Cambelt query (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Cambelt on my Boxer snapped at around 30,000 miles, in 2018 on a 2004 vehicle, when in the possession of a previous owner. The bill for the engine rebuild was in the document pack I inherited. There's a school of thought that maintains that commercial vehicles designed to be thrashed every day do not take well to being parked up idle for most of the time, and it's the tyres and cambelts that can deteriorate.

Had mine replaced earlier this year, and will be sticking to five year intervals irrespective of mileage.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Why not, if you are having your vehicle maintained by a Fiat professional workshop and have maintenance carried out as per manufacture directive a Cam belt failing within a 5 year period is not wear and tear it is material failure as a customer you are keeping your part of the bargain.

I strongly suspect that the dealer and Fiat would cove such an eventuality but I would think that this would only be done if it was the belt that had snapped which would be pretty rare, if it was a case that debris had become between the belt and the pulley causing the belt to jump or a tensioner to fail or break that would be something else not all cam belt failures are down to a belt 'just failing' So the case for paying out becomes slimmer
I understand your thinking but I don’t believe any such maintenance is covered by more than 2 year period.
If the belt snaps it will cause quite a bit of damage included inside the belt cover so how try would know if it was caused by debris I am not sure.
Happy to be proven wrong,
do you have evidence that Fiat would cover cambelt breakage costs in event of it breaking within the 5 years.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I understand your thinking but I don’t believe any such maintenance is covered by more than 2 year period.
If the belt snaps it will cause quite a bit of damage included inside the belt cover so how try would know if it was caused by debris I am not sure.
Happy to be proven wrong,
do you have evidence that Fiat would cover cambelt breakage costs in event of it breaking within the 5 years.
Do you have any evidence they will not

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Do you have any evidence they will not

Nope! We could go around this loop forever,
So we must agree to have a different view on this until one or other has reliable information to indicate differently.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
VW have just uped the mileage and changes from five years to something higher on their vehicles.
In the distant past some Ford engines were very prone to going before 48000 and they dropped the mileage to 36000 for changes.
In the very dim and distant past Austin /Rover cars had a habit of the belts going on their 1700 cc engines but at least they were a safe engine. Almost every time a belt failed the water pump was leaking. We thought the antifreeze was affecting the belts but it was never confirmed as far as I knew.
Some Honda v6 engines the belt was not a service item. and that was thirty years ago.

Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
Manufacturers will spec what they can get away with. The VW T6 had (has?) a different replacement schedule for the belts in the UK and on the mainland EU even though using the exact same belt. As Garfields said, they recentlychanged from 4 years / 40k miles to 120k miles / 10 yrs (from memory)- a massive difference. The UK massively gets our pants pulled down, but if you want warranty you have to get it done when specced.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Nope! We could go around this loop forever,
So we must agree to have a different view on this until one or other has reliable information to indicate differently.
So this is where a manufacturer when something is out of warranty will provide a service or part as good will when it is a component failure some times it is covered in full some times in part. Having been at the end of such service and I will double check when I am next at a Fiat professional but if that cam belt snapped and the vehicle has been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer requirements the work would be covered. It happens so rarely it is one of those things they would be mad not to cover.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
So this is where a manufacturer when something is out of warranty will provide a service or part as good will when it is a component failure some times it is covered in full some times in part. Having been at the end of such service and I will double check when I am next at a Fiat professional but if that cam belt snapped and the vehicle has been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer requirements the work would be covered. It happens so rarely it is one of those things they would be mad not to cover.
I would welcome confirmation but I am sceptical that they would cover the damage to the engine which we have recently seen on a similar thread of the order of £12k.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I would welcome confirmation but I am sceptical that they would cover the damage to the engine which we have recently seen on a similar thread of the order of £12k.
Had the vehicle always been maintained by a Fiat professional workshop In the way the manufacturer stipulated and what caused the cam belt failure.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Had the vehicle always been maintained by a Fiat professional workshop In the way the manufacturer stipulated and what caused the cam belt failure.
No idea,

No point in me discussing any further as there appears to be no evidence either way.
except to say that you have more faith in FIAT than I do.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
No idea,

No point in me discussing any further as there appears to be no evidence either way.
except to say that you have more faith in FIAT than I do.
Lol I was going to buy a Hymer on a Mercedes chassis absolutely no way was I going to buy a Fiat

All I can say is to my surprise I brought a Fiat and it is actually rather remarkably good, the wife hasn't made me eat the hat as I said I would do if we purchased a Fiat, and the Fiat professional Dealer (Adams Morey) I have found to be exemplary with thier customer service.......I am sure someone else will be a long shortly to say other wise but you can only say how you find I guess.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Lol I was going to buy a Hymer on a Mercedes chassis absolutely no way was I going to buy a Fiat

All I can say is to my surprise I brought a Fiat and it is actually rather remarkably good, the wife hasn't made me eat the hat as I said I would do if we purchased a Fiat, and the Fiat professional Dealer (Adams Morey) I have found to be exemplary with thier customer service.......I am sure someone else will be a long shortly to say other wise but you can only say how you find I guess.
I was about to add the service is likely to depend very much upon the dealership rather than fiat.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I was about to add the service is likely to depend very much upon the dealership rather than fiat.
Quite. I haven’t always been that impressed with Mercedes’ service. Or that of 3 other premium manufacturers (Audi, BMW, Land Rover). Sometimes honest-to-goodness mainstream is all you want.

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
I had a nearly 7 year old, 5,000 mile cambelt snap. That was on an '02 2.8 jtd. £1,300 of damage caused. Probable cause was the low mileage the previous owner did after the first cambelt change. Like tyres I've been told that most rubber components need to keep moving to make them last.
I'll stick to 5 years for peace of mind.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I had a nearly 7 year old, 5,000 mile cambelt snap. That was on an '02 2.8 jtd. £1,300 of damage caused. Probable cause was the low mileage the previous owner did after the first cambelt change. Like tyres I've been told that most rubber components need to keep moving to make them last.
I'll stick to 5 years for peace of mind.
Agreed. When I bought my current van - 4 years after manufacture and 2 years after first registration - that was a topic of discussion. “But only 7k miles” they said. “But 4 years old - and look at what your policy says” I said. They replaced the cambelt. I wouldn’t let it go past 5 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back