Bringing your pets food into Europe from UK. (1 Viewer)

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Something to be aware of as I didn't think of it and hopefully wrong ....but if travelling with your dog into Europe from the UK when we are allowed, you cant bring meat extract in which will rule out most foods, unless its for health reasons as stated below.

Pet food required for health-related reasonsNo more than 2 kg
  • are intended for the pet accompanying the passenger
  • are shelf-stable (do not require refrigeration)
  • are packaged proprietary brand products for direct sale to the final consumer
  • that the packaging is unbroken unless in current use

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Heard on you tube that pet food was excempt,,BUSBY.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
My dog food looks like bacon , smells like bacon and tastes like bacon...just packaged in aldi moist and meaty dog food bag....?? What ? Yes of course I always store my dog food behind the dashboard so she can't help herself.🤡

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
This has been talked about in another thread.
I feed my dog on Wolf of Wilderness dog food tined and exported here from Germany, I emailed them asking if they would still be importing dog food here and if they are would I be able to travel to the eu with sealed unopened tins of their food when touring.
I received a email confirming they would still be exporting dog food to the uk but, did not answer my question if their food would be allowed back into the EU.
So I assume the answer is NO

OP
OP
Mick and Ruth

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Heard on you tube that pet food was excempt,,BUSBY.
I hope it’s true
This has been talked about in another thread.
I feed my dog on Wolf of Wilderness dog food tined and exported here from Germany, I emailed them asking if they would still be importing dog food here and if they are would I be able to travel to the eu with sealed unopened tins of their food when touring.
I received a email confirming they would still be exporting dog food to the uk but, did not answer my question if their food would be allowed back into the EU.
So I assume the answer is NO
Ahh didn’t see that thread will search for it👍

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Our dog has dried food, made up of white fish, potato and other nutrients. No meat. Goodness knows whether this will be okay.

I must admit, we were discussion today whether we'd even get to Spain again this year.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Yes that would be true where there's a danger of cross contamination, but its hard to understand when a EU country can import tins of dog food into the UK but the next day you cannot take the same tins sealed and unopened back into the EU,

Dizzydd2

Free Member
Feb 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
T5
It says that dog food should only be in sealed 2kg bags. dont know about tins and only allowed if prepared due to medical reasons. My dog has a list of allergies, which i can prove and has food specially prepared which i can prove and is sealed in 2Kg bags. They must not be opened.

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Completely new motorhomer
Hang on a minute. I am confused. What are you supposed to do with raw fed dogs? How can you not take food for your dogs??

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Completely new motorhomer
Surely raw meat is the same the world over, why take it with you?
Most people by raw meat from pet food suppliers, not from Waitrose, or the foreign equivalent. The prepared pet stuff is usually 80/10/10, supermarket meat won't be. It might be hard to find raw food suppliers in a foreign country. I guess people don't want to be trawling around for hours trying to find a pet shop that supplies raw food and is accessible for large vehicles.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The animal sanctuary we took muttly from said he was eating Butchers Joint & Coat with unrinary care meal.
On one trip we ran out of his meal because of the pandemic faff etc and gave him dried dog food for a couple of days. Believe me a dog with a upset tummy in a motorhome is not nice for all concerned.
If we did take him abroad I suppose we would have to speak to the vet about his issues with his diet.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Just been to France two bags of dried dog food in the cupboard. No problem no checks. They dont have time or just aren’t interested in doing the check. Fridge and freezer had food in aswell
Same here. Ruby is not to fussy Aldi Lidl moist and meaty cheap food
Problem is nether have anything like that here and we have struggled a bit to find something suitable for her. We only bought 1 bag for 3 months thinking there won’t be an issue
Needless to say we are back over for 90 days in April and will bring enough for 90 days for her along with whatever we need as well

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would take enough for the trip, unlikely anyone will have time to waste checking, and it's not as if you're selling it over there. Muttly will convert it into poo, probably indistinguishable from that which their dogs produce and they can't be bothered to pick up.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We just take what we need for the whole trip in terms of dog food - when being away for months at a time there is a lot!! We've never had issues and can't imagine customs officers being bothered to look.

I'm happy to buy our food when away but not to buy the god-awful dog food I see for sale in the shops in other countries.

