Campervan Parking in Devon (1 Viewer)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Exmouth council should think about the wider aspect.

Over price the parking facilities and nobody will use them.
Therefore no tourers spending money in the shops restaurants. Fuel stations etc. Eventually it could cause the local shops to close and become a charity high street like many others.
It is nice to walk along the beach, but, will it be cost effective?
Park in a wooded site take your own provisions, and halve the price of your trip.
I can see it coming 👀👀👀

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've just heard from a pal, a long time resident of Exmouth that it has been reported in his local paper following a review by the Council the proposed £11 a night fee is likely to be increased to £18.
I don't have a link to the report but it seems the move is disingenuous, having the objective of keeping motorhomes away.
A bit like a builder over-pricing a job he doesn't want.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I've just heard from a pal, a long time resident of Exmouth that it has been reported in his local paper following a review by the Council the proposed £11 a night fee is likely to be increased to £18.
I don't have a link to the report but it seems the move is disingenuous, having the objective of keeping motorhomes away.
But if they get £18 it’s a vote winner for their election campaign when it happens, raising money for the local community etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Used to go there often for the weekend and bought a ticket every time. Their tactics are working and now they can charge what they want and we'll go to North Devon instead.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The £11 will continue in car parks.
The £30 is for dedicated motorhome / campervan pitches within a site with appropriate facilities, which will probably not happen.
The reason it is high is so they dont undercut local sites
The problem is that local sites have better facilities.

A prime example of this is Southport car park, (North West). Their prices have rocketed to atch local campsites. It's still a public car park with an elsan point and water tap. .. No showers, etc and nowhere to sit outside your van, unlike the proper gardened campsites.

Jumping on bandwagon springs to mind. I just hope we all boycott highly priced places... but I doubt it. :(

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I some instances it may be worth it for the convenience.
ezee

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The problem is that local sites have better facilities.

A prime example of this is Southport car park, (North West). Their prices have rocketed to atch local campsites. It's still a public car park with an elsan point and water tap. .. No showers, etc and nowhere to sit outside your van, unlike the proper gardened campsites.

Jumping on bandwagon springs to mind. I just hope we all boycott highly priced places... but I doubt it. :(
I agree to some extent. But its about location, the carpark at Southport is in a prime seafront location minutes from the centre. If its too expensive no one will come so its quite simple really.
Even car parking in many centres can cost over £10 a day so I see £11 for 24hrs in a prime location acceptable.
The £30 idea will of course either not happen or fall on its arse if it remains unused. It would need to be pretty special to attract people to pay £30!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The thing is that the local council doesn’t need to worry about motorhome owners voting for them as they don’t live there, if they get as much money as they can for the local community they have done their job.

Reactions: DBK

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It cost me £19 for Southport car park overnight.

Lee337

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None, absolutely none, although I did once own a VW T2 Westie which I used overnight a few times
read an article last night about the local council in North Devon writing to the Govt. asking for a total ban on wild camping to be introduced as part of the Covid legislation. It was something along the lines of vans parking over night or for multiple nights contaminating the area with their waste and potentially causing a safety issue, especially as in most places, public toilets are closed due to the pandemic. The article specifically mentioned Woolacombe, but the letter stated a ban across England. The article is here.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
read an article last night about the local council in North Devon writing to the Govt. asking for a total ban on wild camping to be introduced as part of the Covid legislation. It was something along the lines of vans parking over night or for multiple nights contaminating the area with their waste and potentially causing a safety issue, especially as in most places, public toilets are closed due to the pandemic. The article specifically mentioned Woolacombe, but the letter stated a ban across England. The article is here.

If you go down to woolacombe early morning especially over a weekend you will see at least ten or more campers there which have been parked up over night.

Lee337

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None, absolutely none, although I did once own a VW T2 Westie which I used overnight a few times
I know, I used to live nearby & surfed there a lot in my younger (more fit) days. Very occasionally I used to sleep in my car & there was always plenty of vans parked up, even 30 years ago. It's just some of the vans are a bit more posh these days. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back