Cannock Chase site open again but what a price! (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2018
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta kyacht85
Exp
4yrs
"Managed," as in someone taking bookings and monitoring the traffic. It's a 10 min drive for me and often thought about going up when it was £10, don't think I will ever bother now. I see pitch up are involved, they seem to be getting into to a few places.
This site isn’t tackeroo,tackeroo was a forestry commission site which is now closed.
This site is a private camping field over the road from birches valley.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
He said £15 for 2 nights.
No. I think it was 56quid?, But the average overall fee for C-L C-S use has risen since before lockdown. most are at least £1 dearer than before with many now in the 15 to 18 quid bracket. Having said that we still know of one CCC site behind a pub on the village green. Who charges £12 with electric and only £10 without. The only drawback is it can get very sticky after a lot of Rain. He lets me use the end of the car park, but the "tuggers" have to use the grass.

P.S. and his wife`s cooking is to die for!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 31, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Booked next week for a short break, Parkdean Hunstanton £8 a night, suits our needs for few days, pub and town close, visits out to Holkham , Wells, Sheringham Park , bargain. Just had amonth on the south coast, sites full and prices high.£25 to £30 not unusual, sign of the times.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Booked next week for a short break, Parkdean Hunstanton £8 a night, suits our needs for few days, pub and town close, visits out to Holkham , Wells, Sheringham Park , bargain. Just had amonth on the south coast, sites full and prices high.£25 to £30 not unusual, sign of the times.
And the toilets/showers and indoor pool are open this week it was £11 per night

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Probably why for the last 20 plus years my roaming has been in Europe, were I am made felt welcome, sites are abundant and often free. Possibly due to a community spirit of working together.
Whilst I take on your point, and it is a viable view. The post was about UK pricing. and they have risen Post Lockdown. Like others I too would love to access Europe again, but cannot (medical insurance issues, in our case). One point I have made before is that, across Europe, the "Aire"/Stellpltatz" systems where set up in a much more liberal and open environment to what now exists. Getting that up and running from scratch now would not (IMV) even be possible. It is reported that more and more of those are becoming "fee paying" too?.

Adam+Jude

Free Member
Feb 20, 2019
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580
Exp
July 2018
Running in Cannock Chase last week I was delighted to see Tackeroo camping ground was open again. Just two vans on and it’s massive! Some hard standing which are bases from the old buildings that were there. It’s basic with just chemical disposal and water but perfect if you like the Forest.

We stayed there years ago when it was £10 a night and the Forestry Commission Rangers would come and see you to get the money. Inevitably some took the mickey and came in late and went early to avoid the low charge. It has gradually closed down to the extent it was never open so I was chuffed it seemed to have opened properly with online booking.

I was going to stay the weekend. That was until I tried to book and saw the price!

£56 for two nights for 2 adults and 2 kids and dog with no facilities or electric is more than a bit steep. Ended up on a CL which is £15 for the two nights.

Whilst it’s great it’s open, the price in my opinion is extortionate and we won’t be using it I am afraid which is a huge shame.
I had booked a site near Inverness which was cancelled due to C19
After lockdown went to rebook and the price had almost doubled.
I understand the need for sites to try and recoup some of their losses, and happy to help
But with more people staycationing this year I felt this over the top and blatant profiteering

Now I wonder, will prices drop back down again or is this the 'new normal'
Seeming a lot of places are at £30+ per night now

Fingers crossed, let's see next year

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I think, as with many things in life, the law of supply & demand is working with regard to site prices

I would suggest to all Funsters that if you think the price is too high, then don't go there - simples🙂

vzm56n

Free Member
Jun 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Carado T132
Exp
since 2012
Lived locally to Tackeroo for some time now and used it when the ranger used to come around and collect the pennies next day for your stop over. Thought it was great at the time to be honest. Would not even consider it now at that cost! Its a joke to be honest!
Steer clear and it will come down Im sure

Kev

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We’ve been away for three weeks and the most expensive site has been Lyndon Top @15.00 pnt without ehu.
We've paid £15.00 with hookup but in a very nice spot. Now on a farm near Lincoln for the show @5.00 pnt with leccy.
We were at Lyndon top in July. It was £12 pn, when did go up to £15 ?
Phil

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Even cheaper at Haven at Perranporth - £38 for 4 nights next week.

£228@ £14.25 a night for 16 nights. Awning, leccy, 2 adults and 2 dogs
£192 @£12 a night Same criteria As above
D457B7D6-0C8D-484D-BE79-330470A9C015.png

Skaggs

Free Member
Sep 27, 2020
Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria 640
Exp
Since 2000
As someone who has only camped in Europe for the last 10 years I am amazed at what sites here in the UK charge. I looked up a site in Sussex that someone has said was really good - - it was £59 a night low season, and this weekend a friend is taking her son away to a site here in Kent and paying £27 a night to pitch her tent. She is new to all this and thinks that is a good price. Two weeks ago I was on a municipal site in Argentan in Normandy which is probably the best-kept site I have ever been on, 25 pitches, excellent sanitary facilities, EHU, right next to a lovely park and 5 minute walk to the town - -12.50 euros a night for our MH and 2 people on a really large pitch.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The problem is that we can talk with our feet and stay away from the ludicrously high priced sites but there are many, on this forum too, for whom money is no object and they won't bother staying away. Hence high prices remain and those, who are having to watch their outgoings, lose out anyway. :(

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The problem is that we can talk with our feet and stay away from the ludicrously high priced sites but there are many, on this forum too, for whom money is no object and they won't bother staying away. Hence high prices remain and those, who are having to watch their outgoings, lose out anyway. :(

While there is pressure on bookings and campsites are near full that will continue, unfortunately for the likes of you.

Geoff

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It's a free (or should that be expensive?) market. Prices will be what the market can bear.
I believe the number of units on the road each year is increasing much faster than the availability of pitches so the demand and prices will rise accordingly.
The cost of a night is small in comparison to everything else in the equation, so I don't think we should be moaning about the price. If many think it's too steep, that may provide more peace and quiet for anyone prepared to pay the premium.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
It's a free (or should that be expensive?) market. Prices will be what the market can bear.
I believe the number of units on the road each year is increasing much faster than the availability of pitches so the demand and prices will rise accordingly.
The cost of a night is small in comparison to everything else in the equation, so I don't think we should be moaning about the price. If many think it's too steep, that may provide more peace and quiet for anyone prepared to pay the premium.
We have booked hotels for less ....think greed/exploitation comes into it.Just because you can afford doesn't mean you have to be overcharged.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
No proper hotels..

Wowcher deals. Don't forget we are comparing a hotel cost with "camping in a field".

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I am considering ditching my caravan club membership when it falls due in February. There are a handful of sites that I love to go to especially Baltic Wharf in Bristol but that is now closing and mostly they are a lot more expensive than C&CC sites.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I dit
I am considering ditching my caravan club membership when it falls due in February. There are a handful of sites that I love to go to especially Baltic Wharf in Bristol but that is now closing and mostly they are a lot more expensive than C&CC sites.
I ditChed mine last year, Janine. I find for solos the C&CC has been much more favourable.... and friendly once there.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I dit

I ditChed mine last year, Janine. I find for solos the C&CC has been much more favourable.... and friendly once there.
For some reason Cirencester Park is still cheap especially midweek but the likes of Tewkesbury, Chirk and Wirral are pushing £20 a night solo.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back