Building a "Coachbuilt" Self Build? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Wissel, Havent watched the video as yet but that sounds about right was about £5500 for the panels and just over £1K for the Aluminium. Glue was not as much as that, I think I spent about £800 on glue, Then there is the Welding of the Aluminium frame, another £1k windows £7.5k door £2.5k, toilet £4k and the list goes on.........
Thanks, plus you're making me feel so much better about my build costs :giggle:

I've spent a lot on current van as have 400Ah LiFePO4 with Victron/Votronic, always on 240v, elec awning, rear air, solid surfaces, new engine, uprated brakes, motorbike rack, MaxxFan, instant hot water (iMass), gas & diesel heating, voice/app control, 4G, PC, and a lot more...

Worth the cost if it's what you want though (y)

If I do decide on another build, I may take the electrical system out of current van before selling it as I doubt I'd get anywhere near the cost back and would want the same again. Lots of decisions...

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

I've spent a lot on current van as have 400Ah LiFePO4 with Victron/Votronic, always on 240v, elec awning, rear air, solid surfaces, new engine, uprated brakes, motorbike rack, MaxxFan, instant hot water (iMass), gas & diesel heating, voice/app control, 4G, PC, and a lot more...

If I do decide on another build, I may take the electrical system out of current van before selling it as I doubt I'd get anywhere near the cost back and would want the same again. Lots of decisions...
You could take out your system and replace with an cheap ex caravan Sargent system???

Just a thought

cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander

Yip, Ive done pretty much the same, my whole electrical setup is Victron including the batteries of which I have 6 x 220amp. We also run 240v full time. I have a normal fridge as I refused to pay over £1.5k for a 12v that uses pretty much the same draw as a 240 one. We also have DC to DC, 1220watts Solar and back up Generator. My wife loves her electric blanket :)
You know what they say "Happy wife happy life"....

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Been doing more research and it seems I'm not crazy :giggle:

The type of thing I'd like to build is already made in Germany by Bimobil, and there are loads of self-build versions on a German demountable forum.

This is the Bimobil:
Bimobil.jpg

And this is more what I'm currently thinking:
Iveco Demountable.jpg

Iveco Daily 4x4 :cool:

If I do go down this route, I'd buy maybe a 2015 non 4x4 Daily to last say 5 years, then maybe a new 4x4 daily (these are pricey) after that.

Any thoughts?

The more this idea evolves, the more I like it. Now I know I could have the box made, so I glue it together from a CNC'd kit, for a reasonable cost.
I could build it to a very high spec, so it lasts a very long time.
I could build the furniture framework from box aluminium and add wood panels to the fascias like this:
ourkaravan1.jpg
ourkaravan2.jpg

So, if we wanted a style change in say 10 years it would be pretty simple.

And above all, if (when) our van broke down, we would still have our house while it was being repaired/replaced.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing to remember is that if you go down the 'demountable' route you will lose the ability to utilise the cab seating in your habitation space ...

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
One thing to remember is that if you go down the 'demountable' route you will lose the ability to utilise the cab seating in your habitation space ...
Yep, that's part of the plan, although I would want a door/hatch through to the cab, which would need to be able to close in cab and hab if demounted.

Thinking this as rough layout:
Luton-Layout.jpg

Ignore the box below, that's the size of our current PVC living area.

The main box is 5m, with a 1.5m overcab. There's a sofa across the front that would have part of the back removed to crawl into cab. I'd fit 2 single seats in the front and have a box the same height as the sofa between, so the dog had a travel bed.

The 2 seats opposite the sofa would be travel seats. We have lots of nieces/nephews that we'd like to take away.

Then, apart from the bed, kitchen and bathroom being a bit bigger, it's the same layout as our current van as it's what we like.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I think that you would be better off letting a manufacturer make your box for you. I think the cost of assembly will be £100s compared to the cost of the cost of the materials £0000s

Also contact horse box manufacturers as they will make you one which is less van like and more motorhome like. Also they will be more comfortable doing stuff off piste and more client focused.

Cheers James

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yep, that's part of the plan, although I would want a door/hatch through to the cab, which would need to be able to close in cab and hab if demounted.

Thinking this as rough layout:
View attachment 459492
Ignore the box below, that's the size of our current PVC living area.

The main box is 5m, with a 1.5m overcab. There's a sofa across the front that would have part of the back removed to crawl into cab. I'd fit 2 single seats in the front and have a box the same height as the sofa between, so the dog had a travel bed.

The 2 seats opposite the sofa would be travel seats. We have lots of nieces/nephews that we'd like to take away.

