Brewing up in a motorway services car park. (1 Viewer)

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Hi all, I've just been reading my Caravan and Motorhome Club directory. In the back there are do's and dont's, one point says "no naked flames" in a motorway services parking area. From this advice I assume you cannot light the hob to boil the kettle. Assuming this is correct does everyone adhere to it? Secondly do people take flasks of hot water, buy a coffee from the services, or ???

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
and mobiles

“Directly addressing the issue, the UKPIA website states: "Mobilephones are not designed and certified for use in explosive atmospheres which exist temporarily around the pump and nozzle during refuelling as well as around the fill and vent pipes during petrol deliveries.”

hence the signs not to use your mobile!
But if you go into a lot of stations now it has a QR code to pay instantly on a board next to the pump,normally just next to the “Do not use your mobile” sign 😂 I was chatting to the cashier at my local station and said by the way how can you scan the qr code when you can’t use your phone, it was like I’d asked him how do you split the atom ?😂🤦‍♂️

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I'm sure lorry drivers do it all the time.
They do Indeed. I wittnessed a Dutch Driver, cooking breakfast up on a GAS poratble in the lorry park, and another East European doing the same on the Slip road!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
They do Indeed. I wittnessed a Dutch Driver, cooking breakfast up on a GAS poratble in the lorry park, and another East European doing the same on the Slip road!.

Have you noticed the amount of lorries now stopping on the slip hard shoulder going into the services.

About time plod stopped that practice as it’s blood dangerous.

Upvote 0

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
We drive up to the pumps with engines running, catalytic converter red hot, fully charged with static and radio etc. on. Why worry now about boiling a kettle?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
There is a lot now that run their engine and use an inverter to run a kettle or microwave.
Oooh!! I was reluctant to ask this question before your post.. in case I looked even dimmer than I am...but here goes..

Can I use my 700 watt appliance safely, through an inverter in my van cab whilst the engine is running.. for say 5 to 10 minutes?
Would I need to change the wiring on the 12v socket (cigarette lighter)?

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Oooh!! I was reluctant to ask this question before your post.. in case I looked even dimmer than I am...but here goes..

Can I use my 700 watt appliance safely, through an inverter in my van cab whilst the engine is running.. for say 5 to 10 minutes?
By no means an expert but I would question using cigarette socket even changing wiring.. my experience of them is to overheat where plug goes in..
Why not run dedicated wiring straight from battery to a socket in cab.???

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Thanks General... how on earth did I not know about this...
Will apply soonest.. again many thanks.👍👍
No problem , also he can get a veterans badge free of charge , I got my money back for card just using starbucks !!! I take it you looked into or got an mod pension if you are old enough 😂

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
As we know they park anywhere they think it’s euroland and of course toilet facilities are in the grass verge , they think same rules apply in gb

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
No problem , also he can get a veterans badge free of charge , I got my money back for card just using starbucks !!! I take it you looked into or got an mod pension if you are old enough 😂
Yea been out Navy for 25yrs now on pension.. Just never heard of this card.. can it be widely used..??

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

I would not recommend through your cigarette lighter as it probably does not cables big enough for the job. The drivers I know that use them usually have them wired in by their mechanics, the same as a cb radio in case the drivers mess up the electric system.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back