LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Ludicrous answer! If traveller has proof i.e. booking confirmations etc.
Way too complicated to sort . Call the site , book to stay if you live in a tier one or tier two area and show address ID when you arrive . They haven’t got time to start looking into where people have traveled to and from in the last month or more !

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
They are able to check the address and refuse bookings from people in the tier 3 and 4 areas .
They have chosen not to do this .
And get the same abuse that Spriddler DIL received while working at NT Post 33

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
And get the same abuse that Spriddler DIL received while working at NT Post 33
So we are starting to get to the bottom of why things have happened this way . It appears that some people living( home address ) in tier 3 and 4 areas , have been unable to do the correct thing and stay away for the campsites ! As a result everyone suffers now . 🤬🤬

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Way too complicated to sort . Call the site , book to stay if you live in a tier one or tier two area and show address ID when you arrive . They haven’t got time to start looking into where people have traveled to and from in the last month or more !
If they have stayed on club sites they can check all the sites they have stayed on etc If the member is honest and says he is coming from a tier three area they can refuse to book them in.

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
If they have stayed on club sites they can check all the sites they have stayed on etc If the member is honest and says he is coming from a tier three area they can refuse to book them in.

good point 👍🏻

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
And if they are a full timer coming from a tier 3/4 and been wild camping that wants to empty bog and fill up with water and have a shower.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
You have shattered all my illusions, I thought working with the general public would be so easy. Haha
I had enough of it when I had ny launderette.the tales I could tell about or lovable fellow man

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We are being moved on from Littlehampton CAMC site on 26th as it is closing, like the majority of other club sites. However, we could come back in the 2nd Jan when they re-open!

We are full-timers, we have no house to go to. The correspondence address we use is mum in laws in London, we have never lived or stayed there (small, wardened and 1 bed).

We spoke with CAMC and explained the situation to them. Apparently, they have one site per region remaining open for full-timers, Midlands, North, S. West and S.East etc. As we are in the South, they offered us a site in London in a Tier 4 high risk area. We have never been to a high risk tier 3 or tier 4 place, so politely refused.

We then decided to contact the CAMC affiliated site we were on during the last lockdown in Nov, and they have agreed to take us back indeffinitely, which is a great relief.

The CCC and CAMC have handled things differently even though they have had the same advice from the govt. which is their prerogative However, closing and then reopening sites from 26th to 2nd Jan seems a little strange to me, unless they felt that the sites would be overrun with rawdy customers on NY eve??🤔

I am disappointed to read that some site staff have been victimised during this saga and feel sorry for any Warden, team member or customer service person who has been abused, as it is not their fault at all. The ones we have met and spoken with have been nothing short of professional, courteous and concerned that we would have nowhere to live for a week or so.

So to all staff at CAMC, CCC, Affiliated, CL, CS, Brit Stop pubs and private campsite owners I wish you a very Merry Christmas, a healthy and happy 2021 and hope that the extra few days off between Christmas and NY mean you can spend some quality time with the ones you love.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
We stopped at Long Acres in Lingfield on way back from across the water last week! Very nice! Open all year. I think its a residential/touring site. Posh showers, 50p a go. PM for any details. In hindsight we should have stayed in Belgium. Bread delivery every day. Nice farm and nice owners and a quarter of UK prices!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Yes! there is nothing wrong with being a traveller.
No, us fulltimers aren't travellers. Technically we are homeless, but because we use relatives/friends addresses for insurance, bank, driving licence and the like it muddies the water a bit.
There are quite a few homeless in most towns but not many that have sold houses and spent many thousands of pounds on motorhome to travel and live in permanently.
And good on you.
When I am away in motorhome I can class my self a traveller.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
We have been full time for five years. After the March lock down when we were told to leave the Littlehampton club site we had nowhere to go other than just parking in the street. That was not an issue but with the network shut down you then have the water and waste issue to deal with along with law enforcement telling you to go hone. Pointing out that the van is your hone us no good. They just say move on. The CMC then did allow full timers to stay on sites but those who were kicked off already could not return so we were the nomad class. It’s funny how narrowboat owners living full time on the water were not told to return to bricks and mortar. We got through the last lock down with the great weather we had. Saw this one coming and had guessed the CMC would again duck out in support of full timers so we have rented a flat till the spring. The CMC is only fir tourists real campsites who support full timers are the networks fir the future
Don't hold your breath on there being sites that support fulltimers, I tried getting a site of that sorted a few years back, it didn't matter which way I tried to get it passed the council it hit a brick wall.

