Building a "Coachbuilt" Self Build? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
This is what happens with lockdown boredom. Ideas form :giggle:

I'm thinking about building a larger van, likely a 7.5t with a 5m box and overcab. Thing is, I dont really want to convert a normal box-van, I like the idea of building something like this:
Concorde_Cruiser_Atego_2020_cutout.jpg

Just an idea atm, but I could do with a few pointers if anyone can help?

Firstly - the base vehicle.

I'd like something that goes on forever. Likely a lorry chassis like the Mercedes Atego above, but possibly a higher weight rated Iveco Daily/Mercedes Sprinter etc. Recommendations or ones to avoid?

It would be a huge bonus if it were a simpler engine (no canbus) if possible, but not essential.

Secondly - the box construction.

Has anyone build a box themselves?

I've done a small amount of research and seen most manufacturers use a composite sandwich construction. This seems fairly easy to work with, but not found a supplier yet. Or would an aluminium frame be a better start?

Of course I could start with a box-van, add strength, new roof and build an overcab. But as I'd want side lockers and the look of the above image, it's probably easier to start with a plain chassis?

Anyway, any thoughts?

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Good effort. 10 out of 10 for setting your self a challenge. If it looks like that when you are done you will be looking at a new career.

I would search out how horse boxes or race day wagons are built. Not exactly the same but some of them are coach-built. Especially the posh ones.

I think Bradley Wiggins had a custom made one. A bedroom was added just for his ego to stay in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Here is his thread. Aluminium I think??

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Some time back, years?, I read about a trailor build for a stationary engine plus living accomodation, probably here on mhf.
Believe he used aluminium extrusion frame for walls and used insulated panels inserted into the extrusion.
A good read and lots of pictures, anyone remember where or who it was?
Think it had a steerable front axle.
The aluminium system might have been used on lorry trailors, there were off the shelf parts for corners, tee joints etc.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you were building it as an overlander you might want an alloy frame but otherwise I would be inclined to just copy what Concorde, MORELO, PhoeniX etc do in Germany which is aluminium or fibreglass skins on a foam core, I am sure that you could buy the composite panels but not sure that they would come big enough for a box side or roof, I know that MORELO and N+B both press up their own panels but not sure about PhoeniX and Concorde as I have not seen that side of the production.

All of these type of truck have a "road floor" that is fixed to the chassis and then they have an underfloor area that houses all the tanks and services, this is all boxed for rigidity and then the internal floor is fixed on top with all the furniture on top of that.

As for chassis the IVECO Daily seems to be the most popular under 7.5t and is a good reliable workhorse and the earlier versions were not so reliant on electronics as they are now. Going to a proper truck chassis you would need to take care with the build to keep something back for a decent payload, as you suggest Mercedes Atego are popular but not the lightest IVECO Eurocargo are lighter but not as well respected as Mercedes of course, then you have MAN which used to be popular but I believe the hardware for the latest emission regs has made it difficult and they have been dropped in favour of IVECO or Merc.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Some time back, years?, I read about a trailor build for a stationary engine plus living accomodation, probably here on mhf.
Believe he used aluminium extrusion frame for walls and used insulated panels inserted into the extrusion.
The aluminium system might have been used on lorry trailors, there were off the shelf parts for corners, tee joints etc.
Sadly he passed away, but was mentioned in a thread a few days ago, he was called Peter and I believe he went under the username "listerdiesel" although I think his stationary engine was a Ruston Hornsby.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can buy aluminium wall frame kits used in houses which you might be able to adapt for a MH box frame.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
There used to be a company in holland that would build the sandwich wall panels to any spec/size so they must be available somewhere

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Went under the name of lister diesel brilliant guy very helpful sadly passed away

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There are a few suppliers in UK , and some do body kits , if going for ali exo skeleton type build. It can be difficult getting one piece side panels for larger builds. and as Mhambi says the panels can be very expensive . If you have ny local horsebox builders nearby they can be a good source of info . Composite panels are easier to source than ali faced panels .
https://www.truckcraftbodies.co.uk/types

BTW handling large panels can be a logistical problem in itself as they can be surprisingly heavy , especially when putting on a 8Ft x 20ft roof !!

