Carthago owners tv question (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Can any Carthago owners please tell me if the tv systems that come with the vehicle from the factory work through the stereo speakers from new or is there a mod required to get them to work through the stereo. I have the factory satellite system if that makes any difference

Thanks

LB

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ours worked through the stereo
Except once when it stopped
The dealer found that there was a little switch on the scart plug on the rear of the TV that had moved
It only works through the stereo if you select the correct input on the stereo menu
From memory you also have to set the sound on the tv to output through the scart socket

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Oh I knew it would be complicated :D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
chances are it’s set up on the tv already

You just need to select the current input on the radio.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Ours works through the stereo when on satellite but not when on terrestrial TV. As we rarely use terrestrial it isn't a problem.
How you get to the back of the TV if you need to change anything I have no idea. There must be a way of removing the TV from the pull up frame it sits in and if anyone knows how to do it I would be obliged.

Richard.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
@Clarky
Our pull up frame in the lounge had a very stiff angle bracket.
The TV is mounted on this bracket via 4x4mm screws, if you pull up the TV, then grab the TV at the sides using both hands and pull hard it should pull out of the ball bearing catches, allowing you to swivel the TV towards the front seats or the rear. But they are stiff which I suppose could be seen as a good thing for securing the TV back in its rise & fall frame.
PS: I have disconnected the overhead Carthago speakers as they were pretty crap compared with the Bose Soundlink speakers we use.
Les

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
@Clarky
Our pull up frame in the lounge had a very stiff angle bracket.
The TV is mounted on this bracket via 4x4mm screws, if you pull up the TV, then grab the TV at the sides using both hands and pull hard it should pull out of the ball bearing catches, allowing you to swivel the TV towards the front seats or the rear. But they are stiff which I suppose could be seen as a good thing for securing the TV back in its rise & fall frame.
PS: I have disconnected the overhead Carthago speakers as they were pretty crap compared with the Bose Soundlink speakers we use.
Les
Thanks Les.
I can swivel ours towards the front a little but I would like to get at the connections at the back and there is only a tiny space to get fingers in. There must be an easy way of lifting the TV out of its bracket as there doesn't seem to be space to get a screwdriver or any other tools behind.

Richard.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Richard @Clarky
If you remove the side cushions, unscrew the timber backing if you can, sometimes they are glued as well as screwed (typical Carthago eh) then you might be able to see the metal lugs on the rise & fall runners that stop the TV raising too far. Its hard to describe but I used a screwdriver to bend them out the way, and bend them back afterwards, the gas strut needs to be disconnected also.
Failing that if your window opens behind the TV (ours doesn't) then you might be able to locate the 4x4mm screws used to secure the TV to the frame and remove the TV that way.
Once you get past the swearing phase as I had to, then you can access the terminals on the side of the Avtex, the worst one being the 12V supply connector as it only goes in one way, and being round its impossible to see from the side, so east to bend the pins, have to be careful :mad:
What terminals input/output are you trying to get to?
Les

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Richard @Clarky
If you remove the side cushions, unscrew the timber backing if you can, sometimes they are glued as well as screwed (typical Carthago eh) then you might be able to see the metal lugs on the rise & fall runners that stop the TV raising too far. Its hard to describe but I used a screwdriver to bend them out the way, and bend them back afterwards, the gas strut needs to be disconnected also.
Failing that if your window opens behind the TV (ours doesn't) then you might be able to locate the 4x4mm screws used to secure the TV to the frame and remove the TV that way.
Once you get past the swearing phase as I had to, then you can access the terminals on the side of the Avtex, the worst one being the 12V supply connector as it only goes in one way, and being round its impossible to see from the side, so east to bend the pins, have to be careful :mad:
What terminals input/output are you trying to get to?
Les
Thanks for that Les.
I would quite like to be able to get to the HDMI lead and try to connect a splitter of some sort so that I can play video from the laptop to the larger TV screen.
Our TV is the original factory fitted Audiotronic and the cables are all tightly secured with cable ties so are a bugger to get at.

I might just put up with the smaller screen if it all gets too complicated.
Sometimes Carthago's are just too well built. :D

Richard.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks Les.
I can swivel ours towards the front a little but I would like to get at the connections at the back and there is only a tiny space to get fingers in. There must be an easy way of lifting the TV out of its bracket as there doesn't seem to be space to get a screwdriver or any other tools behind.

Richard.

