Camping chairs? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 12, 2021
Next to The Rusty Angel
Funster No
MH
Race Van
I am looking to purchase a couple of camping type chairs to pack away when not in use and use for sitting outside. I have a few of the cheap ish (£5/10) type but looking to upgrade them. Anyone recommend any? They do not need to recline. There is loads out there so looking for your recommendations.

TA Steve

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We have been through several folding chairs over the years and finally hit on ones that we find comfortable for longer periods rather than a few minutes before you start fidgeting.
Both of ours are from Outwell.
Yvette has a Kenai and as I'm larger and wider, I have a Grand Canyon.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Over the years I’ve had numerous chairs - seem to have a shed full !
I have however just purchased a Kampa folding chair which I love as it wraps round the hips so no chilly bits. In fact 3 of us bought them, each in a different colour so we know which one is ours after a few drinks!
We didn’t get them off Amazon as they were cheaper elsewhere but can’t remember where!
81C92927-E938-4449-BCCE-994A600F6564.png
81C92927-E938-4449-BCCE-994A600F6564.png

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
It's a personal thing to find the right chair, we've had a few over the years. At the moment we have expensive Isabella Thor chairs but I'm not impressed, we've had better much cheaper chairs in the past. All I would say to you is get out there and try some for yourself.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It's a personal thing to find the right chair, we've had a few over the years. At the moment we have expensive Isabella Thor chairs but I'm not impressed, we've had better much cheaper chairs in the past. All I would say to you is get out there and try some for yourself.
Interested in your opinion, I am under pressure to buy the Isabella Thor chairs, they ain’t cheap as you say.
Can I ask what you don’t like about them please?
I know chairs are quite a personal choice but be interested in your feedback.

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Over the years I’ve had numerous chairs - seem to have a shed full !
I have however just purchased a Kampa folding chair which I love as it wraps round the hips so no chilly bits. In fact 3 of us bought them, each in a different colour so we know which one is ours after a few drinks!
We didn’t get them off Amazon as they were cheaper elsewhere but can’t remember where!
View attachment 714073View attachment 714073
Another vote for the Kampa chairs. I bought two of these for £25 each from the motorhome dealers we bought our van from. They are comfortable and better quality than the budget chairs.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Dukdalf for me, we have them at home and in our motorhome. We chose the lightweight Dukdalf Aspen for the motorhome. The ones we have for home use must be about 15+ years old and are showing no signs of wear. Not cheap but comfortable and well built.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We have Isabella Thor and footrests which we are happy with. We also have a pair of Helinox sunset chairs which are also very good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mixyblob

Free Member
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
We have a couple of Lafuma which are without a shadow of doubt the best we've had over many years. They are, however, rather expensive. But, they're (most importantly) comfortable, well made, strong, light and fold flat.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Dukdalf for me, we have them at home and in our motorhome. We chose the lightweight Dukdalf Aspen for the motorhome. The ones we have for home use must be about 15+ years old and are showing no signs of wear. Not cheap but comfortable and well built.
Exactly the same as ours. We like the fact that they recline enough, with the leg extensions, to being able to lie flat on your back or front. So can be used for sun worshipping too.

Reactions: Aji
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We have Outwell Grand Canyons

but if you are of a slighter and lighter build than me, then I heartily recommend the Decathlon Quecha chair here:

Most comfortable chair I've had (and I've parked my broad arse on more than couple). However, being a fat git, I never felt completely safe insofar that I was a sandwich over the weight limit (110kg)!

So Outwell if you enjoy the occasional beer and burger, but if you prefer salad and tonic, go for the Decathlon chair.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
I,ve got five in my shed that I,m giving to the charity shop soon. All I would say is try as many as you can or go to motorhome show this month

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Interested in your opinion, I am under pressure to buy the Isabella Thor chairs, they ain’t cheap as you say.
Can I ask what you don’t like about them please?
I know chairs are quite a personal choice but be interested in your feedback.
Being padded they are hot & sticky in hot weather, we use towels to cover them when needed, I much preferred our mesh Lafuma chairs. Alan has to regularly tighten the joints as well and given their cost he's not overly impressed by that. We have some Outwell umbrella fold ones as well that I prefer but they're quite heavy. Maybe it's just me being a fussy cow :rofl:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have Crespo chairs these come with a 6 year warranty, the first ones we purchased years ago came with 4 years and Janie broke a arm and they were replaced no quibble, and we use them at home. 😁

We have also had Lafuma and Dukdalf that both started as pairs, we still had one of each, until one of our lovely guests stole or broke 😉 I will give them the benefit of doubt 🙄 but the Dukdalf has gone. 🙂
Does that make Dukdalf the better chair ........... or was it Dutch guests. 🤔 Bob.

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Something that we came across when buying chairs was weight. Not saying you are large but in our case the upper limit of a lot of chairs is about 105kg. Also beware of plastic joints and knuckles which will break very easily.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Something that we came across when buying chairs was weight. Not saying you are large but in our case the upper limit of a lot of chairs is about 105kg. Also beware of plastic joints and knuckles which will break very easily.

As well as my Outwell Grand Canyon being wider than normal folding chairs, hence the name :giggle:, it also has a max load of 200kg, so I have some growing room yet. :giggle:

Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
I got a Vango Corona around £40 to improve on various cheap n uncomfortable camping chairs.

I looked at quite a few reclining chairs before picking them. They're fairly well made, in China as you can see from their DNA, and recline which I wanted as I'm tall and don't enjoy sitting bolt upright.

My partner who is more laid back than me liked it enough to ask for one too, which I picked up on eBay for £16 as they've stopped making them.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We downsized from an A class to a PVC so space is at a premium, we opted for a couple of Coleman sling chairs
media.nl
I felt they were a good compromise between comfort and storage needed , but I'm sure you will get as many suggestions as there are chairs on the market :LOL:

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that we need to carry two sets of chairs.

We love our Lafuma mesh recliners for relaxing in, but they are rubbish if you want to sit to the table to eat.

I think its worth considering the purpose of the chairs as well. Are they going to be comfy armchairs or upright dining chairs? Not sure any make will do both things well.

Mar 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Toleno L
We use Nice C High Back Camping Chairs in our PVC. They only weigh a couple of kilos and pack down very small in their own carry bags for storage, so ideal for a smaller van. Available from Amazon at about £34. Mrs Southend and I are over a foot different in height and both find them very comfortable.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I was really disappointed with my Issobella chairs,,Two years old and buggered..Arms broke and frame started corroding.BUSBY.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I was really disappointed with my Issobella chairs,,Two years old and buggered..Arms broke and frame started corroding.BUSBY.
I have to say our frames I don’t think are standing up to the wear and tear, the arms are fine up to now but fastenings do come loose 😟

Jolak

Free Member
Nov 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 175
We went to Costco last week and pleased to have found two really comfortable and lightweight Director's chairs for forty odd quid each. They have a range of camping chairs in from some really compact ones for tent camping probably to loungers. As usual with their stuff, it's good quality - made in the usual country of course, but they can turn out quality products as well as rubbish. Last chairs we bought were from Go Outdoors at about 80 quid each - were a pain in the a**e to unfold and put away - now in the greenhouse destined either as spare chairs or for charity shop.

Just checked their website. They're called Timber Ridge high back Director's chairs. Available online at £47.98 each with free delivery. Costco have a very good returns policy.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Bought 4 folding camper chairs from Tesco with armrests and drink slot for £24 three years ago.
Only thing thats frayed or wore out is the bag they came in!
Suits us 😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back