Car Trailers (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Each to their own, but we soon got fed up towing our Smarty. Loading and unloading not a real issue although you had to be careful if it was wet! We enjoyed it to a certain extent and there was the added freedom of exploring in the car, but getting home and unloading was always a chore! We have down sized now and are really enjoying the freedom that having a smaller van gives! We started many years ago with a VW, so I guess what goes around comes around.
We have also downsized to a PVC which is great for normal use such as France ect. But we stay on a site in Spain for 5 months and for the last 2 years we have taken the van off the pitch on average twice a week. I will only have to put the car on and off the trailer once at home and then in Spain to bring it back so not much hassle and the benifit when there will be substantial.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have also downsized to a PVC which is great for normal use such as France ect. But we stay on a site in Spain for 5 months and for the last 2 years we have taken the van off the pitch on average twice a week. I will only have to put the car on and off the trailer once at home and then in Spain to bring it back so not much hassle and the benifit when there will be substantial.
That's just what we are doing this winter but our van is 7200m so very limited as to where you can visit in Spain so the car is the answer hassle minimal,I know here are those that say hire but with your own you can come and go as you please.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have a 'couple' of trailers and if I had to choose between them I'd recommend the Woodford ones as the loading ramps are stored under each loading bed and therefore just pull them out to load. Also lashing points are important as I've found a lot of trailers have rubbish lashing points! Sometimes in unsuitable positions once your car is loaded!

To answer the OP points, yes you can load/unload your car onto the trailer without been hooked up to your MH but be very careful as some trailer rear steadies sometimes decide to spring back up just as you are driving the car up the ramps.

My trailers have the grit pads on each ramp and never had a problem loading on wet grass, but before I fitted these I did use to have a few moments of skidding tyres on the ramps!

I'm just in the middle of a project of installing fully automatic truma motor movers onto the Woodford trailer as I found when arriving on some sites that I had to unload the car, unhitch the trailer then push the trailer onto the pitch then move the car then MH as the pitches didn't allow much room to reverse still hitched up. This way you just turn up, unhitch and motor move the trailer with the car still on onto the pitch which then allows you to use the trailer as parking for your car.

I tow Toyota IQ and also Smart Car.

Here are a couple of pics:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Thats because its incorrect terminology.

A drawbar is the part attached to a trailer which in turn is connected to the TOWBAR.

A drawbar could be a straight bar or A frame

draw_bar_fuel_tank_trailer_for_tanzania_and_ethiopia.jpg
Thats because its incorrect terminology.

A drawbar is the part attached to a trailer which in turn is connected to the TOWBAR.

A drawbar could be a straight bar or A frame

draw_bar_fuel_tank_trailer_for_tanzania_and_ethiopia.jpg

Yes, I find it rather strange. What I have is a tow bar but what the Hymer brochure (and my invoice) say I have is a draw bar.
Some things get lost in translation.
Stef.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Before I get all excited about towing I really should have done more homework first??? I have tried to get my head around what I can or can't tow with my motorhome. Unfortunately I haven't got access to the vehicle at the moment to check the plates. If anyone can help I would be obliged. I have a 2012 Swift Kontiki 679 and I now realise that tag axles don't fare too well with permissible weights. From what I can glean online my particular model has a Mass in running order of 4300kgs an unladen weight of 3981 kgs and a train weight of 6000kgs. So what's the maximum weight I can get away with trailer and car?

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
***Update**** just found a document online which states Recommended Maximum Trailer Weight 1000kg < 1600kg
So my car is 940kgs and the trailer is 350kgs =1290kgs

Am I reading it correctly?

I'm OK licence wise by the way!!:D

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Before I get all excited about towing I really should have done more homework first??? I have tried to get my head around what I can or can't tow with my motorhome. Unfortunately I haven't got access to the vehicle at the moment to check the plates. If anyone can help I would be obliged. I have a 2012 Swift Kontiki 679 and I now realise that tag axles don't fare too well with permissible weights. From what I can glean online my particular model has a Mass in running order of 4300kgs an unladen weight of 3981 kgs and a train weight of 6000kgs. So what's the maximum weight I can get away with trailer and car?

