Can you wire an inverter into the mains sockets? (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Auto change over or separate sockets. Otherwise you risk sparkles if you forget about it when you plug into the ehu with inv on.
Tina L beat me to it.

I wired our manual changeover like this so there can be no sparks... I Even let Ann change it over for her hair dryer 👌😁

20210129_143752.jpg

IMAG1027.jpg

And If you do it quick the TV doesn't even go off 👍

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Keep it simple: Have a separate socket (or series of sockets).
Anything else is unnecessarily complex (and probably beyond you).
Agreed. That was what I was trying to say :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
very detailed instructions from Techno

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
What I done was bought some similar sockets , put where I wanted !! turned upside down so we knew what sockets were off inverter, cost was cheap , took a few hours to do, and as they are upside down near the floor most of them, it made it easier to run cables , when plugging in as they were low down the appliance cables have no bends , but most of all my wife is Happy . :inlove:

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
In real life if you connect the output of the inverter to the mains the inverter would just go bang. :rofl:
Are you sure. I think your consumer unit would have a chance of going bang as well.

I'm not an electrician, but I do work for an electricity supply company so I am going to consult an expert and get a definitive answer for the OP. Although I bet he wished he'd never asked now.

It was an interesting question and something to brighten another dull day 🤞

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
Thanks,what you doing up this time of the morning/night?

Would be interesting to see how to wire it up as yours?

Colyboy
getting ready for work this is late used to start at 6 in previous job, My wiring is about the same as post 31 although I do have an rcd socket that is just wired to inverter which is remote control and hidden under seat so I have a night light in the socket so i know at a glance if inverter is on

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
That flying socket is dangerous you should sort that before you use it again.
The 240v block has no cable clamps inside it so I zip tied to the fly-lead and charger cable to the bulkhead for now (piccy was whilst I was installing it ages ago) so happy to leave it until I can get the right bits.

Deleted User
Ah! But Ah! But Ah! But Ah!

When you plug the 230v from the Inverter back into the van you are charging the Hab. batteries via the on board battery charger??? (or do you unplug it?)
Doesnt a battery charger use 120w.
I thought about doing this a while back, until I realised Id be pulling power from my batteries so the onboard charger can charge them! :giggle:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Not recommended as the fridge and battery charger will be powered by the inverter. Far better to fit a changeover relay and isolate the fridge & charger circuits, that's what I did.

I am also going to pull you up on your dangerous wiring. The outer sheath of your mains cables should terminate inside the box and should have cable clamps on them.
Detention from Lenny!!

Gary Molloy

Free Member
Aug 23, 2018
Funster No
Doesn't a silent generator give you the power you need and solar?solar isn't that good in the UK,but there are some excellent silent generators for £500.they do the job and give you the power you need.it all seems to be complicated when there's an easier option

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Doesn't a silent generator give you the power you need and solar?solar isn't that good in the UK,but there are some excellent silent generators for £500.they do the job and give you the power you need.it all seems to be complicated when there's an easier option
is there such a thing as a silent generator except solar panels?:unsure:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I thought about doing this a while back, until I realised Id be pulling power from my batteries so the onboard charger can charge them! :giggle:
You are right but also wrong.
By doing that, you are using say 120watts worth of battery ie 10amps but you would not be getting that 10amps back in your batteries from the charger.
If what you were suggesting was a feasible option then no one would need EHU. You would have a self perpetuating source of energy.
Oh! I wish!

Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
Keep it simple: Have a separate socket (or series of sockets).
Anything else is unnecessarily complex (and probably beyond you).
I agree, I have two sockets installed at each location, original OEM type so it looks like factory fitted. If on low 6A EHU then the option is there to run additional appliances from the 2KW Victron inverter. Works great for me.

Deleted User
You are right but also wrong.
By doing that, you are using say 120watts worth of battery ie 10amps but you would not be getting that 10amps back in your batteries from the charger.
If what you were suggesting was a feasible option then no one would need EHU. You would have a self perpetuating source of energy.
Oh! I wish!
yes i had realised that

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I agree, I have two sockets installed at each location, original OEM type so it looks like factory fitted. If on low 6A EHU then the option is there to run additional appliances from the 2KW Victron inverter. Works great for me.
It can be difficult to find matching sockets (and costly). I chose different sockets to remind myself what they were.

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
We bought an inverter from Roadpro with an integral auto switch over. They are a little bit more expensive than a standard inverter but we thought it would be worth it. The wiring was too complicated for me not to mention potentionally dangerous. We gave the job to to a local electrical company. It took a little while to complete and afterwards they said they don't normally do this sort of work as they are auto electricians! A good job though and it works perfectly. We have the existing sockets powered from the inverter and we push the button to provide power.The sockets to the 'fridge and Truma heater are excluded when the invertor is powered up.The remote control saves having to lift seat bases to switch it on or off. If mains voltage is applied to the invertor via EHU it automatically switches over, No sparks!! Note:switching the invertor on is done via the remote switch this bit is not automatic .NDS 1000W Pure Sine Inverter with Priority Switch

Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
I agree with Two I have a dedicated socket which supplied by the inverter which I isolate if not being used. mind it is easy for me as i only use to charge bike battery and laptop.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
If van has mains 3 pin sockets installed, if/could you take the wire from an inverter a fix to these? Or would you have to wire a dedicated 3 pin socket to use say a Remoska.

colyboy
Buy one of these (below) easy to fit and no worries about having inverter on by mistake - no need to isolate. Been using it in our camper van now for months.
610BSHvOWhL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Link: Amazon product ASIN B073PRZGN2

Caravan newbie

Free Member
Aug 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Fairway
Should you use a residual voltage device with your inverter in a caravan? Some forums say you should if it's powering more than one socket.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As the only 230v appliances we usually use are hairdryer and a low wattage kettle when on the tunnel or the road in hot weather (to avoid heating up the interior that has only just got cool by aircon), I have just fitted a single socket, and its red so easily distinguished. I might fit a second one if I find its needed but a very simple system is adequate for my simple purposes. I did fit an automatic system on my last mh but it was unecessary.

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
I have just fitted a 1000w pure sine wave inverter under my seat with a 3 socket extension attached, kept it simple, when 240 is needed just switch on and use those sockets 👍

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
My inverter in the rv is wired into the electrical locker, I just plug the extension lead into it and all my 230/110 is live, switch of the charger and we are good to go. Used to have it on when travelling so kids could watch DVD's on the telly.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Should you use a residual voltage device with your inverter in a caravan? Some forums say you should if it's powering more than one socket.
Only works if you bond one side of the output to ground which is not possible on all inverters. Quality inverters like Victron you are able to set to bonded or floating.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back