Camper for tall people (1 Viewer)

Talljohn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadstar Rev
Exp
I am tall, 6'8" and in the market for a camper for myself and my normal sized wife. We want to get something as small as we can that meets our needs as we want to go off the main drag as much as possible. So far we have found the Murvi style van the best bet and really like that the set up allows for you to relax up front opposite a large sliding door. The traditional set up with bed/chairs at the back seems to miss out on the opportunity to bring the outdoors inside, if you get my drift. Trouble is, the Murvi does seem to be expensive with minimal second hand vans about. Can anyone suggest any good alternatives??

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hi John. I think you'll struggle with any PVC unless you take your own base vehicle to a converter and they prioritise what you want. Believe me, there's nothing worse than spending your hard earned on a van that ultimately compromises your sleep.

You'll still need to look at XLWB panel vans which in many cases are longer than coachbuilt motorhomes and use the extra space in the kitchen and for storage, with that in mind there are some coachbuilt vans out there readily available sub 6.5m in length which have 7ft x 6ft beds or two 8ft long singles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Talljohn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadstar Rev
Exp
Jonno,

The Murvi seems perfect, just minimal choice on the second hand market. Which make are you referring to re the long beds? Used to go to college in Harrogate back in the day. Wow, hasn't it changed though!

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Tbf, we've a friend who a similar height and he can stand up in the majority of the van and bed is big enough, just about though..

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
Hi TallJohn. Keep me posted on your decisions. At 6ft5in I found very few beds would be comfortable, hence our choice of the Bürstner tl680 with the 2m long drop down bed!!!!!

Upvote 0

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Poessl has just brought out a roadcruiser xl. Internal height 2.13m and has twin beds in the back one of them is 2 08m long. As yet the globecar version is not available in the uk.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Talljohn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadstar Rev
Exp
Hi TallJohn. Keep me posted on your decisions. At 6ft5in I found very few beds would be comfortable, hence our choice of the Bürstner tl680 with the 2m long drop down bed!!!!!
Will do. We took a look at the Burstner at the last NEC show and thought you got a lot for your money in comparison. The drop down beds do fit too, just. Maybe I will shrink with age! Still like the idea of a panel Van with its large opening, but the Burstner with their xl doors come close.

Upvote 0

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
If buying new is an option, Hymer has 3 models where you can have an extra long bed: the ML-T 580, B-MC 580 and EXSIS-T 580. Pretty nice vans as well :giggle:

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Jonno,

The Murvi seems perfect, just minimal choice on the second hand market. Which make are you referring to re the long beds? Used to go to college in Harrogate back in the day. Wow, hasn't it changed though!
Yeah, it's changed into a carpark! We find it easier to head the other way to Clifton Moor when we want to shop as we're more Starbeck/Knaresborough.

As a starter we had a 2012 AT Tracker EKS which gave years of trouble free service, yes you needed to slide the bench seats together to make the bed but it was over 6ft wide and about 7ft 2in long. Overcab lockers are cavernous, ours held 4 pillows and two super king duvets, blankets etc. Leaving them as bench seats and turning the cab ones around gave you 8ft long singles which we found ideal overnighting at ferry ports. 6.34m long. Good usable bathroom and loads of kitchen space too. 100l fresh & 85l waste.

Tribute 615 and Imala 615 are the same plus they have a bit more payload.

Rollerteam also do big beds... the 746 and older equivalent have a rear lounge which again converts to a 7ft 2 in x 6ft 6in bed even the overcab bed is 6ft 6ins x 5ft 3ins and the dinette converts to a 6ft 1in x 4ft 2in bed. All over their rear lounge models make into huge beds and there are some decent well looked after bargains around 12-24 months old from the hire market, loads of extra kit too.

I've mainly mentioned the convertible lounge beds as by looking at a Murvi I'm assuming you don't mind making them?

Others on here will be able to advise on the euro vans as we don't tend to look at them that often as we don't need the travel seats they all seem to come with and find the dinettes too rigid, I'm 6ft 1in square and nearly twice the weight of what they give in the payload so a good bed is important.

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I’ve got a Murvi Pimento on a Ford Transit base. An option was to get the higher roof top transit. Mine is the standard height Transit and I’m 6 foot and that is just about high enough for me.
Have you considered buying the high top van yourself and getting it converted?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Talljohn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadstar Rev
Exp
I didn't realise the AT doubles came in so big, so that might be a look. Aly1, yes, have looked at the Transit H3 based Murvi, and it seems great, but just a tad too much at present, hence the search for an equivalent. Many years back, with younger children we had a Talbot Tuareg I think it was called and I fitted quite happily in that and it was tiny!

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I am tall, 6'8" and in the market for a camper for myself and my normal sized wife. We want to get something as small as we can that meets our needs as we want to go off the main drag as much as possible. So far we have found the Murvi style van the best bet and really like that the set up allows for you to relax up front opposite a large sliding door. The traditional set up with bed/chairs at the back seems to miss out on the opportunity to bring the outdoors inside, if you get my drift. Trouble is, the Murvi does seem to be expensive with minimal second hand vans about. Can anyone suggest any good alternatives??
Have a look at the VW Grand California they seem to have high ceilings I’m 6’2 and I suspect there is more than enough standing height for you but you will need to check the bed sizing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Talljohn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadstar Rev
Exp
Thanks all for your replies. Looking at the suggestions, the Murvi still looks a favourite, followed by a Burstner.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Have a look at the Globecar H line series. H for Extra High top.
Also have a look at IH if you like the front lounge. Theirs is very nice and if you are stretching to a new one, can be built to your own spec bedwise.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
0b6aa61c9893799f97a6ba61df038a63.jpg

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks all for your replies. Looking at the suggestions, the Murvi still looks a favourite, followed by a Burstner.
We have a Murvi Morocco. As you probably know it can make two single beds or a double, depending how far you slide one of the beds out. :) The longer bed is 6'-6" but has another 6" of space behind the driver's seat, so in can be extended to more or less 7' long by filling this gap in with something - I use a rolled up beach mattress. Nw because I'm tall but because thi is the end where I normally have my head and it stops the pillow falling into the gap. :)

However, headroom is only 6'-2" so you would have to stoop, though I suspect you may be used to that!

The commonest Murvi is the Morello and Murvi have a 2007 one in stock at £27K. I suspect the bed in the Morello may be a little shorter but I am probably wrong. You could call them and ask if they know if anyone is trading in a Morocco. They will probably have about 6 months warning if a current owner is buying a new one as that's about their lead time.

Upvote 0
Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
I found the most time you are in the van apart from driving is sleeping. For me that was the most important criteria when we bought our latest van. Im 6,3 wifes a short arse. Im not quite as tall as you but a goods nights kip is worth its weight in gold. I had 3 yrs of feet off the end of a bed in a VW T5 ??.We bought a Globecar Campscout longest side is about 6,4 id say but the two singles can be turned into a huge double.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back