By my reckoning 1700kgs Trailer + car

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
***Update**** just found a document online which states Recommended Maximum Trailer Weight 1000kg < 1600kg
So my car is 940kgs and the trailer is 350kgs =1290kgs

Am I reading it correctly?

I'm OK licence wise by the way!!:D

When did you pass your test?

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Each to their own, but we soon got fed up towing our Smarty. Loading and unloading not a real issue although you had to be careful if it was wet! We enjoyed it to a certain extent and there was the added freedom of exploring in the car, but getting home and unloading was always a chore! We have down sized now and are really enjoying the freedom that having a smaller van gives! We started many years ago with a VW, so I guess what goes around comes around.

Each to their own is spot on - what works for some will not always work for others!

I have toyed with the idea of getting a "toad" but as an ex tugger I think to myself that if I wanted to tow I should have stuck with my caravan - in fact we changed to a MoHo because we found that even in a 8 week stint in Spain we were moving on every week or so just to find "pastures new" and a MoHo seemed better suited to that type of trip - now we rarely stay on one site more than 3 or 4 days and often only 1 or 2 :)
If we find ourselves on a fairly remote site that we like and want to stay for more than say 4 days then we hire a car locally (usually on site) for a couple of days.

If I was going to stay on one site for a long time (3 or 4 months) then I would definitely want to have a car at my disposal but in that case I would have stuck with caravans thus IMHO getting "the best of both worlds"

However as I said at the start - Each to his own! :)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Sometimes things have a habit of sneaking up on you as when we had the average size motor home I always said that I would not tow a car. A few years on and we were spending 5 months in Spain so the motor home went and in came a car and caravan. But come the Summer and wishing to tour France ect we realised we wanted a motor home. So as a compromise I did a panel van conversion but using a new Boxer as the Base vehicle.
As keeping a motor home and caravan was not really an option the caravan went and so did the Volvo XC 90 we used to tow it with and in came a Citroën C1.
I always used to ridicule anyone I saw towing a car behind a panel van but what am I doing next month, towing the C1 on a trailer behind the panel van to Spain.
And as we stay on one site for the 5 months we need something to use on a daily basis so never say never as circumstances and needs change over the years.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If a motor mover is being considered to move the trailer around then a Mr Shifter could be a good idea. When it's not being used it can be stored in the boot or the motorhome locker. They are a very good piece of kit and can move some very heavy weights about. I don't think they are made anymore but I've noticed a couple for sale on E-bay.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I did consider a mr shifter or similar but would be another item to store when not in use, so prefer a fitted motor mover which has auto engage, just fabricating the brackets at the moment as trailer chassis are slightly different to caravan chassis.

I'll be posting info soon

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Why not get an Aframe ??

Runs for cover .........................................................

hahahah that was my original plan and now it's the only plan. The trailer idea is a bit of a no no. I casually presumed that because the motorhome is huge then a trailer would be no problem. Well that isn't the case. Being a tag axle the train weight is only about 1000kgs over the fully laden weight, and as we normally take the whole contents of our house away with us I've estimated that we would probably be overweight. The second problem is the tow bar on my vehicle. On closer inspection I found the plate and it stated that it was rated at 1000kgs, which is amazing as it looks like a steel girder!

Anyway, I don't want to start another A Frame debate so i'll probably give it a few months to see if this mystical decision is made on the legality of them. Mind you, A frame debates are very entertaining................................:LOL:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Mike. Tell the truth and shame the devil time for me....

I've been looking long and hard at transport when we are away. My wife has a disability so it's become apparent we do need that transport.

I've looked at Scooters with three wheels and two. Trikes bikes and quads..

Now I'm back to square one and an Aframe with a wee car is on the cards.

