Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have been full time for five years. After the March lock down when we were told to leave the Littlehampton club site we had nowhere to go other than just parking in the street. That was not an issue but with the network shut down you then have the water and waste issue to deal with along with law enforcement telling you to go hone. Pointing out that the van is your hone us no good. They just say move on. The CMC then did allow full timers to stay on sites but those who were kicked off already could not return so we were the nomad class. It’s funny how narrowboat owners living full time on the water were not told to return to bricks and mortar. We got through the last lock down with the great weather we had. Saw this one coming and had guessed the CMC would again duck out in support of full timers so we have rented a flat till the spring. The CMC is only fir tourists real campsites who support full timers are the networks fir the future

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
This year our CMC usage was minimal, only 3 nights away, mainly due to my health problems. Not the fault of the Club. The cost of Club membership is not something I judge on a value for money basis otherwise the whole MH thing would be out of the window based on this year's usage.

At least the CMC no deposit booking system allowed us to cancel without penalty. A great resource for MHers like us who prefer quality sites in good locations. By contrast, a private site closed due to the first lockdown but kept our deposit. I hope that deposit will be honoured for 2021 bookings but we shall see. If they ask for another deposit they can spin on it.

We can't predict if and when we can use the CMC in 2021 but here's hoping it will be a better year for more trips. So we will start planning and booking again soon, and renew our membership. Onwards and upwards!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I think it's the safest and best solution for C&MC as I wouldn't expect the warden on each site to have to check every booking to see what Tier the intended visitor resides in.
My very gentle DIL really loves her job at the NT property, Petworth House (Tier 2), on Reception, meeting and greeting etc. When visitors present their membership cards their home location is apparent.
On Saturday a middle aged couple arrived from a London address (Tier 4) and as instructed by the NT she told them they could not enter the house but could walk in the grounds.
They were extremely aggressive and offensive and since that was the the third time in ten days that she has been so badly treated that she is considering giving up the job. I guess that staff at camp sites and other public public places face the same issues. What a horrible state of affairs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I’ve been more than fair to the CAMC this year . Paying full membership to “ keep the club going 🙄” , I was at that point happy to do this .
Their decision yesterday (22nd of December)to close all Club sites at 12pm 26th of December and reopen on January 2nd has made me decide to cancel my membership and never use them again . It’s absolutely unfair . What’s the point in a tier system if they don’t follow those rules ? I tried to phone and ask but they close at 5pm . I went on a live chat and the advisor just said it’s down to “ government guidance “ 🙄The C&C club will be keeping their sites open in tier 1 and 2 and because of this I will be joining them next year . I am not paying for a club membership I can’t even use ! 🤬🤬
I know how to find campsites I meant how to find the ones that are likely to stay open in these difficult times!
Thank you all the same.
We were lucky when we were asked to leave a site during the first lockdown and found a sympathetic campsite / farm who actually understood our motorhome was our main residence. Most campsites shrugged and quoted their translation of the rules.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
There are a number of things I am continuing to subscribe to, not just things to do with Motor Homing, even though I’m not getting much (if any) use out of them.

My reasoning for this is if I don’t subscribe they may not exist for much longer, therefore cutting down on my options for a number of my hobbies. If I can afford it I’ll pay......for now at least. (y)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We can but hope that the modellers are wrong and their projection of possibly "tens of thousands" of deaths if this new wave isn't stopped is just a technical possibility rather than a grim reality. I think that maybe the time of thinking that we can have our cake and eat it has passed and if a national lockdown at Tier 4 is not announced sooner rather than later, finding a hospital that isn't overwhelmed is probably going to be more of a priority than finding a campsite.
Agree with you and if you are an individual that needs hospital treatment reducing the number of Covid patients will mean you get to be seen sooner rather than sometime in 2025 (this may be an exaggeration but I hear the waiting times have gone up considerably)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Problem for these organisations is that the general advice regardless of tier is "essential travel" they will be trying to protect themselves, but also the business aspect, surely its not cost affective to open and close all the time...
I was talking to a warden and he was explains what has to be done to mothball and unmothball a site. Major work and cost.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I know how to find campsites I meant how to find the ones that are likely to stay open in these difficult times!
Thank you all the same.
Mind you if your MoHo is on the drive you can spend time away from home there, all the benefits of Hookup waste disposal and an extended food source with amenities such as the dishwasher and washing machine (without the need for finding coins)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Seriously, what do you expect them to do right now. Any arrangements you make right now are likely to get cancelled. Don’t blame them for the appalling situation.
Enjoy Christmas at home its not the worst thing that can happen.
Phil

