Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Not yet
Have updated it...
Is this a common issue requiring a hard reset or are they just a bit / lot pants?? ???....????
Definitely worth doing a reset, if you contact Garmin that may be the first thing they ask you.

I have had years of reliable use from my units, so wouldn't describe them as 'pants'.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Bi

But even if you tell it you're 5 metres wide and 29 metres long it still sends you down VERY VERY narrow lanes
A few times I have considered shooting the ba$tard thing....
I haven’t had that unfortunate experience over about 3000 miles with it. Having said that I do check unfamiliar routes on a map or on the device in map view and sometimes select my own route. Of course, if you don’t like the look of a suggested road just drive and it will re route to an alternative. If you don't like that you drive by again. Problem is there are some places where the only way of getting to them is on narrow roads, but at least the device will warn you if it doesn’t know their suitability

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I haven’t had that unfortunate experience over about 3000 miles with it. Having said that I do check unfamiliar routes on a map or on the device in map view and sometimes select my own route. Of course, if you don’t like the look of a suggested road just drive and it will re route to an alternative. If you don't like that you drive by again. Problem is there are some places where the only way of getting to them is on narrow roads, but at least the device will warn you if it doesn’t know their suitability

but, it still tells you to take the road even though it says its unsuitable, was the point i was trying to make....

i will however get swmbo to dig out the instr. and i will call garmin as well, before i introduce it to a 16 grain piece of lead doing 800 fps............

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
but, it still tells you to take the road even though it says its unsuitable, was the point i was trying to make....
Yes I see your point but you have asked it to take you to a location and that is exactly what it is doing. The road is the suggested route, It’s not compulsory and you choose to take it or not.

It’s worth remembering that the device can only work on the information on its internal map which is not a Garmin product but from another source. I can’t remember off hand which but there are two main ones. It would be interesting to do a comparison when your device suggests a narrow road. If you have Tomtom, Copilot, google maps, Apple maps, Maps me, I wonder if they would all show the same route. If they do that would indicate there is an alternative no matter what size vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Yes I see your point but you have asked it to take you to a location and that is exactly what it is doing. The road is the suggested route, It’s not compulsory and you choose to take it or not.

It’s worth remembering that the device can only work on the information on its internal map which is not a Garmin product but from another source. I can’t remember off hand which but there are two main ones. It would be interesting to do a comparison when your device suggests a narrow road. If you have Tomtom, Copilot, google maps, Apple maps, Maps me, I wonder if they would all show the same route. If they do that would indicate there is an alternative no matter what size vehicle.

ok, last year, devon or cornwall, it sent us down a very very narrow lane, and said it caravan / motorhome suitability unknown.........upon walking out of the site, the nav sent us via that narrow lane when it could have sent us via a known main road route, which would have added about half a mile or so,

in my opinion, even having the size set to be way bigger than the van is, and the fact that there was a perfectly suitable route a stones throw away, it still failed to perform as advertised.

i will contact garmin and see what they say, from that day on we use directions given by routefinder or if we are staying on a club site we use theirs, only using the nav where absolutely necessary or to see how close we are................

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
ok, last year, devon or cornwall, it sent us down a very very narrow lane, and said it caravan / motorhome suitability unknown.........upon walking out of the site, the nav sent us via that narrow lane when it could have sent us via a known main road route, which would have added about half a mile or so,

in my opinion, even having the size set to be way bigger than the van is, and the fact that there was a perfectly suitable route a stones throw away, it still failed to perform as advertised.

i will contact garmin and see what they say, from that day on we use directions given by routefinder or if we are staying on a club site we use theirs, only using the nav where absolutely necessary or to see how close we are................

Yes, that's not good. I hope Garmin can help you. If you let me know which site you went to and where your route started from (roughly) I will get mine to calculate the route and let you know what it does.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Yes, that's not good. I hope Garmin can help you. If you let me know which site you went to and where your route started from (roughly) I will get mine to calculate the route and let you know what it does.

will do if i can find it!

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
and, much to my shame i suspect (not at home so cant check) ours may be a 760.......:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::whistle:

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
swmbo has confirmed ours is a 760 lmt-d:oops:

but it still misbehaves anyway, will phone garmin

meantime my apologies for being a b3ll end.................:cry:

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
we updated the maps in the last 2 months or so, so problem was historic to that. I have spoken to Garmin, very helpful so far i have to say, the chap on the phone thinks the nav is not correlating the inputted motorhome measurements with routes and restrictions etc, so is emailing me a few things to try, failing that a hard reset (as someone else on here suggested(y)) may work........if not they want me to call them back:( anyway, i will try the suggested course when i get the email, and let you know the outcome:)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @iandsm

Can you calculate a route from say Stafford to The main Camping and caravan club site at Moffat DG10 9QL. Does it turn left of the A701 into Church Place and go around in a square shape as you enter the town. If so have a look on Google Earth its a Dead end.

Also from middle of Borough Green Kent to DA3 7NA. Is it still going about 19 miles via the M25 rather than about 9 miles via the A227. and passing an exit from The A2 and then coming back to it.

Routing has always been my concern. My upto date 660 camper does some very funny things from time to time.

I accept they are all liable to have the odd glitch but I seem to have found a few on the Garmin. Around where I live it does some really unbelievable things.

Doug

Last edited:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @iandsm

Just double checked mine and hurray it is not passing the exit from the A2 and coming back to it. That was advised to Garmin well over a year ago. The routing is now using the Western Gravesend Exit from the A2 which it would avoid before causing unnecessary extra mileage.

Deadends and Shopping Parade routes still happening. I have told Garmin about these a long time ago.