I don't give a monkeys if folk don't agree cos I don't have the luxury of choice. Frankly if I don't sort something out our days of motor homing are numbered.

So I'm with you.. I spoke at length to a chap in France who had a a Smarty on the back of his MH. I can't if I'm honest see a problem.

Some agree some don't. Some say travels to France guarantee a gassing your Rolex and two grand Nicked will happen. Some don't.

I don't have the luxury or the inclination to argue the points.

Good luck with yours mate !

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Mike. Tell the truth and shame the devil time for me....

I've been looking long and hard at transport when we are away. My wife has a disability so it's become apparent we do need that transport.

I've looked at Scooters with three wheels and two. Trikes bikes and quads..

Now I'm back to square one and an Aframe with a wee car is on the cards.

I don't give a monkeys if folk don't agree cos I don't have the luxury of choice. Frankly if I don't sort something out our days of motor homing are numbered.

So I'm with you.. I spoke at length to a chap in France who had a a Smarty on the back of his MH. I can't if I'm honest see a problem.

Some agree some don't. Some say travels to France guarantee a gassing your Rolex and two grand Nicked will happen. Some don't.

I don't have the luxury or the inclination to argue the points.

Good luck with yours mate !

Hi Charlie

Great post! My decision has been made for me after doing proper research on trailers. Whether I will be overweight or not, I do not want to take the risk, because you can bet your bottom dollar that if a serious accident occurs, the police and Insurance company will scrutinise the setup with a fine tooth comb. So all that is left is either an A frame or hiring vehicles when we get to our destination. I have read all the arguments about buying a caravan if you want to tow etc etc but I don't want a caravan, been there done that.

As I see it, VOSA have produced a letter whereby they consider that a towed vehicle is regarded "currently" as a trailer and as there is no legislation to say that an A frame towed vehicle is illegal then that's "currently" good enough for me (Legislation takes many years to go into statute so A frames will be around for a while yet!). However, I need more information regarding the views of my Insurance company on the matter. In particular I need to know that the towed vehicle will be fully comprehensively insured whilst being towed. As I understand it there are only a few Insurance companies who will do fully comp and they are Saga and the NFU? If anyone still interested in this thread could give their experience and advice regarding insurance, I would be very much obliged.

Likewise, if anyone would like to give advice on good suppliers and systems then that too would be really helpful. I am only really interested in the fully braked electronic systems rather than the cable operated systems.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Mike. Take a look at the link below. Read through it carefully mate and let me know what you think ?
If what the seller supplier says is true I just cant see a problem.

I know many are anti but frankly I don't care a jot. I have a transportation problem to sort and I will sort is the best way I can simple as,

If any knowledgeable people understand the technicalities then please tell us what you think.

But please lets not get into another bun fight over what we like and don't like.

Thanks.

Link'
Link Removed

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mike. Take a look at the link below. Read through it carefully mate and let me know what you think ?

I know many are anti but frankly I don't care a jot. I have a transportation problem to sort and I will sort is the best way I can simple as,

If any knowledgeable people understand the technicalities then please tell us what you think.

But please lets not get into another bun fight over what we like and don't like.

Thanks.