That said it might still come off but it would be under the radar, I replaced a borehole pump at a plant nursery a few weeks back and noticed what was a CS on the back field. There is EHU, toilet and one shower, water tap and elsan point, the old boy who owns it packed it up a couple of years ago so I'm looking to reopen it.

There are some sticking points though, the access isn't brilliant but good enough, there is nothing apart from a pub in the village, the nearest shop is about 5 miles away. If it does come off no one who hasn't got a car motorbike would be welcome, that might sound harsh but if the locals kept seeing the same MoHo coming and going it would give the game away.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
And if they are a full timer coming from a tier 3/4 and been wild camping that wants to empty bog and fill up with water and have a shower.
If you are a fulltimer you should always have a backup plan in case things go wrong, I know we can't predict a pandemic but what happens if you fall ill and are hospitalised.

We are nearly 12 months into this mess now which is plenty of time to contact anyone and everyone you know whose got a bit of land you can pull on wether that be a farm, or work yard. It's not difficult even if you don't know anyone personally ring every friend in your phone and ask them if they know anyone who can help.

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
If you are a fulltimer you should always have a backup plan in case things go wrong, I know we can't predict a pandemic but what happens if you fall ill and are hospitalised.

We are nearly 12 months into this mess now which is plenty of time to contact anyone and everyone you know whose got a bit of land you can pull on wether that be a farm, or work yard. It's not difficult even if you don't know anyone personally ring every friend in your phone and ask them if they know anyone who can help.
I am glad to see you thought this out and had a plan in place . Makes my New Years holiday seem insignificant now I think about how life must be for you at the moment . Although I bet you have things sorted out and are nice and safe . Good luck to you 👍🏻

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I am glad to see you thought this out and had a plan in place . Makes my New Years holiday seem insignificant now I think about how life must be for you at the moment . Although I bet you have things sorted out and are nice and safe . Good luck to you 👍🏻
I've full timed for 30 years on and off, it's second nature now. I overwinter on one of three farms in Suffolk, I don't originate around here and have no connection with farming but I work for people and tell them I live in my truck, if they've got a yard, bit of ground I plant the seed for people, never had a problem finding somewhere to pull.

Admittedly it's not been easy sometimes but I'm a persistent little bleeder, I pulled on the farm where I am now to overwinter last year my truck hasn't turned a wheel since. All good here thanks, have a lovely Christmas.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Don't hold your breath on there being sites that support fulltimers, I tried getting a site of that sorted a few years back, it didn't matter which way I tried to get it passed the council it hit a brick wall.

That said it might still come off but it would be under the radar, I replaced a borehole pump at a plant nursery a few weeks back and noticed what was a CS on the back field. There is EHU, toilet and one shower, water tap and elsan point, the old boy who owns it packed it up a couple of years ago so I'm looking to reopen it.

There are some sticking points though, the access isn't brilliant but good enough, there is nothing apart from a pub in the village, the nearest shop is about 5 miles away. If it does come off no one who hasn't got a car motorbike would be welcome, that might sound harsh but if the locals kept seeing the same MoHo coming and going it would give the game away.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
On the issue of having bookings cancelled I was somewhat surprised at the comments made to me by a site reception colleague... not a club site... our new Year break from 29th December was cancelled cos we are legally registered ( dl, insurance, doctors etc) at an address in tier 3 then 4 despite not having lived there since all this began. Absolutely agree with that no problem however disappointing.
When the site contacted me I was told I could "argue" the decision. I laughed and the young lady said "you'd be surprised how many do" !

What is there to argue.. some people should be chemically neutered.

May 18, 2014
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation3
Exp
Since 2011
We've been members of the Camping & Caravanning Club for almost more years than I care to remember and had booked our Christmas 'break' at the Canterbury Site. Then we learnt that Kent was in Tear 4 and decided to go elsewhere.

We thought that either Devizes or Shrewsbury would be nice - both in Tier 2. A quick email to the C&CC and a response was received almost by return advising that there was space at both. SWLTBO preferred Shrewsbury so we booked ... Devizes!

Recently we learnt that our area - Buckinghamshire - was going into Tier 4 and that put the kybosh on any travel outside the Tier. A quick call to the C&CC, explained the situation and the lady then asked if we wanted to transfer the booking to a later date or did I want a refund?

Brilliant service and membership renewal deferred for the time they were locked down. Definitely will stay with them as we also like their CS' not to mention their (usually) polite, friendly staff.

