Bullfinch external shower point temperature control knob. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just fitted one, (excellent service from @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes ) but noticed while testing that the temperature control knob can move when you move the hose about !

At one point I thought the pump had stopped and went into the van to check it, then noticed the knob have moved to the closed position.. this is far from ideal..

Anyone else noticed this happening.. or is there a problem with mine ?

IMG_2589.jpg

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi jim... i got one still to fit... but did notice the movement of the hose does turn the heat control knob as well..
It appears that the water flow shuts down before the control handle is fully anticlockwise... and in the fully anticlockwise position it can then be removed..
Not tried to open it up for a look ..ill fit it first and see how it goes but it does appear to be an issue.
Andy.
20180226_102701.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Other snag I ran into was the Bullfinch requires 2 x 15mm quick fit connectors.. I used elbows , which in turn require 15mm semi-rigid pipe.. not the easiest to work with in confined spaces, especially under the sink were I picked up the existing pipes..

To connect into the existing flexible pipes you can't use the quick connectors.. so I used 12mm Tee fittings, but it was a struggle to get the 15mm semi -rigid pipe to push over it.. heating with boiling water did the trick..

My view is that it would be better if the Bufffinch just had normal 12mm barbed tails to push onto with flexible pipe..

Also shows the recently fitted Bullfinch BBQ gas point.. >

IMG_2587.jpg

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Again thats what i found out after getting it... the inlets are 15mm
I ended up getting a couple of different push fit reducers ...not sure how much room ill have and which ones ill use..
Bot drop 15mm to 12mm.. one is a 12mm male spigot and the other a female 12mm push fit which will take the pipe if there is enough room for a gentle bend..
The pipework in mine is 12mm semi rigid anyway..
Andy.

20180226_122614.jpg

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm a big fan of Bullfinch but looks like they've screwed that design up.

Suggestion: A swivelling elbow somehow grafted onto the output.
also a big fan.. the BBQ point it excellent..

the hose can swivel in the knob, that's how it's supposed to work.. but it's quite tight so when it moves it tends to turn the mixer valve..
surprised this hasn't been picked up before and resolved by Bullfinch

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have emailed Bullfinch asking about this.. will post when they reply

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm a big fan of dry PTFE spray. Current tine has WD40 brand on it. It worked wonders on plastic curtain track and motorhome cab window sliding.

will give that a try, and it may get better when it warms up a bit

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've had a reply from Bullfinch.. (copied and pasted, including typos)

Hi James,
I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your shower point hose. You do paper to have a rouge hose assembly and it should not be ‘ how it is’ the hose show rotate freely.
However we are very short of stock at the moment so i am unable to sen you a new hose, but I do have an older version that I could let you have. It is fully interchangeable with the latest hose,it just has a different hose.
If you would like to let me know your address I will get it into the post for you.

Kind regards,
Christopher Andrews
Technical Manager
Bullfinch (Gas Equipment) Ltd.

will update when it arrives and if it is a solution..

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@scotjimland
Are you sure Auto-trail didn't do the fitting for you?:confused:
That's close to the amount of sawdust they leave lying about!:whistle::whistle::whistle:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@andy63 Hose assembly arrived today and it is a huge difference, it swivels really easily .. haven't tried in the van for obvious reason..

top marks to Bullfinch, any problems just email them for a replacement

First picture replacement hose

Attachments

• IMG_2592.jpg
    IMG_2592.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2595.jpg
    IMG_2595.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Spotted a workaround....
I don't know how big the gap is between the hinge section and black control lever but possibly a block of softish rubber could be glued to the back of the lever to rub on the hinge section increasing friction enough to prevent turning.
Shouldn't need to if there was enough friction in the tap body but may help.

20180226_102701.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
better just to get the hose assembly replaced.. it swivels without any binding or rubbing
Agreed Jim, but as they said in your email
However we are very short of stock at the moment so i am unable to sen you a new hose
it would do until stock is available...which could be days or months.
Also, being a sceptic, I reckon they are low on stock because they've issued a lot of replacements due to this fault.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agreed Jim, but as they said in your email
it would do until stock is available.

indeed, but they sent the old style hose and is better quality and works perfectly..

I think they have an issue with the new style and will be looking at changing it ..

is that yours in the picture ?

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
@andy63 Hose assembly arrived today and it is a huge difference, it swivels really easily ..
Thanks jim... it certainly looks a lot better... ill send them a mail..
As i said mines not even fitted , but as soon as i read your initial post i could relate to the problem as i was thinking just that when i was playing with mine..
I did have your thread on a watch to see how you got on , but thanks again for the heads up...
Andy..

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Other snag I ran into was the Bullfinch requires 2 x 15mm quick fit connectors.. I used elbows , which in turn require 15mm semi-rigid pipe.. not the easiest to work with in confined spaces, especially under the sink were I picked up the existing pipes..

To connect into the existing flexible pipes you can't use the quick connectors.. so I used 12mm Tee fittings, but it was a struggle to get the 15mm semi -rigid pipe to push over it.. heating with boiling water did the trick..

My view is that it would be better if the Bufffinch just had normal 12mm barbed tails to push onto with flexible pipe..

Also shows the recently fitted Bullfinch BBQ gas point.. >

View attachment 215563
are both feeds cold water

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
(copied and pasted, including typos)..

This is a message from a reputable manufacturer, not a forum post, how sad he'd let such a predictive text monstrosity out in his company's name.

But full marks for the result.

I wonder if the truth is that the present design is on hold until they fix the design error ?

Bit like the Bailey 640 I am told.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Curosity gotthe better of me... but rather than try and dismantle the fitting which would most probably end up with me breaking it...i tried a small ammount of silicone spray...
Its spinning quite freely atm... (y)
Hopefully thats a fix ... just have to see how it goes when fitted and in use..
Andy

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Curosity gotthe better of me... but rather than try and dismantle the fitting which would most probably end up with me breaking it...i tried a small ammount of silicone spray...
Its spinning quite freely atm... (y)
Hopefully thats a fix ... just have to see how it goes when fitted and in use..
Andy

After Brian suggested it, I tried PTFE spray , that didn't work, also tried WD40.. no difference..

it may still be worth emailing and getting a replacement..

looking at it closer, it appears to be the metal tube that is binding on the plastic housing, rather than the hose.. so perhaps I have a flaw in the plastic housing .. rather than pipe size.. both old and new pipes are the same dia.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
t appears to be the metal tube that is binding on the plastic housing,
I think you are spot on... ive also put a drop of ACF-50 just there and its very free now... trouble is that stuff is oil based so maybe not the best round plastic.. again will find out in time..
Will well still e mail them as you suggest..
Thanks..
Andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back