Jul 8, 2016
Carshalton
Funster No
MH
Nuevo II 2010
Exp
Since 1993
Can't imagine why people are so concerned about a tiny fridge full of food for the journey. It was good enough before Brexit and I really don't think anyone is going to search your van for an illicit packet of frozen sausages. Last month we were searched in Dover before boarding the Ferry. We asked the friendly officer what he was actually looking for - flick knives was his answer!!! But he never even opened a drawer or a cupboard, or a fridge. You can't be serious, we said. Big problem he said. Well then you are looking in the wrong places, we said. So we talked about the weather then went on our way. Brexit was the biggest mistake ever made by this country!!

Jul 8, 2016
Carshalton
Funster No
MH
Nuevo II 2010
Exp
Since 1993
Can't imagine why people are so concerned about a tiny fridge full of food for the journey. It was good enough before Brexit and I really don't think anyone is going to search your van for an illicit packet of frozen sausages. It's a bunch of rules made Last month we were searched in Dover before boarding the Ferry. We asked the friendly officer what he was actually looking for - flick knives was his answer!!! But he never even opened a drawer or a cupboard, or a fridge. You can't be serious, we said. Big problem he said. Well then you are looking in the wrong places, we said. So we talked about the weather then went on our way. Brexit was the biggest mistake ever made by this country!!

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I took 40kg of dog food into the Netherlands enough for 3 months Millies Wolfheart was not a problem went into Norway no checks done.

Apr 20, 2022
London, UK
Funster No
MH
California vw
Exp
I think it’s max 2 kg for prescription diet nit multiples of. My dog is raw fed but when travelling I transition her onto good vegan kibble (Italian) so we can take it with us ( go 4 weeks at a time) as raw food in a hot small van seems asking for problems. She does well on it. We hit maxi zoo on arrival and stock up on treats snd pizzle chews. In practice we have never been searched and I haven’t heard of anyone who has been.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I took 40kg of dog food into the Netherlands enough for 3 months Millies Wolfheart was not a problem went into Norway no checks done.
Word of caution on Norway if you get caught horrendous fines ,we got checked for all times of food that was not allowed plus the dogs had to be wormed !

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Word of caution on Norway if you get caught horrendous fines ,we got checked for all times of food that was not allowed plus the dogs had to be wormed !
Hi Jenka
Got the dog wormed and papper work done in Sweden for 30eur cost us 10eur in Germany to get the dog back home. I had no checks done at any borders apart from the tunnel back into the UK.

Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
Something to be aware of as I didn't think of it and hopefully wrong ....but if travelling with your dog into Europe from the UK when we are allowed, you cant bring meat extract in which will rule out most foods, unless its for health reasons as stated below.

Pet food required for health-related reasonsNo more than 2 kg
  • are intended for the pet accompanying the passenger
  • are shelf-stable (do not require refrigeration)
  • are packaged proprietary brand products for direct sale to the final consumer
  • that the packaging is unbroken unless in current use
If it’s any help from my experience French authorities never even asked about pet food.

Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
Can't imagine why people are so concerned about a tiny fridge full of food for the journey. It was good enough before Brexit and I really don't think anyone is going to search your van for an illicit packet of frozen sausages. It's a bunch of rules made Last month we were searched in Dover before boarding the Ferry. We asked the friendly officer what he was actually looking for - flick knives was his answer!!! But he never even opened a drawer or a cupboard, or a fridge. You can't be serious, we said. Big problem he said. Well then you are looking in the wrong places, we said. So we talked about the weather then went on our way. Brexit was the biggest mistake ever made by this country!!
French authorities will ask the question re Knives, dairy products etc because it’s a requirement not because they are malicious. Brexit is one of the best moves U.K. has legislated for.

Jun 2, 2010
Winchester, Hants
Funster No
MH
Gulf Stream BT Cruiser RV
Exp
Since 2009
Wanting to abide by the legislation we took no dog food to Europe in April when we went for 88 days. Nightmare! Had to rush around the first night to locate a pet store to buy food. Our dogs normally have Royal Canin kibble- but this was not available. Bought the best kibble they sold- and both dogs got upset stomach’s. Not nice for them- or me! Then managed to find a Royal Canin supplier- bags were twice the UK price! But it had to be done.
No dog should be transitioned over to a new food in one day- they should be moved across to new food over a week. IMHO this is an area of legislation that should be changed to at least allow you to take one weeks food supply for each dog.
Next trip I shall take sacks with me and just hope we don’t get checked 🤞

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back