LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I'm buying a vehicle off a relative on 02 December. The plan is for the owner to declare the vehicle SORN on 30 November to avoid them having to pay another month for only one day's use. Will this be OK? Can I tax the SORNed vehicle on the 02 Dec in the normal way on the UK Gov website using the V5C/2 New Keeper Supplement (green slip) and drive it away that same day (I took out insurance on the vehicle today to start on the 02 December)?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I'm buying a vehicle off a relative on 02 December. The plan is for the owner to declare the vehicle SORN on 30 November to avoid them having to pay another month for only one day's use. Will this be OK? Can I tax the SORNed vehicle on the 02 Dec in the normal way on the UK Gov website using the V5C/2 New Keeper Supplement (green slip) and drive it away that same day (I took out insurance on the vehicle today to start on the 02 December)?
As you're going to drive it away on the 02 Dec, you will have to tax it from the 1st, why not just exchange on the last day of November and not bother with Sorn? :unsure:

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
As you're going to drive it away on the 02 Dec, you will have to tax it from the 1st, why not just exchange on the last day of November and not bother with Sorn? :unsure:
It's a bit of a drive and I can't get there on the 1st. I can see now that it would still have been better to do it from the 1st but I've sorted the insurance to start on the 02 Dec now.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Just tax it online when you get it on the 2nd. As soon as you tax it it’s automatically taken off sorn.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Reading between the lines, from the way your question is phrased I assume the existing owner is keeping it on the road thus by declaring it SORN on 30th November this will actually take effect on 1st December but it not being re-taxed until 2nd December means they'll be committing an offence, there's nothing to stop you taxing it on 1st December though so it's still legal but you'll need the info off the V5C in order to do so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Reading between the lines, from the way your question is phrased I assume the existing owner is keeping it on the road thus by declaring it SORN on 30th November this will actually take effect on 1st December but it not being re-taxed until 2nd December means they'll be committing an offence, there's nothing to stop you taxing it on 1st December though so it's still legal but you'll need the info off the V5C in order to do so.
It wouldn't make any difference anyway , no legal action would be taken until at least 14 days after . I have that from the horses mouth

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back