Brake lights not working (2 Viewers)

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
That's good. Nothing worse than a problem you can't see your way through.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Would like to thank you all for your advice. We have managed to locate which fuse related to the brakes, changed it and all working now.
thats good, i mistakenly presumed that you had already checked the fuse. basically if one light fails check the bulb, if both check the fuse first

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Sometimes a brake light bulb filament can blow then short onto the rear driving light filament or visa versa (if you have that arrangement) causing Many a fun and games on some vehicles. So change the bulbs, then if no joy replace the brake light switch. If no joy you have a bad earth. My experience is the brake light switch is often the culprit, Especially if it's mechanical and will wear out.

If a fuse blows it's telling you there is likely a problem, so don't ignore it, have you checked the brake lights are working with the rear lights on ?

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Nothing worse than pulling things apart then finding the easy way is the fault. If both brake lights are not working check the fuse first.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just to complicate matters?. What year is the `van. later ones are "Canbus". Which in essence means the the controlling voltage is measured in milliamp`s as a digital signal? which in turn means good earthing quality is essential. My 2007 IS.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
This happened to me once, just try slowly and gently wiggling the light stalk. In my case, it was a dodgy contact on the stalk. It was quick enough to replace the stalk switch. But not cheap!

Actually, on reflection, it was the rear lights, don't suppose it'll work for the stoppers. Sorry

Last edited:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Glad you got it sorted , let's just hope it was a bulb blowing that blew the fuse,, otherwise what blew the fuse??

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Glad you got it sorted , let's just hope it was a bulb blowing that blew the fuse,, otherwise what blew the fuse??
He should check the brake lights, with the rear lights on and indicators going to rule out any short circuits in the wiring or bulbs.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back