Doug

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi @iandsm

Just double checked mine and hurray it is not passing the exit from the A2 and coming back to it. That was advised to Garmin well over a year ago. The routing is now using the Western Gravesend Exit from the A2 which it would avoid before causing unnecessary extra mileage.

Deadends and Shopping Parade routes still happening. I have told Garmin about these a long time ago.

Doug

Just input those routes on my device. In car mode from Stafford to the C&C site it takes A701 then ends at Jeff Brown Drive which is the correct address for the site, its the same in camper mode.

From Borough Green to DA37NA its via A227 via South Street in car mode but via M25 in camper mode approaching from the opposite direction Car mode is 9.7 miles and Camper mode is 24 miles.

Last edited:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @iandsm

Thanks for that .

The campsite entrance is not in John Brown Drive, you can't get into the site from there, its in Ladyknowe Court where the Green Tree icon is in Google Earth. On Mine it goes to the Site Entrance but via Church Place and Rea Street which is impossible. Could you scroll the screen in to Moffat just to check it is not doing as mine as you have to scroll well in to see it.

Re the non use of the A227 do a route from Meopham Green to DA377NA and look at the junction when it turns onto the B260. Now you know why I would not move to DA377NA. There I no reason not to use the A227 especially as the traffic problems getting off the M25 onto the A2 with all the queues you can get is a nightmare.

Doug

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The site is, according to the map is in John Brown Drive, yet the address given is different. and the post code is DG109QL which my sat nav says is Jeff Brown Drive.

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=caravan+and+camping+club+moffat+site&form=APMCS1&PC=APMC

I think the problem is the post code on the Site address. However if you ask for directions on the Club site they don't take you to John Brown Drive but to what appears to be the correct location. You would be driving past the Co Op shop to get to the site but looking at the map the site is between Brown Drive and the actual entrance road. The postcode covers quite a large area so your device is correct in the sense it takes you to the postcode you selected and it doesn't know you want to go to the site. I think I can safely say that if you were actually at the site entrance and instructed the device to mark your location, then set that as a favourite the device would take you back to the entrance accurately the next time you ask it to navigate to the saved location.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
This thread has spurred me on to contact Garmin re my annoying sat nav. It sends me down ridiculously narrow roads despite me exaggerating my size. Also if has never updated the maps as it has run out of storage. I tried an sd card which it wouldn't recognise.
My friends have the same sat nav which has been trouble free!

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @iandsm

On The 660 if you scroll down on the front page and click on Camping and Caravan sites then Type in Moffat it offers you the site and when selected takes you right into the site via the entrance so that is spot on. I see what you mean about the Post code. That would cause a few problems. The site is quite difficult to get into as it is through some housing and then over a little bridge. If there is a queue in then those wanting to leave have a problem. Google haven't even tried to get in there but their Green Tree marker for the site is right on the entrance barrier.

Doug

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi @iandsm

On The 660 if you scroll down on the front page and click on Camping and Caravan sites then Type in Moffat it offers you the site and when selected takes you right into the site via the entrance so that is spot on. I see what you mean about the Post code. That would cause a few problems. The site is quite difficult to get into as it is through some housing and then over a little bridge. If there is a queue in then those wanting to leave have a problem. Google haven't even tried to get in there but their Green Tree marker for the site is right on the entrance barrier.

Doug
Just did that on my 770 and it took me straight to the site no problem.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @iandsm

Sussed out the Post Code problem and John Brown Drive. The Bing provided Post Code you used is wrong. If you go to the Camping and Caravan site they say the Post code is DG10 9DY and that nails it providing I remember not to follow my Garmins directions into the Deadend..

Doug

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi @iandsm

Sussed out the Post Code problem and John Brown Drive. The Bing provided Post Code you used is wrong. If you go to the Camping and Caravan site they say the Post code is DG10 9DY and that nails it providing I remember not to follow my Garmins directions into the Deadend..

Doug
So the device navigates to the correct location if the correct postcode is selected. The problem was the post code, not the device.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This thread has spurred me on to contact Garmin re my annoying sat nav. It sends me down ridiculously narrow roads despite me exaggerating my size. Also if has never updated the maps as it has run out of storage. I tried an sd card which it wouldn't recognise.
My friends have the same sat nav which has been trouble free!
I think I know the answer to this as it used to happen on me Garmin Zumo 660.
Garmin man suggested I use a different corrupter, preferably with Windows ten on it..
I was sceptical to say the least but I fired up the laptop and straight away it 'saw' the added card.
Did all the updates without an issue

This is def a problem with both the 5x and 6x range of GPS's as all three of the 7x units I have tried ave not been a problem

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @iandsm

So the device navigates to the correct location is the correct postcode is selected. The problem was the post code, not the device.

Yes except my Garmin 660 camper with the latest map takes me into the deadend in Church Place.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
From reading this thread it sounds like Moffat is one of those sites where the best approach is not always straightforward based only on the postcode so thankfully the relevant info is available to overcome possible satnav misrouting.

Scrolling down to the Travel Info on the C&CC website it gives the co-ordinates (we sometimes enter those into our Garmin 760 instead of the postcode :)) and a download button for safe approach instructions for SWMBO to read out.

https://www.campingandcaravanningcl...fat/moffat-camping-and-caravanning-club-site/

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
HI @SpeedyDux

Post codes are good and better than continental versions but can cause difficulties. We know a campsite that using the Postcode resulted in us bumping into another Motorhome in the middle of a village looking for the same place. We were 300m away not helped by the absence of a Campsite sign at the entrance. Tomtom have another little used system which is unique to them. If you type DH.FX into a TT search it takes you to the Middle gate to Buck House. The codes are accurate enough to virtually pick a Parking Bay in a Car park and they work workwide so you can direct someone to the IN drive of your house if you are that posh.

Doug

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back