Oct 3, 2012
Bromyard
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2nd Year
Do any of you travel with cats?
We have two cats that we would like to join us on our adventures and we are looking for cat friendly sites both home and abroad.
We are especially interested in others experiences with others experiences of wintering abroad with moggies.
Do winter rally sites accept them?
Any and all info greatly appreciated.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have travelled with cats twice but not abroad. The cats loved it. I didn't need to do anything much special, they travelled on the passenger seat. I let them out but didn't feed before letting them out. They came on call for food.

I think you need to know your cat, some will be great some won't.

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
We take ours everywhere with us,and have never had any problems in England or on the continent. we go away for 3 to 4 months at a time but don't stay on sites much when in france and portugal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We take our two everywhere, just open the door and let them out, only problem with them so far was on a 3C Site, where they insisted we kept them on leads. They said dogs have to be kept on leads, so cats have to as well.:Smile:

They are both passported, but only the younger one has been abroad.

Ian

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We take ours everywhere with us across EU etc. We have leads incase they have to be used. One cat is 19 years old the other 8 years old. We put them in the box whilst on the move and then allow them run free around motor-home when parked up.

Go for it.....

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We've taken our two since we started motor-homing. They travel together in a basket strapped in on one of the passenger seats. As they are both almost completely black, we don't let them out at night.

In the last couple of years we've found more and more sites want them on a leash but ours would go mad. In that case, we just keep them in the van.

Favourite spot is on a cushion on the dash in sunshine! :Cool:
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My 2 cats and 2 dogs have been travelling since May 22nd with no problems so far.

One is very elderly (18) and will go outside alone, and just sits near the van or potters nearby. Freddie would freak if he was out alone. On a very quiet site (Cwmcuttan) I let him out alone and he was fine but usually he walks on a lead and harness. I spent a while getting him used to this before we left home. if you use a harness and lead make sure it will not snap open if the cat tugs sharply. First one I tried did, and luckily I found this out in the house.
They have a litter tray in the shower tray, which is lined with a large piece of plastic tablecloth to save litter bits going down the drain (you can also cover drain holes with lid off a 5 litre water bottle) Use a good quality litter, otherwise the smell can be a bit grim!
I also given them a disposable scratch board, they last about a month- 6 weeks..
Outside, and for travel they have 2 large travel crates. They can travel in one, gives them plenty of room, and they can also use one, or 2 together (I open connecting mesh sides and bungee then two together) I have 2 of the largest size I could buy--each about 48 inches long. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Pet-Puppy-Fabric-Portable-Carrier-Crate-Kennel-Bag-Cage-Fold-Travel-M-L-XL-/230807561763?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var&hash=item35bd33e623&_uhb=1
I also carry a small portable crate in case of a vet visit.

So far, 2 happy cats that seem to be enjoying the journey (although we've come to s standstill at the moment!)

Also meant to say, they've been travelling back and forth from France for years by car and ferry. Never had a problem.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back