Campingaz and gaslow? (1 Viewer)

LuckyLuke

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
France & UK
Funster No
MH
A - Class / Integral
Not sure if this is the right place to post this = please move if not!
Newbie post I'm afraid - van doesnt arrive for a couple of weeks :)
Not sure whether to get 2x 11kg gaslow or 1x11kg gaslow and a campingaz bottle
95% of our use will be in France and Spain where getting camping gaz is easy but LPG appears to only be large petrol stations (though I have noticed over the last 5 yrs its becoming more common)
At the moment I was planning to have a 2x gaslow system, but thinking about it I wonder whether an 11kg gaslow and an emergency back-up campingaz might actually be more logical.
Heating is truma 6 (not 6e) and 3 hob stove but no oven.
Planning on using the van all year round, including Alps / Pyrenees in winter.
Would be grateful for peoples thoughts.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We went for the 2 x 11kg Gaslow system. We spent 6 weeks touring France, Switzerland and Italy and only had to fill up once when we went onto second cylinder. I think there's more controversy about automatic or manual switch over. We went for manual as then I know to look for LPG in the next few days. Lots say the gas will always go when it's horrible weather and at night but never happened to us in last 6 years

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My reply is based on your including Pyrenees in winter.

We have 1 X 11kg Gaslow plus a similar Calor which we inherited with the MH 8 years ago but never used, as for our use, mainly April-October, we have always managed on the Gaslow.

We were in the Pyrenees two summers ago. LPG is only available on the French side if one goes down to the towns in the valley bottoms(maybe not always easy in skiing season). Therfore relying on LPG alone may not be practical in winter when the heating is on. So maybe another bottle would be a good idea, but even then I personally do not know how easy it is to exchange in the Pyrenees, although I am sure a lot of houses rely on it and in France it is reportedly easy at most supermarkets.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Campingaz is butane so will not work once temperature gets below about 5C. So no use in the mountains in winter. And it is very expensive when compared with all the other gases available. And the small bottles it is sold in will not last long.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Therfore relying on LPG alone may not be practical in winter when the heating is on.
LPG is by far cheaper than other forms of gas whether it is propane or butane, whether sourced in the UK (Calor, BP, Flogas or other 'named' cylinders) or Europe (all countries have their own suppliers and different valves etc and exchangeable there) and if OP looks to decide to have 2 cylinders systems then as one runs out, they can search (or drift past) a place that supplies LPG. 11 kg cylinder is going to last quite a time and if it's really cold then camping gaz would be of no use anyway

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just remember, there are other makers of refillable gas bottles, (think Gasit and Alugas) As a generality, these tend to be cheaper than Gaslow and do exactly the same job.
You could start with one and add one as and when.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
For complete flexibility fit 2 x Gaslow or similar and either an external BBQ socket or a fixed regulator so you can connect any type of propane bottle. One connected to the BBQ socket would need it's own bottle mounted regulator of course.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
When the OP wrote 'Campingaz' I assumed he was using the term generically like 'Hoover', but was referring to any exchangeable gas cylinder.

Of course it is correct that one should use propane rather than butane in winter, but even LPG is a mix of propane and butane. I understand that the suppliers alter the proportions according to area and time of year. Thus buying locally in a mountain area in winter the propane % should be higher, but problem can occur if one buys in summer and gas is not used till winter.

Of course the option of fitting the BBQ outlet/inlet is an option if one can find a place to store the extra cylinder - even if empty(having filled the onboard cylinders) there may be insurance considerations if not in a gas locker.

Geoff

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
When the OP wrote 'Campingaz' I assumed he was using the term generically like 'Hoover', but was referring to any exchangeable gas cylinder.

Of course it is correct that one should use propane rather than butane in winter, but even LPG is a mix of propane and butane. I understand that the suppliers alter the proportions according to area and time of year. Thus buying locally in a mountain area in winter the propane % should be higher, but problem can occur if one buys in summer and gas is not used till winter.

Of course the option of fitting the BBQ outlet/inlet is an option if one can find a place to store the extra cylinder - even if empty(having filled the onboard cylinders) there may be insurance considerations if not in a gas locker.

Geoff
I understand that but using Campinggaz as opposed to say Calor threw me

OP
OP
LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
France & UK
Funster No
MH
A - Class / Integral
Thanks for all your responses - on the basis of the above I'm going to stick with the plan of gaslow x 2 ( easiest for me as they are EN 1949 etc approved - required for my van insurance) and then run the gas down towards winter - filling up at the nearest LPG station to the mountains to ensure a sensible mix...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back