C 1 license looming. (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Ask around your local HGV driving instructing places. When I did my C1 medical, a visiting Dr was there all day doing them, so much cheaper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We were lucky as our Doc almost matches the mobile doc prices, andd has all the data needed, neither of us have any serious issues, but not straightforward. both C1 licences came through promptly.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
My doc charged £120.
It does ask on the form if the examining doctor as access to your medical records and also who your regular GP is with their details.
I chose to use my regular GP to avoid any possible delay, may cost a bit more but received my new licence in 8 days from applying.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
How far in advance of 70 do you need to do this and are you allowed to drive if waiting for your licence to come through.
Ta

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Get your eyesight checked at your optician - over 65 they'll probably do it for free or maybe a small charge for signing the eyesight section of the form.
If you have no medical issues go for one of the "mobile" doctors.

My licence was back in 5 working days - applied a month before due but only because I had to wait so that the optician could do the check on NHS, i.e. for free (to me).

But do check the info VERY carefully before sending it off - my optician ticked a wrong box which if I hadn't spotted would have lost me ALL my licences!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
How far in advance of 70 do you need to do this and are you allowed to drive if waiting for your licence to come through.
Ta

Have a look here. (section 88) Providing you have been cleared by your Doc and Optician verbally. You can continue to drive any class you (will still) hold a licence for until the Swansea Home for the Bewildered return your licence.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
On my last medical, I again went to D4Drivers. £50 and Saturday or Sunday appointment if required. The doctor did say that he'll do the eye sight section last in case of a failure and go to opticians for them to sign. However, I passed anyway

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Have a look here. (section 88) Providing you have been cleared by your Doc and Optician verbally. You can continue to drive any class you (will still) hold a licence for until the Swansea Home for the Bewildered return your licence.

Think you would have an issue trying to explain to a French or Spanish policeman that you are OK driving a heavy van on an expired licence if you were awaiting dvla to renew your C1.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Think you would have an issue trying to explain to a French or Spanish policeman that you are OK driving a heavy van on an expired licence if you were awaiting dvla to renew your C1.

In Spain, I got pulled for "A" framing one Sunday by 2 Guardia on Motorcycles. The asked for "papers" I showed my licence Ect;. I got the distinct impression neither had a faintest idea of what they where looking at. In the end I was allowed on my way with the chastisement "not allowed in Spain". OK in the UK though Section 88 covers you, the OP did not mention needing to go "foreign".

EDIT:- In that regard, does the "green card" actually show an expiry date, it`s so long since I had one I cannot remember?.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It's OK taking the risk if your happy to accept the possible consequences.
Whilst I was waiting for my C1 after a treadmill test I queried having no licence with the dvla as I was due to go into Europe. They sent me a standard driving licence as a temporary measure. As it happened my van was under 3. 5t so the temporary licence covered me whilst abroad.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Your own Doctor is often swamped with work and in my case no longer offers this service. The 'mobile' Doctor is very straightforward and after hiring a hotel room or similar, sits back and takes the £50 for about 15 minutes work. Providing you do not have a serious or ongoing handicap to driving, it could not be simpler.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I
EDIT:- In that regard, does the "green card" actually show an expiry date, it`s so long since I had one I cannot remember?.

My European one is valid until the expiry date of my insurance.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
My old doctors receptionist told me £135 per licence even though it the same form. Needless to say I toddled off to Cotswold for £35 and £5.00 donated to a children charity.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yes but does it include the Date of your UK licence expiry?

No - why would it? Your insurance company doesn't ask for that does it? Mine certainly doesn't. In the small print it will say that it's YOUR responsibility to ensure anyone driving your vehicle under your insurance has the appropriate current licence.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
My doc wanted 120 quid 16 years ago. I downgraded the ambulance to 3500, something I had been too lazy to do since I bought it. Being diabetic the hoops were many that I would have had to jump through

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No - why would it? Your insurance company doesn't ask for that does it? Mine certainly doesn't. In the small print it will say that it's YOUR responsibility to ensure anyone driving your vehicle under your insurance has the appropriate current licence.
No it just satisfies my enquiry. I have not needed a Green Card for many years, I chose to stop going to Europe over 10 years ago, when I went long term in the USA. where Motorhome use is not the "issue" it is in Europe and the UK. I just could not remember if the date of the licence was indeed a requirement, so thank you for your input. (y)

OP
OP
Gaston aires
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
The bottom line is.
Asked for form 90 days before birthday.
Eye test free at opticians.
Medical and form filling at my doctors £100. This took 3 weeks for appointment.
Sent form to DVLA 10 days later arrived.
Phil

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Not sure what's happening now though if you need eyesight and medical form completed, or have background medical conditions that require treadmill tests etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back