tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
FI at have brake fluid change as a recommendation for their 2 year service. Has this any merit for a low mileage Moho (<5k miles)?
Any informed views welcome
tk

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Brake fluid absorbs water. Water boils a lot sooner than brake fluid but at 5k miles in two years I wouldn’t bother.

Reactions: tkk
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would say that you should be pretty safe at such low miles, but as mentioned above, brake fluid absorbs water, which leads to brake fade. It shouldn't be too expensive to change, as all garages have the kit these days to push fresh fluid through.

One point of note though is the combined brake/clutch master cylinder in fiat and some other manufacturers

Upvote 0

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
I bit the billet and paid for a service this year just to get a stamp! (I DIY otherwise), I asked the garage to change the brake fluid.....only to be told “nah, we test it and only change it if needed”, nice approach not just taking my money so they are now my “goto“ Moho garage! (Forest MOT, Wokingham).

Jim

Upvote 0
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
My van is nearly 8 years old now and never changed the brake fluid. My garage do contamination check. They have 5 mechanics and very rarely need to change the brake fluid as its a sealed system. The boss says it a modern day moneyspinner which he doesn't agree with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: tkk
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I changed mine, snapped a brake nipple off and only just managed to get it out.

Nearly cost me a new calliper.

Getting at the clutch cylinder was such an arse I decided changing nearly all of it through the brakes was fine. 😂

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tkk

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Thanks all,
Ill give it a miss this time. may get to use the brakes more soon!

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
FI at have brake fluid change as a recommendation for their 2 year service. Has this any merit for a low mileage Moho (<5k miles)?
Any informed views welcome
tk

Brake fluid can be killed by overuse (i.e. braking a lot) or by water (absorbed over time). This is why there is a period recommendation as well as a mileage one. However, if they're not spongy feeling and the fluid is still light straw coloured, you can probably go longer than 2 years, unless it is compulsory on the service schedule.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I crack each bleed screw every year otherwise they will seize up and be a real PITA. Brake fluid change when car is new to me and then never again, although most end up getting a change due to other issues

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Motorhome is going in for its second service in a couple of weeks (4 years old) as we have only done 10k since the last service so just having a light service but I've asked for the brake fluid to be changed this time. One reason we like mountains and don't like brake fade. I wouldn't bother getting it changed at 2 years.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we bought our Rienza it had been stood for nine months so for piece of mind I had a full service done by the garage we normally use. They tested the brake fluid and did a full service and inspection.
They found nothing wrong with the brake fluid but suggested the fronts discs and pads be changed next service. Considering the motorhome had only done 25000 I was surprised by that.
When they did change the discs and pads I mentioned the handbrake needed adjusting. When they pulled the drums off the linings were coming away from the shoes.
The difference in the brakes was really noticeable and the handbrake holds on three or four clicks. They did change the brake fluid at this time.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Not sure if brake fluid test is any use. It's a long way from the reservoir to the caliper and brake fluid doesn't flow very much so testing the reservoir fluid seems pointless

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Brake fluid can be killed by overuse (i.e. braking a lot) or by water (absorbed over time). This is why there is a period recommendation as well as a mileage one. However, if they're not spongy feeling and the fluid is still light straw coloured, you can probably go longer than 2 years, unless it is compulsory on the service schedule.
VW don't recommend changing brake fluid until 3 years from new and thereafter every 2 years.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back