Take care everybody and here's to safe travels in 2021.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
We have been full time for five years. After the March lock down when we were told to leave the Littlehampton club site we had nowhere to go other than just parking in the street. That was not an issue but with the network shut down you then have the water and waste issue to deal with along with law enforcement telling you to go hone. Pointing out that the van is your hone us no good. They just say move on. The CMC then did allow full timers to stay on sites but those who were kicked off already could not return so we were the nomad class. It’s funny how narrowboat owners living full time on the water were not told to return to bricks and mortar. We got through the last lock down with the great weather we had. Saw this one coming and had guessed the CMC would again duck out in support of full timers so we have rented a flat till the spring. The CMC is only fir tourists real campsites who support full timers are the networks fir the future

Part of the problem I see (full time 3 years) is that I have no evidence at all that I am FT, except passing on a phone number or two of people who will say yes I am FT. I think that is something that needs sorting. My 'address' is friends in Suffolk, I spend a couple of nights a year there, never have lived there and never will, I am in Devon at the moment.

Usually I spend winter tootling around the UK, but decided to come back to 'work' this Tuesday as I just cannot justify to myself travelling around staying on CL's. Even though the work campsite is actually closed, I am very grateful to be tucked up here to their house (trying to avoid locals putting in complaints) (but then there is the question, that if this was an ordinary house rather than a house with a campsite on its land, I would be able to stay on the driveway without any issues at all).

I was very touched when the first lockdown came in how many people contacted me and offered me a place to stay.

And as to the hornet nest of CAMC or CCC, personally I'm very tempted to ditch CCC, the only issues I have ever had have all been CCC, and I made the capital mistake of seeing their headquarters. But still keep both.

johnmac185

Free Member
Nov 11, 2016
North Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
C class Autosleeper
Exp

johnmac185

Free Member
Nov 11, 2016
North Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
C class Autosleeper
Exp
Hi Eggs, why would the locals be concerned with the same MH coming and going to give the game away, i like your plans and ideas but what are you doing thats not legal, is ther something you ommited to telling us,,,,j

Jan 7, 2018
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Corado T447
Exp
Since 2017
That statement has really brightened my morning!
Without the campsites being open where the ‘watzits’ are full timers going?
We can’t go ‘home’ MiL lives there, she is 90 and not in best of health and in tier 4!

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Part of the problem I see (full time 3 years) is that I have no evidence at all that I am FT, except passing on a phone number or two of people who will say yes I am FT. I think that is something that needs sorting. My 'address' is friends in Suffolk, I spend a couple of nights a year there, never have lived there and never will, I am in Devon at the moment.

Usually I spend winter tootling around the UK, but decided to come back to 'work' this Tuesday as I just cannot justify to myself travelling around staying on CL's. Even though the work campsite is actually closed, I am very grateful to be tucked up here to their house (trying to avoid locals putting in complaints) (but then there is the question, that if this was an ordinary house rather than a house with a campsite on its land, I would be able to stay on the driveway without any issues at all).

I was very touched when the first lockdown came in how many people contacted me and offered me a place to stay.

And as to the hornet nest of CAMC or CCC, personally I'm very tempted to ditch CCC, the only issues I have ever had have all been CCC, and I made the capital mistake of seeing their headquarters. But still keep both.
Good for you and keep safe. It just appears that being on four or six wheels, we are able to be targeted. As mention people on a boat in a marina (floating campsite) or tied up on a river/canel are not told to move on. Again these nomadic travellers only have a fixed address when they long term at a marina thus an address can be created the same way us nomads can take up residence at a campsite and use that address as the perminante location.

What I take out of all this is that many people live different ways to the norm (bricks and mortar) but the mainstream have never come across or understood how people live.
The two main clubs are not set up for longterm pitches. That is why in the CMC rules the maximum number of nights allowed is 2 so that way they can wash their hands of the logtermers who are members.

Happy Christmas

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Good for you and keep safe. It just appears that being on four or six wheels, we are able to be targeted. As mention people on a boat in a marina (floating campsite) or tied up on a river/canel are not told to move on. Again these nomadic travellers only have a fixed address when they long term at a marina thus an address can be created the same way us nomads can take up residence at a campsite and use that address as the perminante location.

What I take out of all this is that many people live different ways to the norm (bricks and mortar) but the mainstream have never come across or understood how people live.
The two main clubs are not set up for longterm pitches. That is why in the CMC rules the maximum number of nights allowed is 2 so that way they can wash their hands of the logtermers who are members.

Happy Christmas
I agree about the need for facilities to be made available for fulltimers during these difficult times but the two main clubs are in essence only providers of holiday accomodation.

My son has been lucky to find an independent campsite who looked after him during the first lockdown and, although they are technically closed during January, they have agreed to allow Adam to park there. (We assume his back-up, the nearby C&CC site, will be closed as they are going to be in Tier 4)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back