Cannock Chase site open again but what a price! (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Running in Cannock Chase last week I was delighted to see Tackeroo camping ground was open again. Just two vans on and it’s massive! Some hard standing which are bases from the old buildings that were there. It’s basic with just chemical disposal and water but perfect if you like the Forest.

We stayed there years ago when it was £10 a night and the Forestry Commission Rangers would come and see you to get the money. Inevitably some took the mickey and came in late and went early to avoid the low charge. It has gradually closed down to the extent it was never open so I was chuffed it seemed to have opened properly with online booking.

I was going to stay the weekend. That was until I tried to book and saw the price!

£56 for two nights for 2 adults and 2 kids and dog with no facilities or electric is more than a bit steep. Ended up on a CL which is £15 for the two nights.

Whilst it’s great it’s open, the price in my opinion is extortionate and we won’t be using it I am afraid which is a huge shame.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
£15 per night, is I`m afraid becoming "Near Normal" for C-L`s. Post Lockdown. Often just grass, water and a Dump. Add a Hardstand and you are looking at £18p/n.:cry::cry: Pre lockdown I had already stopped using C-L or C-S for overnight stops. preferring Pub Stops instead. £15, helps toward a Meal and a few drinks!.

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Stayed outside Bakewell, on ccc app 10-15, called to book 20 per night plus another 10 for a small tent, was in a rush, sloping field so couldn't get level, no amenities, questioned it on arrival and told this is new price!!!

Seems people are cashing in bit, probably trying to recover lost income

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The only way to stop those who are jumping on the bandwagon is to talk with our wheels..... go to those sites which are NOT rip off.

As a solo pensioner £21 a night... and even more... without hookup, is impossible.

Please let us all agree to do something and SUPPORT those sites which support our hobby with reasonable charges.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Looks like it's now being "managed," 🙄 so prices shot up.
Few pubs around here that allow free overnight.

I think that’s my issue, it isn’t managed. There are no wardens, no block, no electric, just the same as it has always been. Now just doubled in price. It’s my kind of site, at that price however I can stay on the Camping and Caravan site on the Chase with hard standing and electric with facilities for just £4 more.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think that’s my issue, it isn’t managed. There are no wardens, no block, no electric, just the same as it has always been. Now just doubled in price. It’s my kind of site, at that price however I can stay on the Camping and Caravan site on the Chase with hard standing and electric with facilities for just £4 more.

"Managed," as in someone taking bookings and monitoring the traffic. It's a 10 min drive for me and often thought about going up when it was £10, don't think I will ever bother now. I see pitch up are involved, they seem to be getting into to a few places.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We’ve been away for three weeks and the most expensive site has been Lyndon Top @15.00 pnt without ehu.
We've paid £15.00 with hookup but in a very nice spot. Now on a farm near Lincoln for the show @5.00 pnt with leccy.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Got me intrigue, checked the web site and tried different configurations

looks like minimum £20 / night for one or two adults , then another£3 per child , seems a bit mean when there are literally no facilities 🤔

I guess you are paying for the location, but does seem a bit greedy

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
We are talking about parking space for four wheels and often for 24hrs max (often 5pm to 10am ish) so I don't see any reason to charge a penny more than a tenner.
Being able to boast about a 'pub down the road' , or a local bus stop or shop are irrelevant as the site owner doesn't contribute to those amenities.
Water supply, CDP and grey water disposal come at around 2€ in Europe so why more here?
EHUs could, with enough pressure on Government, (there are rules at present I believe about re-sale of electricity) be offered on a metered basis like they are in Germany. We can now buy electricity to re-charge electric vehicles so there should be no reason why similar could not be available to us.

British site owners need to get real as there are getting more and more free or very economically priced overnight stops appearing.

Follow the FB site https://www.facebook.com/groups/campra.uk and you will see that it is happening!

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Lived locally to Tackeroo for some time now and used it when the ranger used to come around and collect the pennies next day for your stop over. Thought it was great at the time to be honest. Would not even consider it now at that cost! Its a joke to be honest!
Steer clear and it will come down Im sure

Kev

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I hope it does become more reasonable as we would love to use it. I just can’t justify £56 for two nights.

I suppose they will eventually get the price right, I just hope they don’t see it as unviable if they don’t get much use, which at that price they won’t.

Paul1958

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
Tavira, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Carthago
The address on the booking website is that of Pye Green Caravan Storage, where I used to keep my m/home It used to be £15 per night to the forest ranger per unit total. It looks like the Forestry Commission have subcontracted it out and £5 has been added per night, plus extra for more than 2 people. Total rip off. I used to borrow my dad's m/home and meet my girlfriend there about 20 years ago :love::love: when it was £4 total p.n. if they bothered to collect.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Tackeroo is not what it used to be, i would not stay there now. Idiots playing loud music all night people coming and going, constant smell of cannabis we didnt feel safe and left early hours of the morning last time we stayed there

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just a thought post school holidays many sites were fully booked some still are therefore the sites can and will charge what is considered a reasonable fee. If you park you car in a nearby town it can cost £4-5 for a couple of hours so maybe campsites are not over the top with their charging.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back