Link'
Link Removed
Not really a question of what we like and don't like. There's a very simple statement quoted on here re legality in Spain. There's also a statement from VOSA explaining why it's OK in the UK but not in most Continental countries. M1ke suggests that an A frame is better insurance-wise than overloading by towing a trailer. It's hard to see any difference as far as insurance is concerned than the result of an accident, on the Continent, whilst using a A frame. By all means go ahead with your choice made as a result of your particular needs but don't suggest that previous discussions on the Forum are a bunfight or an argument over Funsters preferences. Simply be aware that it is currently legal in the UK and definitely illegal in most Continental countries - whether enforced or not.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Seems to me that the above system is possibly "the answer" to the best way to tow a car with a MoHo!
As to reversing - well just disconnect the tow bar, flip it up, secure it and reverse the car away!! :)
Unfortunately the Law making bureaucracy of our EU neighbours have not yet (and perhaps never will) sanctioned it as a practical, safe method of bringing a car on holiday with you
For me it's a shame really as most of my motorhoming is abroad, if it were definitely accepted as legal throughout the EU (and in particular in France, Spain & Portugal then I for one would certainly consider it!
However as things stand I'm too scared of getting caught and stopped and all the ramifications of insurance if involved in an accident that I would have no "peace of mind" while towing rendering the holiday far too stressful:(
As to trailers then with the problems/extra work in loading/unloading the car and properly securing it then finding space for MoHo, awning, car and trailer on allocated pitch I think I would prefer to go back to tugging!
However "each to his/her own" this is purely how I "see things! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Not really a question of what we like and don't like. There's a very simple statement quoted on here re legality in Spain. There's also a statement from VOSA explaining why it's OK in the UK but not in most Continental countries. M1ke suggests that an A frame is better insurance-wise than overloading by towing a trailer. It's hard to see any difference as far as insurance is concerned than the result of an accident, on the Continent, whilst using a A frame. By all means go ahead with your choice made as a result of your particular needs but don't suggest that previous discussions on the Forum are a bunfight or an argument over Funsters preferences. Simply be aware that it is currently legal in the UK and definitely illegal in most Continental countries - whether enforced or not.

Luckily I am not bothered about towing in Spain or on the continent. If that need arose I would probably unhitch and my wife could follow, or if we were going far I could hire a car. Most of my touring is in the beautiful UK where we love to explore the tiny country lanes and quaint villages near the coast. The difference in insurance I was talking about was the overweight problem. Towing a Fiat 500 for instance on an A frame = 940kgs. Towing the same car on a light weight trailer =1350kgs which takes me over my limit.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years

Thanks.

Link'
Link Removed

Hi Charlie

I have had a long discussions with Graham who is the Managing Director of Tow Bars 2 Tow Cars and I would advise you to do the same. He fits a fully electronic braking system which seems to fully satisfy VOSA's current requirements and will probably be the company I choose. However I would advise you to buy a car far cheaper elsewhere and get him to convert it. The cost for conversion is £1600 plus vat, so £1900. That includes the conversion of your motorhome to 13 pin plug with live at pin 9 (i think) so that the the car's battery is fully charged when you arrive. Also includes signage, plates A frame bag etc and a red light in the MoHo cab to show you the brakes working in the tow car.. You can buy a 2 month old Toyota Aygo for about £7k at somewhere like Motorpoint Car Supermarket (highly recommended) or a 2 month old Fiat 500 like my wife just did for roughly the same price.

The only arse ache is that you have to take both the tow car and the motorhome up to him. He has suggested I take the car up one day, use his courtesy car to go home and come up the next day with the motorhome and tow the courtesy car back. Otherwise he has hard standing for the motorhome and electric hook up if you want to stay the night. Grimsby??? http://www.tow-bars2tow-cars.co.uk/ Have a look at the video of the motorhome reversing with the tow car attached. It proves it can be done.

There is another company who I have investigated called Smart Tow Link Removed
They fit a system which incorporates a vacuum pump which energises the ABS system of the tow car. There's a video on their website. Cost is fractionally more, but I am considering it. I just need to speak to someone who has had this system fitted to see what they think of it. I have a few months to decide so I am in no rush really. Let me know if you need any more information.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Seems to me that the above system is possibly "the answer" to the best way to tow a car with a MoHo!
As to reversing - well just disconnect the tow bar, flip it up, secure it and reverse the car away!! :)
Unfortunately the Law making bureaucracy of our EU neighbours have not yet (and perhaps never will) sanctioned it as a practical, safe method of bringing a car on holiday with you
For me it's a shame really as most of my motorhoming is abroad, if it were definitely accepted as legal throughout the EU (and in particular in France, Spain & Portugal then I for one would certainly consider it!
However as things stand I'm too scared of getting caught and stopped and all the ramifications of insurance if involved in an accident that I would have no "peace of mind" while towing rendering the holiday far too stressful:(
As to trailers then with the problems/extra work in loading/unloading the car and properly securing it then finding space for MoHo, awning, car and trailer on allocated pitch I think I would prefer to go back to tugging!
However "each to his/her own" this is purely how I "see things! :)

See above #55 re reversing!

