoever all comments are welcome

On the picture posted the five circles are as follows

top left input from the 5.6 kw array, top right state of charge of the 2 x 5.8 kw batteries

centre inverter performance, bottom left surplus export to the grid.

although a picture not video the bottom right if the orange dots are going away from it it shows the surplus from the house 1.12 array going to the grid and inverter which in this case they are. If the dots were going towards bottom right it would show power being used as the roof array is not producing enough.

hope this makes sense??

IMG_0086.png IMG_0085.png

Last edited:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I have seen P max over the panel wattage earlier in the year when the sky is clear.

Still in bulk mode, got to 96% and then we put the kettle on so still didn’t fully charge.
It’s been a while since we had a chat funflair . I can’t remember if you use any gas or just purely electric? 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back