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just watched a very useful video from a guy that had the box CNC'd from 5 layer panels (GRP outside, ply, insulation, ply, GRP inside):

The box was £5700 delivered which I thought was quite reasonable?
Then another £1400 in glue and I'd guess £500 in aluminium.

Mhambi - Is it too rude to ask how this cost compared to yours? (PM if prefer?)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
This thread has given me an idea:

This van...
VW Demountable.jpg

...has a demountable living area. Now I'd guess that there are standard 7.5t mounting plates to accept shipping containers etc?

If so, then this could be switched to a new van in time, if the base vehicle becomes BER?

Maybe removed and sited if the base vehicle developed a fault that meant garage time?

I like this idea after having vans blow up. Twice. Not a fun event when fulltime.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I think Argos and dfs had demountable truck bodies...

Haven't seen them recently.

You could do one on a iveco or lt46 chassis.

Cheers James

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David, I had a friend who used to buy ex BT vans , extend chassis 6ft and fit a Luton cab on. He bought all the extra panels and skirts and Luton from a fibreglass co at Barnsley.
Have you thought about a library bus ?
My X ambulance was made from Ali bonded to 6mm ply bonded to 30 mm styrofoam bonded to 6 mm ply bonded to Ali with a very basic steel glavenised framework ...top bottom and a couple of legs in the middle.Bit like a skinny ladder.
I have made a similar framework and fitted it to a pick up but it was always too high in my opinion.
I have also done a 27 seat 5ton coach that gave plenty of room 👍

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i looked at all the options for a larger self build than my ducato but they all seemed to be to expensive to old too slow or to many miles the cost often worked out as more than you can buy a prebuilt one for

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only problem with a truck type wagon is MPG 13 to 17 ....at least with a van base you are going to get mid 20s.....may be better/. Cheaper getting a RV 😁

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Trying to remember name of a company that makes Luton backs and fits them to lo loaders ,,,,just down the road from Barnsley football club 😳👍

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Trying to remember name of a company that makes Luton backs and fits them to lo loaders ,,,,just down the road from Barnsley football club 😳👍
Think a flatbed Luton, something like a 5-7.5t Daily/Sprinter, would be a good choice tbh. "if" I could build a demountable living shell.

I know it won't be cheap, but if I could build the box to last, along with maybe a low mileage 2015 van, I think I could build it for around 30-35k with the spec we are used too.

Then, once the van got older, I could buy say, a new Daily/Sprinter and add the box. It could work out very cost effective over time, plus be exactly what we want.

Looking at the high end models like Hymer, Concorde, etc, they haven't changed that much inside over the last 20 years. Built well, maybe my (possible) box could last that long.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David the back bit is nearly always bolted to the chassis 😉 Only A class are built as a one piece and even they are bolted onto chassis.
Thinking out of the box I would look at some of the futureist looking small coaches etc. Very easy to remove glass and sheet over, then add your own where you want them.
If you still have access to the web site you created for me have a look at the pine bus I did 👍 Wish I had kept pics of a lot of my conversation vans on a pen drive etc, I lost a lot of data when a hard drive failed.

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Just watched a very useful video from a guy that had the box CNC'd from 5 layer panels (GRP outside, ply, insulation, ply, GRP inside):

The box was £5700 delivered which I thought was quite reasonable?
Then another £1400 in glue and I'd guess £500 in aluminium.

Mhambi - Is it too rude to ask how this cost compared to yours? (PM if prefer?)

Hi Wissel, Havent watched the video as yet but that sounds about right was about £5500 for the panels and just over £1K for the Aluminium. Glue was not as much as that, I think I spent about £800 on glue, Then there is the Welding of the Aluminium frame, another £1k windows £7.5k door £2.5k, toilet £4k and the list goes on.........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back