Campervan Parking in Devon (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
ā€˜And officers would also like to explore the possibility of creating dedicated motorhome / campervan pitches within a site with appropriate facilities to allow longer stays, and for which a premium overnight rate of say Ā£30 per night could be expected.ā€™

Above part copied from the article, I canā€™t see anybody paying that much.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Ā£11 for 24 hours is a bargain. For someone who just wants to park up somewhere safe for the night before going on there way the next day. Just hope the system gets used and not abused. I have parked up in a beach carpark ( in my car) before to go surfing for the day and itā€™s cost me Ā£8 for the day. We need more facilities like these. (y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I am happy paying Ā£11 for prime parking
I' m happy about permitted overnight stays in an area I want to be in and I'm more likely to visit if I'm not compelled to use campsites miles from the place I want to visit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
So, they have been charging Ā£11 per night for park up with no facilities and by adding a dump station they want to increase the charge by Ā£19 per night , seems very much like greedy council wants to profit without offering much at all šŸ™€šŸ™€šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

So, they have been charging Ā£11 per night for park up with no facilities and by adding a dump station they want to increase the charge by Ā£19 per night , seems very much like greedy council wants to profit without offering much at all šŸ™€šŸ™€šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬
The Ā£11 will continue in car parks.
The Ā£30 is for dedicated motorhome / campervan pitches within a site with appropriate facilities, which will probably not happen.
The reason it is high is so they dont undercut local sites

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Everyone will see it differently. What one thinks is expensive another will see as a bargain. What one person thinks is being skint another will see as a lottery win. A bargain largely depends on how much money you have as disposable income.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It's inevitable that the next couple of years will be expensive as sites try to recoup losses from the past 12 months (and the next few).
I'm currently paying 30 quid/night for little more than hookup and a field in the middle of nowhere to stay put in, so paying this in a prime location seems a bit of a bargain even if more than we're used to.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
" Cllr Olly Davey said that as local campsite charge around Ā£14-18, the Ā£11 on the seafront is an absolute bargain, adding that most places he goes to are around Ā£20 a night."

So the campsite presumably offers facilities for Ā£14 but offering nothing for Ā£11 is a bargain?

And where does he go for his Ā£20? Is it a "better" campsite or a facility-free carpark? Perhaps he needs to go abroad and see what is charged there?

OTH Ā£1 per hour is a fairly typical parking rate.

We looked at staying on Maer carpark last February but chose to return to a campsite with EHU etc for just a few extra quid.

Gordon

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
It's inevitable that the next couple of years will be expensive as sites try to recoup losses from the past 12 months (and the next few).
I'm currently paying 30 quid/night for little more than hookup and a field in the middle of nowhere to stay put in, so paying this in a prime location seems a bit of a bargain even if more than we're used to.
Wow Ā£30/night for EHU, that's nearly three times what I'm paying for a place with toilets and a shower, waste and fresh water.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Wow Ā£30/night for EHU, that's nearly three times what I'm paying for a place with toilets and a shower, waste and fresh water.
Yeah - was 20 but then the owners put it up to 30 to cover winter heating costs, although we don't really use much electric heating since one of our Combi 6e elements packed in ages ago so only run 900W max. before resorting to gas.- also a bit annoying since we should have been in our new house in Nov/Dec and can't realistically move anywhere else at the moment

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Visited the car park they have large bays with easy access and I would use them but we were there on Christmas Day in our van and on this one day of the year itā€™s free parking on seafront.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Yeah - was 20 but then the owners put it up to 30 to cover winter heating costs, although we don't really use much electric heating since one of our Combi 6e elements packed in ages ago so only run 900W max. before resorting to gas.- also a bit annoying since we should have been in our new house in Nov/Dec and can't realistically move anywhere else at the moment

Why not buy an electric 2kW heater from Argos for approx Ā£20?
Compared to a 13kg Calor propane bottle at Ā£35ish, that represents quite a saving.
Even compared to refillable gas, which involves you moving the MH (positives and negatives in that scenario), you would still save AND you would have something to warm your house once you get in there :giggle:

Gordon

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
To just park overnight then I think Ā£11 is expensive, as for charging Ā£30 then they are in cloud cuckoo land or they aim to rid the town of motorhomes altogether. I walk away from campsites with all facilities if they are charging over Ā£20 a night as im sure many on pensions do. It is far cheaper to go abroad for 3 months than have a month in the UK

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
It sound to me as if the council are trying to calculate how much they can squeeze out of the motorist regardless of how little they offer in return.

However having looked at Premier Inn a night at their seafront hotel in Exmouth would set you back over Ā£100 per night in July! But about half that out of season.

I think I would vote with my feet and keep away from Exmouth at almost any time of the year.

Deleted User
So a council listens to motorhomers and proposes to provide 'aire type' facilities, they even know the word!' at an expensive but commercial rate for the area and what happens.........nobody seems to want to use it because of the cost!!!

So it is the cost of sites/aires that attracts motorhomers to 'wildcamping' in locations such as these, no wonder most local councils don't bother.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So a council listens to motorhomers and proposes to provide 'aire type' facilities, they even know the word!' at an expensive but commercial rate for the area and what happens.........nobody seems to want to use it because of the cost!!!

So it is the cost of sites/aires that attracts motorhomers to 'wildcamping' in locations such as these, no wonder most local councils don't bother.
I couldnt care less how much if its where I want to be, it would need to be very nice/convenient for Ā£30 though.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
They have a good temporary holiday site at the rugby ground we have stayed on, where the motorhomes park at the side off thr road is boy racer paradise, its probably the same in carparks. šŸ˜ Bob.

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
Personally I'd want full facilities for Ā£30 for one night. I definitely won't be going there, most c&c sites are cheaper with less chance of being hassled by local yobs.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The Ā£30 is for dedicated motorhome / campervan pitches within a site with appropriate facilities, which will probably not happen.
Still donā€™t see what the attraction would be unless the sites have really good views and access to walks/beaches etc.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
That was not my understanding, they were moaning about the parking being too cheap! I think Ā£11 is fair enough to park for 24 hours and they could well charge a bit more if there were disposal points, but Ā£30 sounds OTT even with facilities but it is dificult to say without knowledge of the capital cost of provision and ongoing servicing costs. One thing I do disagree with is you cannot compare Continental costs/prices with those of the UK. For sure the cost base will be different. The only yard sticks for judging that I know of are Canterbuy Aire and Bourton on the Water. Canterbury is I think Ā£7 a night and Ā£3.50 during the day inclusive of the park and ride and disposal facilities but Bourton charges Ā£15 just for overnight parking. The only one charging anything like East Devon are thinking about is Liverpool Marina, Ā£35 per night but you get a Ā£10 voucher to spend with that and the location is superb and is well worth that.
ezee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back