Calais to St Malo stopoff campsite (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2018
Funster No
Going to Brittany for the first time abroad at the end of June and looking for an overnight stop off campsite to break the journey from Calais to St Malo. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Also is there any moral support out there for doing the drive from Calais.Most forum writers seem to recommend the Portsmouth to Brittany ferry's and think you are mad to drive from Calais. We are couple in our early sixties and my partner is that rare lady who is confident to drive abroad in a motor home so we will be sharing the driving. Planning first main stop hopefully at a campsite at Mount St Michel then move on to St Malo and around to coast to the South of Brittany. we are away for about 17 Days but do you think this is over ambitious for first timers abroad. My partner wants to go south for hopefully better weather so campsite and route recommendations would again be appreciated as getting bogged down with all the research.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Honfleur would make a nice stop off point on your journey to St Malo .
I cant see any reason why Calais would be a problem start point , we have travelled that way loads of times. Hope you have a great time.

OP
OP
P
Mar 23, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for the support Kuskus lol will take look at Honflur cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Honfleur would make a nice stop off point on your journey to St Malo .
I cant see any reason why Calais would be a problem start point , we have travelled that way loads of times. Hope you have a great time.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
You might like to consider Newhaven to Dieppe for your crossing. It's a nice compromise between the short Dover routes and the expensive direct to Brittany options. Only 4 hours and the 10am departure puts you in Dieppe at 3pm with the option of pushing on for a couple of hours or overnight at one of two aires in a nice little town. Plus, you're both in your sixties, so 20% discount on the fare if you book by phone. You can stay overnight at Newhaven to be in pole position for morning departure. On reflection, I think there might be three crossings per day in summer season, so a fully daytime crossing might not be at 10am but still practical with no need to pay extra for a cabin.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back