Then, apart from the bed, kitchen and bathroom being a bit bigger, it's the same layout as our current van as it's what we like.
Have you checked out if you are allowed to carry passengers in a demountable body? Its not something I've every seen mentioned and never seen any with seatbelts, but it doesn't mean it's not allowed of course.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thinking about your plan, don't forget that with a demountable you don't usually have the same amount of storage as you would with a fixed body and of course your gas etc would have to be contained in the hab body so it can be removed with it. Have you had a look at some forums for those with demountables and asked about the 'practicalities' of it compared to your PVC?

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Have you checked out if you are allowed to carry passengers in a demountable body? Its not something I've every seen mentioned and never seen any with seatbelts, but it doesn't mean it's not allowed of course.
No, but I had thought of it and It's something that I need to research (y)

I would guess the travel seats need bolting to the chassis?
If this is the case it wouldn't be the end of the world having to unbolt before removal. I'd have to disconnect the waste pipes and any electrics to the cab anyway.

I'm not (trying) to design the box to be removed often. Only when the base vehicle needs repairs etc.
Thinking about your plan, don't forget that with a demountable you don't usually have the same amount of storage as you would with a fixed body and of course your gas etc would have to be contained in the hab body so it can be removed with it. Have you had a look at some forums for those with demountables and asked about the 'practicalities' of it compared to your PVC?
My plan (atm) is to build the demountable with a 60cm twin floor. I think I'd have around 2.6m in height from a low loader chassis to where an overcab would finish, so this works great on paper.

I could then fit all the tanks, batteries, etc in the floor and have good storage (gas would be 120ltr horizontal, only 36cm high).

I've now joined the forums where others build similar (seem quite popular in EU) and starting to learn. Next stages (if not put off) will be costing and seeing if viable. No rush though :giggle:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Have you thought of how your going to lift it off? It's not going to be light.

And with the tanks in the floor are you sure the floor and associated structure will be strong enough to remove it?

You could make it occasionally demountable where something like a forklift was used to lift it.

Unless your a builder / scaffolder and want to use the truck for work regularly!

Just a thought.

Cheers James

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Have you thought of how your going to lift it off? It's not going to be light.

And with the tanks in the floor are you sure the floor and associated structure will be strong enough to remove it?

You could make it occasionally demountable where something like a forklift was used to lift it.

Unless your a builder / scaffolder and want to use the truck for work regularly!

Just a thought.

Cheers James
Yep, side lifting jacks are built for lifting shipping containers.

I'd build mounting points into the base to accept them when needed (y)

Not a scaffolder. I'm a cabinet maker by trade, but for the last few years I've been supplying kitchen doors online and building vans for people here and there. Since last March I've been building them constantly. Getting bored with Ducato's now :giggle:

Here's a few if interested:
IMG_20201219_131612.jpg
IMG_20190823_143055.jpg
IMG_20200924_142535.jpg
DSC00072.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This is what happens with lockdown boredom. Ideas form :giggle:

I'm thinking about building a larger van, likely a 7.5t with a 5m box and overcab. Thing is, I dont really want to convert a normal box-van, I like the idea of building something like this:
View attachment 458500
Just an idea atm, but I could do with a few pointers if anyone can help?

Firstly - the base vehicle.

I'd like something that goes on forever. Likely a lorry chassis like the Mercedes Atego above, but possibly a higher weight rated Iveco Daily/Mercedes Sprinter etc. Recommendations or ones to avoid?

It would be a huge bonus if it were a simpler engine (no canbus) if possible, but not essential.

Secondly - the box construction.

Has anyone build a box themselves?

I've done a small amount of research and seen most manufacturers use a composite sandwich construction. This seems fairly easy to work with, but not found a supplier yet. Or would an aluminium frame be a better start?

Of course I could start with a box-van, add strength, new roof and build an overcab. But as I'd want side lockers and the look of the above image, it's probably easier to start with a plain chassis?

Anyway, any thoughts?
Mercedes vario single or double cab pickup ...7.5 tonne something like this would make an alternative base than a truck

I found this offer at 𝗺𝗼𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗲.𝗱𝗲:

Mercedes-Benz 818D Vario
First Registration: 07/2006 Mileage: 175.289 km Fuel: Diesel Power: 130 kW (177 Hp)
Price: €9,401

Broken Link Removed

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Yep, side lifting jacks are built for lifting shipping containers.

I'd build mounting points into the base to accept them when needed (y)

Not a scaffolder. I'm a cabinet maker by trade, but for the last few years I've been supplying kitchen doors online and building vans for people here and there. Since last March I've been building them constantly. Getting bored with Ducato's now :giggle:

Here's a few if interested:
View attachment 459590View attachment 459591View attachment 459592View attachment 459593

Do to find the ducato to be reliable??

More so than the boxer with the 2.2 PSA engine.

Wish I had gone that route rather than the movano tbh.

