Callow Top Campsite- Ashbourne- Funster Warning (1 Viewer)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We were supposed to stay here for 3 nights over weekend just gone

Stayed just for the Friday night and packed up and left

Apparently, in the Top 100 campsites of Practical Motorhome, but the feral children running round after dark, the top-of-the-voice awning conversations at 1 am and the general level of shouting and screaming from drunks did not fit with my relaxing weekend in the peaks
Should have read Trip advisor FIRST.....every day is a school day in-it?

Response from owners has been poor, I assume that their business model is sell lots of drink in the on-site bar....and its everyone else's responsibility to self police it- yeah whatever

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We stayed a few times. Yes loads of kids but non that bothered us. Drunks etc, we've never suffered that. From memory we had decent food and drink.

First visit was to pedal some of the Tissington Trail which was a bit boring but the trail round Carsington Water wasn't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

.......... the top-of-the-voice awning conversations at 1 am and the general level of shouting and screaming from drunks did not fit with my relaxing weekend in the peaks

I didn’t know that there was a Funster rally being held there - must keep a closer eye on the rally calendar! :whistle:

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We stayed a few times. Yes loads of kids but non that bothered us. Drunks etc, we've never suffered that. From memory we had decent food and drink.

First visit was to pedal some of the Tissington Trail which was a bit boring but the trail round Carsington Water wasn't.
Am I correct that there is a site at/ near Carsington?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Carsington has a very good visitor centre with restaurant and cafe.
The only time we've been to Callow Top site was the only time we have had a problem with our electrics repeatedly tripping.
There is a C&MC site adjacent to the reservoir.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Callow Top used to be a lovely site then about 15 years ago it went super commercial and selling static vans. Became bigger but in my opinion not very nice. My sister and mother bought a static but had to sell it after about 3 months because of the noise from kids. Lost a lot of money.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Callow Top used to be a lovely site then about 15 years ago it went super commercial and selling static vans. Became bigger but in my opinion not very nice. My sister and mother bought a static but had to sell it after about 3 months because of the noise from kids. Lost a lot of money.
Buying a static caravan is the easiest way to lose money there ever was.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit

Apparently, in the Top 100 campsites of Practical Motorhome, but the feral children running round after dark, the top-of-the-voice awning conversations at 1 am and the general level of shouting and screaming from drunks did not fit with my relaxing weekend in the peaks

Response from owners has been poor, I assume that their business model is sell lots of drink in the on-site bar....and its everyone else's responsibility to self police it- yeah whatever
Sounds horrendous

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back