LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
For those who have it, how often do you use it?
We have ours on, when driving, all the time.
I know it lowers fuel consumption, but for me it seems to make the cab less stuffy when its on.
I open the window. Apparently less fuel consumption than AC and can't get fresher especially travelling in Narfook. :getmecoat:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
On a motorhome I doubt you would see any detectable decrease in fuel consumption.
On a car it`s roughly equivelant to opening a window
It`s nice to have on in the summer but not when it`s 5c outside !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
For those who have it, how often do you use it?
We have ours on, when driving, all the time.
I know it lowers fuel consumption, but for me it seems to make the cab less stuffy when its on.

Us too :)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Almost only in southern Spain, in the summer. We are not being awkward, it just feels fine in the cab most of the time.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am never quite sure with mine, can never remember on a Merc if light on is air con on or off, seem to recall that light on is air con off o_O

Can usually only tell by turning temp right down and see if my knuckles freeze :LOL:

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Would have been really nice but when we got to France in July we realised ours didn't work

Now we are home we will get it looked after local firm £49 if under 600g of gas £72 if over will be going out and checking under the bonnet in the morning

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
will be going out and checking under the bonnet in the morning
Checking what ???
You can't see the refridgerant and there's no dip stick.
I think they are referring to replacing any lost fluid.
They remove the refrigerant by vacuum, clean it of contaminants and water then put it back in the system along with lubricating oils, topping up fluid as necessary and charges depend on how much extra fluid is needed.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never heard that. Is there any confirmation about this or is it just??????
General opinion of aircon engineers is to use the air con for minium of 10 minutes on every journey to keep the oil circulating which keeps the seals lubricated. If you don't use the aircon the seals dry out joints start leaking and the compressor can fail often happens on cars where the owner doesn't use the aircon over the winter. If you get a decent aircon engineer to service your aircon he will drain it refill with a measured quantity of fresh oil before re-pressurising the system.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Would have been really nice but when we got to France in July we realised ours didn't work

Now we are home we will get it looked after local firm £49 if under 600g of gas £72 if over will be going out and checking under the bonnet in the morning

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

do I recall you lived in Chesterfield, before you moved to 'on our way home' :)

Bolsover car sales £35 (y) might need to wipe the greasy paw prints off when finished but very good value (y)

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years

I made a mistake a few years ago of having a non working air con in a car regassed. Big mistake as it only worked for a short period before all the gas had gone again. Turned out to be a leak in the compressor. To test for leaks I think they pump a dye through the system with nitrogen, the dye will show where the leak is.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If it's not been working for a while get it serviced by a proper engineer, he can check for leaks, refill with oil then re-pressurise. The cheap garage jobs are OK if is just not quite working at full pelt and just lost a bit of gas but not much point in having re-gased if the system has problems, they just hook it up to a machine that filters the gas/oil and re-pressurises.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
General opinion of aircon engineers is to use the air con for minium of 10 minutes on every
General opinion so not fact then?
So what happens if your journey is only 5 minutes?
I do appreciate what you are saying but 10 minutes on every journey?
It is suggested, with night heaters in wagons to run it for a few hours once a month in the summer so as to keep it working throughout the winter but tbf, AC for 10 minutes every journey?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I use mine in the car almost daily. Air conditioning is a system or process of controlling the temperature AND humidity of a given parcel of air. So when you are misted up, use it. You can have the a/c on and adjust the temperature to suit. It doesn't just blow cold. And if you don't use it, you will lose it. Then you will have to pay dearly.

Craig

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Always switched on in car and van. Was a must on our last van change. A few years ago travelled down to south of France about 40C no aircon was a trial, never again
Yes seals dry out if not used, good garage will purge and check no,leaks before regassing. Dye can be put in to check leaks check with ultraviolet light

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
General opinion so not fact then?
So what happens if your journey is only 5 minutes?
I do appreciate what you are saying but 10 minutes on every journey?
It is suggested, with night heaters in wagons to run it for a few hours once a month in the summer so as to keep it working throughout the winter but tbf, AC for 10 minutes every journey?
Needs 'exercising' for 20 minutes every month or so to redistribute the lubricant and refrigerant.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Had a new compressor fitted in the spring, godsend in France this summer. Run it every fortnight on the advice of the fitter.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I use mine in the car almost daily. Air conditioning is a system or process of controlling the temperature AND humidity of a given parcel of air. So when you are misted up, use it. You can have the a/c on and adjust the temperature to suit. It doesn't just blow cold. And if you don't use it, you will lose it. Then you will have to pay dearly.

Craig
Tbf, when I got my new car (6 months old), I did query with the Mercedes dealership about the max demist mode and the AC came on at the same time and he said, that's correct in Mercedes, sir!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My 1978 Volvo never lost any gas. Perhaps they used different seals then? More recent vehicles have lost gas as they got older and re-gassing became an annual procedure. Told to switch air/con on at least once a month, but how can you remember and what if you don't use it over winter? Latest one is left in "auto" mode, so it decides for itself whether to use air/con or not.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Needs 'exercising' for 20 minutes every month or so to redistribute the lubricant and refrigerant.
Now, 20 minutes a month is a LOT different than 10 minutes every journey. I'd do 40/50 minutes every day and that would probably equate to 60 times more than 20 minutes a month.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Never heard that. Is there any confirmation about this or is it just??????
It is advised to exercise for small time at regular intervals. It isn't required to have in use all the time .
With modern cars with modern compressors its reckoned to be less drag inducing to use aircon rather than open a window, would not think this would apply to mobile barn doors that most motorhomes are . If you want to use as demister effectively you should use on recirc not fresh air mode. They can also be used in fresh mode to help to pressurise interior to keep bull dust out , but not if following vehicle making dust in front unless you have a incoming air filtration system . All based on working on aircons in Australia.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My 1978 Volvo never lost any gas. Perhaps they used different seals then? More recent vehicles have lost gas as they got older and re-gassing became an annual procedure. Told to switch air/con on at least once a month, but how can you remember and what if you don't use it over winter? Latest one is left in "auto" mode, so it decides for itself whether to use air/con or not.
They used to use Freon in those days banned now. The modern gases the particals or whatever you call them are much smaller and can permeate through rubber hoses in the system so you always loose a small amount of pressure hence modern systems need topping up.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i use it all the time. in fact it was a godsend this evening. popped out to get a takeaway. the screen on my navara was dripping with condensation. 2 minutes with air con on and the blower going full belt and it was bone dry and safe to drive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back