On my TV enclosure (manufactured about 08/09) the swing-out plate that the TV is attached to, just unhooks from the horizontal slot in the backplate. You need to twist the swing-out plate so the vertical peg clears the bottom of the horizontal slot.

The TV then swings out fully, allowing access to the back of the TV.

Alternatively, remove the complete enclosure, held by a couple of bolts to the wooden backboard.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Do the factory fit tv's come with a usb outlet and is it easy to get to so I can plug a usb stick into the tv if so are they on the back, the sides or the top

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
63C6749C-46D3-44CF-B506-F38CC417DF52.jpeg
Do the factory fit tv's come with a usb outlet and is it easy to get to so I can plug a usb stick into the tv if so are they on the back, the sides or the top

I just bought a small usb lead off eBay and leave it plugged in , usb socket on left land side as you look at tv

Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for that information about the TVs bracket on the Carthago we have the same problem .
Hope to be able to solve it know. :)

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Zepp

That looks a pain in the ass to fit no room at all how did you get to plug the usb cable in

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Oh i see mire rpom than i though for the usb

Why is the HDMI difficult to plug in where is it

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ours works through the stereo when on satellite but not when on terrestrial TV. As we rarely use terrestrial it isn't a problem.
How you get to the back of the TV if you need to change anything I have no idea. There must be a way of removing the TV from the pull up frame it sits in and if anyone knows how to do it I would be obliged.

Richard.
My mates new Carthago is the same, unbelievable how they are unable to wire something so simple correctly.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Oh i see mire rpom than i though for the usb

Why is the HDMI difficult to plug in where is it

It’s where all the main cables come up you would have to cut the tiny cable ties to get it in , I will do it when I’m bored or when I need it lol

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
The main thing to watch out for when you switch the media centre on it draws power from the engine battery we are having ours switched to leisure batteries when we get back to th U.K.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
My mates new Carthago is the same, unbelievable how they are unable to wire something so simple correctly.
The reason for the sound not linking from the TV is that the sound feed to the radio is taken from the satellite receiver rather than the TV.
I guess they think that having a dish you won't need to use the terrestrial channels and for 90% of the time they are right.
On the rare occasions that we use terrestrial we just put up with the poorer sound from the tiny (tinny?) TV speakers.

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The reason for the sound not linking from the TV is that the sound feed to the radio is taken from the satellite receiver rather than the TV.
I guess they think that having a dish you won't need to use the terrestrial channels and for 90% of the time they are right.
On the rare occasions that we use terrestrial we just put up with the poorer sound from the tiny (tinny?) TV speakers.

Richard.
I realise that but as they have fitted both systems you would think they could be bothered to wire it correctly, it's not hard.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I am very surprised the tv takes power from the engine battery i will find out if my new cathago is wfired like this if it is I will be looking at getting it changed to run off the leisure batteries

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
591543A0-82D6-4CFC-AA19-44BA3ED88078.png
Had one of these DSP’s in our previous van. It was plug and play with the Fiat loom and put all tv sources through the audio speakers without the need to have the head unit on. Don’t know if they or equivalent are available and would suit your needs.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I am very surprised the tv takes power from the engine battery i will find out if my new cathago is wfired like this if it is I will be looking at getting it changed to run off the leisure batteries

I was also shocked but if you join the Carthago forum you will find quite a few members have the same problem.

We are booked into reliance to have the work done because Carthago won’t do it under warranty

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Mine will be going to mick at sap Doncaster as soon as i get it to have e&p levelling jacks and solar panel fitted I may ask him if he can re wire it to the leisure batteries for me

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Do any carthago owners have the pull out tv in the bedroom I am trying to find out if the tv has a usb in it and if so where it is located
This is the one in mine
Screenshot_20190119-100358_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Thanks Les.

Richard.

Just picked up my new carthago and was really pleased they have addressed this issue as my lounge tv pulls out and is on a swivel arm so tv can be pulled right into the room enabling all the connections at the back to be got to with ease

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Just at home playing around with the sat tv system and I can only get the bedroom tv in my carthago to work if the lounge tv is on, if I turn the lounge tv off it says No signal found on the bedroom tv.

Not sure if I am doing something wrong but it seems a bit stupid to have it wired up this way as why it's like this if I'm in bed watching the tv I need to have lounge tv on and sound muted to watch in bedroom surely this can't be right

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
This is how the tv is now in the lounge so much easier to get to the back

Screenshot_20190309-192636_Gallery.jpg