Cheers James

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It made we wonder if 295miles was right as well, ah its not ;) 295k miles.
Thats not so bad though as most know it means that ....but he has the engine down as 5880 cc which cant be right ...id have thought 3.0 litre
5 tonne weight thought which is good

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Mercedes vario single or double cab pickup ...7.5 tonne something like this would make an alternative base than a truck
I really like Varios, but I want an overcab and the option of changing the base vehicle in the future.

A well lit overcab gives us an extra small room, plus a spare room for nieces and nephews.

Having had my van blow up twice whilst fulltime, I'd really like to avoid losing the living section if this happened again. If the rear is removable and the van breaks down, it can be towed to a site, drop the back off and the van goes to the garage (y)
Do to find the ducato to be reliable??

More so than the boxer with the 2.2 PSA engine.

Wish I had gone that route rather than the movano tbh.
My own van is a boxer. I bought it 3 years old with 30k on the clock, but def got the Friday afternoon build.

I had a new turbo at 40k, 2 new alternators, starter, electrical issues, second new turbo at 70k(ish), then the engine blew. A year ago I had a new remanufactured complete engine fitted (not a cheap option) and since then it's been perfect.

Funnily enough, my first self-build (10 years ago) was a Movano. It was my old work van, had since new, and taken a lot of abuse over the years. Still went well as a camper for another 2 years. Was a good van (y)

No mechanic, but it seems that all vehicles will break at some point and a lot of when is luck. Hense wanting demountable.
A group on Facebook called Self build demountables might be worth joining
Yep, joined (y)
Several prison vans on the bay ATM.
I've looked at them. They look a good option for a self-build, but not what I'm leaning towards. If I do decide on this build, I'm building the box (y)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
130k on the clock???

MK2 or MK3 master? (Movano badged)

Hopefully mine come back tomorrow with new engine😀😀😀

I like the idea and hope you can pull it off.

I agree prison vans will always look like prison vans Imho!

Cheers James

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I really like Varios, but I want an overcab and the option of changing the base vehicle in the future.

A well lit overcab gives us an extra small room, plus a spare room for nieces and nephews.

Having had my van blow up twice whilst fulltime, I'd really like to avoid losing the living section if this happened again. If the rear is removable and the van breaks down, it can be towed to a site, drop the back off and the van goes to the garage (y)

My own van is a boxer. I bought it 3 years old with 30k on the clock, but def got the Friday afternoon build.

I had a new turbo at 40k, 2 new alternators, starter, electrical issues, second new turbo at 70k(ish), then the engine blew. A year ago I had a new remanufactured complete engine fitted (not a cheap option) and since then it's been perfect.

Funnily enough, my first self-build (10 years ago) was a Movano. It was my old work van, had since new, and taken a lot of abuse over the years. Still went well as a camper for another 2 years. Was a good van (y)

No mechanic, but it seems that all vehicles will break at some point and a lot of when is luck. Hense wanting demountable.

Yep, joined (y)

I've looked at them. They look a good option for a self-build, but not what I'm leaning towards. If I do decide on this build, I'm building the box (y)
Lots of vario builds with overcabs ....theres a few on instagram being built just now. I met an Australian couple back in november that had a removeable body built on a vario flatbed ....they have had the box on 3 different chassis in different continents. When they finish touring Europe they are shipping the box back to oz and sell the chassis cab in Germany

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
This looked good until I read about the twisted chassis v odd!

Do you know if the cab height changed over the years???

I'm just being superstitious before my movano cones back running tomorrow!!🤞🤞🤞

cheers James

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Lots of vario builds with overcabs ....theres a few on instagram being built just now. I met an Australian couple back in november that had a removeable body built on a vario flatbed ....they have had the box on 3 different chassis in different continents. When they finish touring Europe they are shipping the box back to oz and sell the chassis cab in Germany
If I don't go down the route I'm thinking, next van will likely be a Vario.

I see a lot of bus versions - wouldn't be difficult to ally plate all the windows and paint. Plus they are known for reliability and I guess quite simple to work on?

Don't suppose anyone knows the internal dimensions of something like this?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=174567106291

I would still want a backup in case it developed a fault, but I guess keeping a cheap caravan in storage would work :unsure:

Guess you are looking for the van bodied version?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

I see a lot of bus versions - wouldn't be difficult to ally plate all the windows and paint. Plus they are known for reliability and I guess quite simple to work on?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=174567106291

I would still want a backup in case it developed a fault, but I guess keeping a cheap caravan in storage would work :unsure:

Yes again theres one im following on instagram that was a bus and he removed all the windows and plated it ....a few have also cut the roofs off and raised them by 250mm to create roofspace. If you are handy with a welder and have the place to do it then anything is possible really.

Ive also been looking at those busses but i dont have the premises to remove all the windows .

If you use Instagram just search vario and you will find lots of inspiration.

Think im following about 40 builds at present lol

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

If memory serves me right, 6ft9ins wide and just over 6ft tall length I would have a guess at plus 20 ft behind driver seat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back