Brewing up in a motorway services car park. (1 Viewer)

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Hi all, I've just been reading my Caravan and Motorhome Club directory. In the back there are do's and dont's, one point says "no naked flames" in a motorway services parking area. From this advice I assume you cannot light the hob to boil the kettle. Assuming this is correct does everyone adhere to it? Secondly do people take flasks of hot water, buy a coffee from the services, or ???

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We do carry a flask but would use the hob if necessary - well away from the fuel station and would not do so if there was a smell of fuel nearby.

Like emjaiuk I thought naked flames outside but then people do light up cigarettes outside...... possibly it is a rule that is widely ignored.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We do carry a flask but would use the hob if necessary - well away from the fuel station and would not do so if there was a smell of fuel nearby.

Like emjaiuk I thought naked flames outside but then people do light up cigarettes outside...... possibly it is a rule that is widely ignored.

Also if the services actually could cater for special diets I would (possibly) buy a hot meal (Westmorland Services an exception to the rule - they are often very good). We do buy odds and ends at M&S or Waitrose at the services to eat back in the van as without some people buying we may be left without the service facilities.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I knew the rules about naked flames but have ignored them always. After all if such things were that important all motorway services would be no smoking zones even outside!

As for Eberspacher & Webasto heaters, I think you will find that they are considered safe in such circumstances. Although they do have special fitments and controls for use in highly inflammable situations.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I knew the rules about naked flames but have ignored them always. After all if such things were that important all motorway services would be no smoking zones even outside!

As for Eberspacher & Webasto heaters, I think you will find that they are considered safe in such circumstances. Although they do have special fitments and controls for use in highly inflammable situations.
I think you might find it’s more aimed at the ones who want to cook meals etc on dubious camping stoves out on the tarmac or even a bbq. It’s just that they cannot do one without the others.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
At a guess the open flames thing might be driven by the insurance company that they use. If they allow it and then there was a claim it could cost a lot of money , but by saying it’s not allowed I guess it gets them out of paying if it goes up.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Sorry for my ignorance, who makes the "rules", who enforces them.

I seem to remember that the 'no naked flame' rule dates back to Watford Gap days, so I presume it was originally a Ministry of Transport rule. These days thanks to the seemingly ludicrous contracts issued by the civil service, the operators can do or not do whatever they want. They are certainty not going to change anything which encourages people to use their facilities.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Well, that's another reason I'm glad I chose a Wallas XC Duo diesel hob for my moho.....

..... Oh hang on, I normally buy a coffee at service stations........bugger ! 🙂

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
and mobiles

“Directly addressing the issue, the UKPIA website states: "Mobilephones are not designed and certified for use in explosive atmospheres which exist temporarily around the pump and nozzle during refuelling as well as around the fill and vent pipes during petrol deliveries.”

hence the signs not to use your mobile!

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi all, I've just been reading my Caravan and Motorhome Club directory. In the back there are do's and dont's, one point says "no naked flames" in a motorway services parking area. From this advice I assume you cannot light the hob to boil the kettle. Assuming this is correct does everyone adhere to it? Secondly do people take flasks of hot water, buy a coffee from the services, or ???
In the summer I will usually use the electric kettle on inverter, as it doesn't heat up the interior though I will use gas in colder weather when less solar energy. We wouldn't park near the petrol station anyway as we are principally looking for a nice quiet patch of grass so the dogs can have a pee. I much prefer tea to coffee and service station tea is generally bad and expensive.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If we stop at a service area for lunch we always have a brew

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Defence Force Card. ?????

7800FF97-A623-437D-A2A8-2847EC6925D6.png

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Thanks General... how on earth did I not know about this...
Will apply soonest.. again many thanks.👍👍

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Greggs breakfast menu. Love their coffee way more than Costa or Starbucks £ for £

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back