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Fully comp insurance on the car while it is being towed - is that possible? - if so at what cost?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Charlie

I have had a long discussions with Graham who is the Managing Director of Tow Bars 2 Tow Cars and I would advise you to do the same. He fits a fully electronic braking system which seems to fully satisfy VOSA's current requirements and will probably be the company I choose. However I would advise you to buy a car far cheaper elsewhere and get him to convert it. The cost for conversion is £1600 plus vat, so £1900. That includes the conversion of your motorhome to 13 pin plug with live at pin 9 (i think) so that the the car's battery is fully charged when you arrive. Also includes signage, plates A frame bag etc and a red light in the MoHo cab to show you the brakes working in the tow car.. You can buy a 2 month old Toyota Aygo for about £7k at somewhere like Motorpoint Car Supermarket (highly recommended) or a 2 month old Fiat 500 like my wife just did for roughly the same price.

The only arse ache is that you have to take both the tow car and the motorhome up to him. He has suggested I take the car up one day, use his courtesy car to go home and come up the next day with the motorhome and tow the courtesy car back. Otherwise he has hard standing for the motorhome and electric hook up if you want to stay the night. Grimsby??? http://www.tow-bars2tow-cars.co.uk/ Have a look at the video of the motorhome reversing with the tow car attached. It proves it can be done.

There is another company who I have investigated called Smart Tow Link Removed
They fit a system which incorporates a vacuum pump which energises the ABS system of the tow car. There's a video on their website. Cost is fractionally more, but I am considering it. I just need to speak to someone who has had this system fitted to see what they think of it. I have a few months to decide so I am in no rush really. Let me know if you need any more information.

Mike

Thanks Mike. That is the same company I linked to above.

I have looked at the video and have actually seen the very same kit fitted to a Smarty.... For me it looks a little insubstantial but I'm no engineer.

I would be very interested in a link to any 2 month old Aygos at 7K. I have found a 15 plate auto for 8600 but not seen a car of that age for anything like 7K

Thanks !

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Thanks Mike. That is the same company I linked to above.

I have looked at the video and have actually seen the very same kit fitted to a Smarty.... For me it looks a little insubstantial but I'm no engineer.

I would be very interested in a link to any 2 month old Aygos at 7K. I have found a 15 plate auto for 8600 but not seen a car of that age for anything like 7K

Thanks !

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/?gclid=CMbuvefPhcgCFYU_Gwod8ecA8g

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

They are not illegal in the UK and they are I'm told acceptable in France.
If my insurance is happy to insure then fine . If not Our van will be up for sale soon. We have tried but mobility sadly means we sort something out if only for use in the UK or France. If it means we cant take a car to Spain then so be it.

I am not suggesting previous topics on this subject are invalid or without worth. The suggestion frankly is is just silly and disrespectful. Those topics however often have developed into a farcical discussion where one side gets annoyed with the other and it gets out of hand.

Its clear that this subject is a little sensitive so perhaps I will discuss with Mike via PM just to prevent irritating those who have a closed mind on the subject. Shame really as I bet there are a few just like Mike and I who are doing nothing more than trying to find the best solutions for our respective needs and/or transport problems. Likely many are to frightened to speak for fear of being had ago at. Me I don't give a monkeys/

To sum up. If my insurance for the Motor Home and the car are happy (They will be the same company) Plus the supplying company are issuing a written statement that their towing devices conform FULLY with legislation then as far as I'm concerned I will buy the car fit the devices and get on with the job.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back