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
We have been full time for five years. After the March lock down when we were told to leave the Littlehampton club site we had nowhere to go other than just parking in the street. That was not an issue but with the network shut down you then have the water and waste issue to deal with along with law enforcement telling you to go hone. Pointing out that the van is your hone us no good. They just say move on. The CMC then did allow full timers to stay on sites but those who were kicked off already could not return so we were the nomad class. It’s funny how narrowboat owners living full time on the water were not told to return to bricks and mortar. We got through the last lock down with the great weather we had. Saw this one coming and had guessed the CMC would again duck out in support of full timers so we have rented a flat till the spring. The CMC is only fir tourists real campsites who support full timers are the networks fir the future
You could always try the traveller sites . . . . . ;-)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Mind you if your MoHo is on the drive you can spend time away from home there, all the benefits of Hookup waste disposal and an extended food source with amenities such as the dishwasher and washing machine (without the need for finding coins)

Been out on a short tour today in our van......Asda, the local butcher and home.

About 5 miles.....good roads.....light traffic......not the best scenery. ;)

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We cancelled our C&CC membership in protest of how they treated their staff and randomly closed sites, I wrote to them detailing our decision and never had the courtesy of a reply.

Better and cheaper private sites are readily available and support the owners rather than a so called "club".

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Not a member of any of them. Whilst we can get decent sites that are not affiliated why would i need to. Cost's are not a reason to us.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Having written a number of versions for a response to the post and replies and have deleted them, decided this is best.

Speechless! Think about it!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
There are a number of things I am continuing to subscribe to, not just things to do with Motor Homing, even though I’m not getting much (if any) use out of them.

My reasoning for this is if I don’t subscribe they may not exist for much longer, therefore cutting down on my options for a number of my hobbies. If I can afford it I’ll pay......for now at least. (y)
do you think loosing either or both of the clubs would be a bad thing?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
My very gentle DIL really loves her job at the NT property, Petworth House (Tier 2), on Reception, meeting and greeting etc. When visitors present their membership cards their home location is apparent.
On Saturday a middle aged couple arrived from a London address (Tier 4) and as instructed by the NT she told them they could not enter the house but could walk in the grounds.
They were extremely aggressive and offensive and since that was the the third time in ten days that she has been so badly treated that she is considering giving up the job. I guess that staff at camp sites and other public public places face the same issues. What a horrible state of affairs.
Please can you say to your DiL that I am very sorry that she faced such ignorant rude people , we have loved visiting NT properties and hope she doesn’t let the behaviour of a few spoil her enjoyment of the job.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Thousands of people dead everyday due to this pandemic and the amount of time I hear people complaining about insignificant things (pubs are closed, can’t travel to my holiday home, CAMC has cancelled our booking etc etc)

It beggars belief. :banghead:

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Thousands of people dead everyday due to this pandemic and the amount of time I hear people complaining about insignificant things (pubs are closed, can’t travel to my holiday home, CAMC has cancelled our booking etc etc)

I am sorry you don’t see my frustration and confusion here . We live in a tier one area luckily enough . I am simply asking why CAMC are closing sites in tier 1 and 2 when they are not required to do so . I am not entitled to discuss these issues on a motorhome forum ? There is an ignore button on each thread if you find it irritating to read .

