Cancellation of policy. (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
i have posted elsewhere on the Forum (Motorhome Chat - Insurance Rant) regarding a ludicrously high quote for changing my motorhome during the term of insurance.

I have since received reasonable quotes from other providers but I have been told by a friend that, if I cancel my existing policy, I will not be able to carry over my NCD to a new policy with another company.

That would mean I would have to stay with the C&CC Policy I presently have who have quoted me £1030 extra to switch vehicles. (Only £9k more expensive m/h than my existing one, covered by them for £307pa).

Does anyone have a definitive answer to the NCD on mid term cancellation?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Some companies dont apply or use a NCD system.
So always ask.. Comfort and safeguard just give a price, dont think either have ever asked for proof of any NCD when i moved between them.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Certainly worth contacting Comfort, because they don't base their premiums on NCD as such.

The other thing you could do is ask C&CC if they will write a letter confirming your NCD entitlement. Obviously, it would only be up until the last time you renewed ie not the part year that you propose to cancel. And they will in any case deduct an admin charge from your refund of premium, so presumably that would include covering the cost of preparing and sending a no claims confirmation letter.

When I changed my car I also changed my insurer. It did however coincide with the insurance renewal, so I had a renewal invitation confirming the NCD entitlement. BUT my new insurer wouldn't accept that and said I had to get a letter from my old insurer confirming I had not kept my old car and renewed the insurance.

In other words, the new insurer wasn't satisfied with my word that I wasn't trying to apply the NCD from one vehicle to two vehicles - which I wasn't.

In any case, my old insurer produced the letter without any question, confirming I'd terminated my insurance with them and again stating what NCD I was entitled to.

I was somewhat frustrated with the faff of it - never been asked for that before - and rather wished I'd stuck with the original insurer. Trouble was, both companies were branded to the make of car, and promising to always use main agents and genuine parts for any repairs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@mikebeaches
We are on full NCD i.e. More than 9 years so up to last renewal, (30th September) would not be a problem.

I am expecting a hit by admin charge but I will accept that. I found the C&CC's attitude totally horrifying in their treatment of this. Last time we upgraded our vehicle midterm it cost about an extra £85, not £1030!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I couldn't agree more and really don't understand what has gone wrong. It certainly doesn't sound like the way to treat a club member (or anybody else for that matter).

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@mikebeaches
If you haven't read my "insurance rant" in motorhome chat it is at least worth reading my last posting as to the "explanation" I was given for the size of the increase.

I didn't realise any Club would treat its members with such contempt.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It's worth knowing that if you use an insurance company who does not request or takes notice of your no claims allowance then if you leave them to go elsewhere they will not give you proof of your original no claims allowance. I believe that a no claims allowance has to be used within 2 years otherwise you will lose it. When you leave an insurance company who has used your allowance then make sure that you get a letter from them with your claims allowance on it.

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
NFU Mutual provide you with proof of NCD, if required, for a cancelled vehicle or policy and and is valid for 2 years.

Any policy cancelled with them mid term also provides you with a pro rata return of premium for the remainder of the year unused.

If your existing insurers won't provide you with proof of NCD then ask them for a letter showing your claims experience for the last 7 years. This you can then pass on to your new insures for NCD to be applied.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Been with Comfort for 3 years now, and can confirm they don't operate NCD perse, although our premiums have reduced year on year.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Whenever I change company, they have always asked what No Claims Discount I had previously and I assume they can check. I am with 'Shield' who continued to offer my previous discount.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have taken out a Policy with Safeguard who have asked for proof of NCD within 28 days of the commencement of the Policy.

So fat, the C&CC have agreed to provide it when my Policy is cancelled within the next week.

For information, I will post the final outcome.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
NFU Mutual provide you with proof of NCD, if required, for a cancelled vehicle or policy and and is valid for 2 years.

Any policy cancelled with them mid term also provides you with a pro rata return of premium for the remainder of the year unused.

If your existing insurers won't provide you with proof of NCD then ask them for a letter showing your claims experience for the last 7 years. This you can then pass on to your new insures for NCD to be applied.

Try NFU they allowed my no claimed from wife’s policy as I drove a works van that didn’t qualify for NCD and I drove on wife’s policy
Don't want to appear to be a walking advert for nfu but as I have posted before, they are never the cheapest, but for fairness and less hassle, just can't be beat(y):)

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I changed my van early last year midway through the insured period, small admin charge and it went up by just over £200 pa, the new van was over twice the value of the previous one. well done Comfort

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I changed my van early last year midway through the insured period, small admin charge and it went up by just over £200 pa, the new van was over twice the value of the previous one. well done Comfort
I spoke to the C&CC regarding insuring the new m/h. It appears that their underwriters are not restricted to how much they can increase charges with a mid-term change of m/h, only at normal renewed time.

I have lodged my complaint with C&CC who will "consider" it when arranging cover providers.

It appears that currently their providers are limited to a certain % increase on renewal but not mid-term. I have never come across this before in over thirty years of motorhoming or Caravanning.

Oh, well, they have just lost my business.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Just changed to comfort who didn't ask for ncd...
Reason I changed was that AIB charged me £50 to change my address. ..
Comfort were a few quid cheaper but I was always going to leave AIB.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Reading threads like this just reinforces my opinion of the insurance industry, and yes I'm mindful that loads try to scam them as well :D
On the point of no claims discount and proof... whats the reason they ask you for proof... surely they only have to check their database to see what claims you have made..
I was reading a thread which indicated they could tell you you had made a claim if you had neglected to tell them... so why the insistence on proof of no claims ... which I have been asked for before as well..
Andy.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Reading threads like this just reinforces my opinion of the insurance industry, and yes I'm mindful that loads try to scam them as well :D
On the point of no claims discount and proof... whats the reason they ask you for proof... surely they only have to check their database to see what claims you have made..
I was reading a thread which indicated they could tell you you had made a claim if you had neglected to tell them... so why the insistence on proof of no claims ... which I have been asked for before as well..
Andy.
A very good point, but I have no idea!

I may well ask them when I send proof of NCD.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Just changed to comfort who didn't ask for ncd...
Reason I changed was that AIB charged me £50 to change my address. ..
Comfort were a few quid cheaper but I was always going to leave AIB.
We left AIB for the same reason but they dragged their heels in giving us proof of no claims

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back