Carving up the roof.. (1 Viewer)

RichardT

Free Member
Mar 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
This weekend I've decided its time to cut holes in the roof to fit two small antennas, one either side. This will require 2 x 20mm holes to be cut and then cables fed through etc. Does anyone know what the autotrail roof construction was in 2008 ? I assume, because it can support my weight its plastic onto wood, then a cavity with insulation then the ceiling, but i'd rather it not be a voyage of discovery if anyone's done it before?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
There will be some cables within the roof construction so if you can remove the inner layer first using a Forstner bit and them gently probe through the insulation it will save you trying to reconnect them. I drilled a hole straight through a Burstner roof a few years ago and went straight through two cables.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Does anyone know what the autotrail roof construction was in
There's every chance it will be a polystyrene core with a GRP outer skin and thin hardboard or cieling board on the inside.
Nobody seems to know where wires are run in the roof.... Even the manufactures are tight lipped.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

RichardT

Free Member
Mar 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
C Class
For anyone also doing this, my voyage of discovery revealed that the roof is plastic then plywood, then insulation, then more plywood which is the ceiling. There's about 16mm between the roof surface and the ceiling so its a deep cut. There are cables running so its worth taking it slow but its all do-able.

However, whilst up on the roof, I noticed it was peppered with puncture marks immediately aft of what was probably once a motorised satellite dish. I can only theorise as to how this happened, maybe the dish was left up and torn off by something, or maybe the installer had a mental break, who knows, but all these are plugged up too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back