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Been a member for many years and hope to continue for a few more years!Will the people who moan be happy if the club folded and all sites where closed down?They can’t win whatever decisions they make!They have to go with government advice unlike a I admit a minority of the public.
Yes, I'd miss 'em.
I only use the m/h in the U.K. a few nights a year to attend particular weekend events and family gatherings (I like the opportunity to relax in my own space) when access to a reliably well run site with clean facilities is a priority (I do like a newly ironed cravat) even though abroad I'm happy to 'rough it' using aires and no-facility informal places.
The annual subscription is no more than half a tank of diesel.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp

It certainly does.

Plus the hundreds of thousands risking their own lives working to save the lives of complete strangers.
Most won't even be having Christmas at home.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
do you think loosing either or both of the clubs would be a bad thing?
Don’t know really.

However, today I spent £1.10 on our local paper. Hardly anything in it as there are no local events or local sport going on. News reports are pretty sparse as well, but if people stopped buying it during these strange times, it will fold and we’d probably lose our only local paper for good.

I then went to our local Independent Fish and Chip shop and got a takeaway. I spent £15 on food for me and my wife. Not particularly pleasant to sit outside in the drizzle eating it. However, if we don’t support our local Independent that will disappear as well.
Yes, we’ll still be able to get a McDonald’s, KFC, Gregg’s etc but not the food we’ve enjoyed for about 30 years.

If people are unhappy with something, then it’s their prerogative to vote with their feet. I’m just saying, once something as gone will there be anything to replace it?

What survives depends on whether people want to support it. (y)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I am sorry you don’t see my frustration and confusion here . We live in a tier one area luckily enough . I am simply asking why CAMC are closing sites in tier 1 and 2 when they are not required to do so . I am not entitled to discuss these issues on a motorhome forum ? There is an ignore button on each thread if you find it irritating to read .
They are doing their bit to stop peaple moving about and spreading the virus. If they stay open just in tier 1&2 they will still get peaple come from other tiers who think thats it’s so important to go away and sod every one else. If they stayed open there would be another thread on here saying why are the club sites staying open encouraging peaple to travel from every tier. It’s a bit like Boris really what ever you do you will be wrong.

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Don’t know really.

However, today I spent £1.10 on our local paper. Hardly anything in it as there are no local events or local sport going on. News reports are pretty sparse as well, but if people stopped buying it during these strange times, it will fold and we’d probably lose our only local paper for good.

I then went to our local Independent Fish and Chip shop and got a takeaway. I spent £15 on food for me and my wife. Not particularly pleasant to sit outside in the drizzle eating it. However, if we don’t support our local Independent that will disappear as well.
Yes, we’ll still be able to get a McDonald’s, KFC, Gregg’s etc but not the food we’ve enjoyed for about 30 years.

If people are unhappy with something, then it’s their prerogative to vote with their feet. I’m just saying, once something as gone will there be anything to replace it?

What survives depends on whether people want to support it. (y)
I was more than happy to keep support them through the lockdown and second lockdown .
My issue is the decision to shut when they don’t have to at all . They are able to stay open yet have chosen to close and then suggest it’s the government guidance that had forced this .
It’s simply not the case . I have chosen to take my memberships to a club that will listen to the government advice and stick to it rather than change things to suit their business and disregard the paying customer !

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
They are doing their bit to stop peaple moving about and spreading the virus. If they stay open just in tier 1&2 they will still get peaple come from other tiers who think thats it’s so important to go away and sod every one else. If they stayed open there would be another thread on here saying why are the club sites staying open encouraging peaple to travel from every tier. It’s a bit like Boris really what ever you do you will be wrong.
They are able to check the address and refuse bookings from people in the tier 3 and 4 areas .
They have chosen not to do this .

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
They are able to check the address and refuse bookings from people in the tier 3 and 4 areas .
They have chosen not to do this .
So what if someone from a tier 3 area has been travelling in his motorhome in tier one and two and not been home for a few months. Does that mean he can’t go on a campsite in tier one and two just because his address in his membership is in tier three.

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
So what if someone from a tier 3 area has been travelling in his motorhome in tier one and two and not been home for a few months. Does that mean he can’t go on a campsite in tier one and two just because his address in his membership is in tier three.
yes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back