Camper 770 LMT-D (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I was thinking of upgrading my 760 to a 770 the other day and looked at Halfords site. The satnav is way cheaper on Amazon but I read their reviews and one chap said that there is a common problem with new 770s in that when you first update them after purchase they lose all of their campsite data bases. He is on his third unit and says Garmin are at a loss to explain the problem. Is this correct? Do you lose all the campsite info when you update?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I was thinking of upgrading my 760 to a 770 the other day and looked at Halfords site. The satnav is way cheaper on Amazon but I read their reviews and one chap said that there is a common problem with new 770s in that when you first update them after purchase they lose all of their campsite data bases. He is on his third unit and says Garmin are at a loss to explain the problem. Is this correct? Do you lose all the campsite info when you update?

No you don't, or at lesat I didn't. I do know of a case where it happened once but the data was restored in a new update a few days later, not had a problem with mine.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @iandsm

It happened on my Garmin 660. Somehow the specifically added POI files disappeared. With the help of Garmin it was sorted. They were surprised when I told them. I also had trouble with the Traffic cable that came with it but they sorted that as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
HI @SpeedyDux

Post codes are good and better than continental versions but can cause difficulties. We know a campsite that using the Postcode resulted in us bumping into another Motorhome in the middle of a village looking for the same place. We were 300m away not helped by the absence of a Campsite sign at the entrance. Tomtom have another little used system which is unique to them. If you type DH.FX into a TT search it takes you to the Middle gate to Buck House. The codes are accurate enough to virtually pick a Parking Bay in a Car park and they work workwide so you can direct someone to the IN drive of your house if you are that posh.

Doug

Post codes are OK but as they can cover a large area they can be inaccurate, Far better to use coordinates whenever you can.

There is another, far more accurate system called "What There Words" every single yard of the entire globe is divided into square yard segments and each one had three random words attached to it. It is very accurate indeed but I dont think any satnav providers have adopted it or intend to. There Nisan App on the App store for it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi @iandsm

Yes except my Garmin 660 camper with the latest map takes me into the deadend in Church Place.
I know you've had problems with "Church Place before but our 760 routes as follows -
upload_2019-4-9_17-8-29.png

This is from BaseCamp but the sat nav routes same.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Updated my one when I got it the other day.. absolutely fine...

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @Gellyneck

Glad yours is okay. A few of the instances of bad routing I have had around where I live have started to be corrected which is good to see but mine still recommends via Church Place and Rea Street and I have all the latest maps and updates of yesterday. It still directs me through a Shopping parade locally although that I have told Garmin a long time ago. I did think of suggesting they introduced a new feature whereby it produces a Shopping list for me to stop there for to make it worth my while.

I don't believe that any are perfect although my Tomtom's have had the edge on Routing and their Traffic is good. As long as I continue to use them as a tool but not to blindly accept everything they says then I am likely to have few problems.

Doug

Steve and Gill

Free Member
Apr 19, 2018
South Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Two Tours around New Zealand
Updated my one when I got it the other day.. absolutely fine...

Same here - we have a 770, updated it via Garmin Express and it has retained our favourites and add-on databases.

It does generally choose the easiest route and when we set the vehicle size for our MH or car it picks appropriate roads.
Comparing it with the trucker's atlas we keep as a backup - it is avoiding low bridges and the like.

Our friends have a Snooper, on the one occasion when we were travelling together and they chose different routes, we arrived first.

sdg.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi @Gellyneck

Glad yours is okay. A few of the instances of bad routing I have had around where I live have started to be corrected which is good to see but mine still recommends via Church Place and Rea Street and I have all the latest maps and updates of yesterday. It still directs me through a Shopping parade locally although that I have told Garmin a long time ago. I did think of suggesting they introduced a new feature whereby it produces a Shopping list for me to stop there for to make it worth my while.

I don't believe that any are perfect although my Tomtom's have had the edge on Routing and their Traffic is good. As long as I continue to use them as a tool but not to blindly accept everything they says then I am likely to have few problems.

Doug

Hey just a thought.
Maybe an entrepreneurial opportunity for you.
Open a cafe \ coffee shop next to Tesco in the block and you'll make a fortune from Funster Garmin owners coming in to ask "trying to find Doug. How do I get out of here and onto the Bxxx?".:whistle::giggle:
(y);)(y);)(y)

Reactions: DJA

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @Gellyneck

A good idea. Also I could direct them a few doors down and they will be able to get an Insurance quote from Farmers Union. :D:D

Actually Garmin have resolved the Shopping Parade problem because if you are coming from the Borough Green end of the A227 it refuses to use the 'A' road. It sends you around via the M25 for about 23 miles instead of 9 miles. You have to force the route planner to take the A227.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back