C or CP tyres front or rear when only replacing 2 tyres (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo EK
Exp
Since 2012
I have a 3500kg rated Auto Sleeper Nuevo van which is 5.75m long. The front 2 tyres will need replacing soon
At the moment all 4 tyres are Continental Vanco Camper 215/70 R15 CP 109

1, Can I mix C and CP rated tyres as long they match on the front and back?

1a, Which tyres give the best ride and breaking in wet/ dry conditions?

2, Is it best to put the new tyres on the front or rear of the vehicle?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Well Rocking Rivet Lots of good and differing advice as always, who would have thought it :giggle:

Thank's for the info and advice from all you knowledgeable funsters.

My instinct and limited knowledge has always to put the new tyres on the front.
Ref' my query of where to place my 4 new tyres on the three axles, so against this i have decided that the new ones will go on the rear so the trailing axles all match, hopefully this wont create over or understeer as in Dawseys' case.

Good luck with your choices :giggle:

Cheers Colin

It's good we all have choice.

Good luck & Safe travels, keep us informed of any developments! šŸ‘

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
For the size of the tyres, very very little is in contact with the road surface. Even less if you overpressure to the usual 4.5 - 5bar. Go into the kitchen and take out a side plate and a small dinner plate. High pressure, each tyre has a side plate of contact area at any given time. Lower the pressure in line with tyre company guidance and it is nearer to the dinner plate

Either way, 3.5tonnes plus on 4 or 6 small patches of rubber doesn't give great grip. Worse still if you only ever use harder compound summer tyres. Winter and all season have a better grip pattern and are softer for more grip. Trade off is the winter tyres wear faster than the other

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Best grip to rear. Lack of traction on front wheels tend to induce understeer which usually happens slower than loss of traction at rear. Understeer can usually correct by reducing speed whereas oversteer requires more corrective action and control.
Even where driving in poor traction conditions, such as hilly roads with front wheel drive, the best grip still goes on rear for the same reasons. If the front wheels grip around a sharp uphill bend but the rears canā€™t you are still left with oversteer which is usually more difficult to control.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Gotta laugh at some of these replies..

Anyone would think they're driving a Lotus 7,and not a 3.5+ton motorhome..šŸ˜‚
Handling is handling, two wheels or four, lightweight sports or HGV. Different vehicles have different limits is all.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back