Bilbao warning (1 Viewer)

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
if anyone is travelling via Bilbao please take great care, even in daylight, if waiting overnight, take it in turns to stay awake and just keep flashing a bright torch in their faces every time they come near, shining it in the wing mirrors , there were 11 of them last night and they never stopped all night, rang rings around the 2 security guards, I rang the police at 3.45 because they were trying to break into a hymer garage, I don't think their dog barked, and then they were trying to break into their car on the trailer .

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Thanks for this post, I am thinking all our future crossings will be in the day light with arrival in port just a few daylight hours before, the migrants are just completely brazen and have no respect for our vehicles, they have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I might be a bit stupid but, where in Bilbao are you talking about and who are "they"?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We crossed last week and saw a few but they were no trouble during the day or night - I slept well at the Brittany Ferry terminal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I suspect the local police are not that interested because they believe they will find any stowaways in the pre-boarding checks which can be pretty strict

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Ask @Teuchter about his experiance.

If staying at ferryport overnight make sure everything is locked & secure and if you have a cover on your bikes my advice is to remove it!

We were woken at 4am in the port in October by someone "interfering" with our van - I got up and gave chase - turns out that something (perhaps even somebody?) was hidden on top of the bikes under and the cover the police found whatever it was in the morning and arrested 2 "illegals" I thought they were trying to steal the bikes not stowing something on top of them!!

Police did not contact me it was another motorhomer who saw it all and told me afterwards!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There were a few walking about the departure area last week,,,We don't worry much because there is only room for two of us in our little van and i can see the cycles through the rear window,,BUSBY:xgrin::xgrin:

OP
OP
Lynne Roy
Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
T
I suspect the local police are not that interested because they believe they will find any stowaways in the pre-boarding checks which can be pretty strict

That was what shocked me most, only the Hymer was checked and the lorries, most people slept through a lot of the night although I am sure they heard the security announcements telling them to leave the area, I only posted this because I wanted people to be aware and the people trying to break in carried on all night, they worked in 2 groups, 1 distracting security whilst another group were trying all the doors and windows

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I was aware things were a bit grim in Spain for the expats since the Ā£ crashed, but not that grim :).

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Think if your garage,,if you have one is secured well there is really nothing to worry about,,,,,BUSBY,,

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Its a couple of years since we had the lock on the side locker of our Burstner Elegance popped with a screw driver, we heard the chap banging our stuff around trying to squeeze in and hide. He scarpered when we opened the door.
Last trip back from Caen we daren't leave our motorhome unattended, then we watched the staff at Brittany ferries Portsmouth help a chap out from under the tarpaulin of a trailer. Believe me these folk are determined and desperate and looking for any opportunity.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
According to the Guardian it should rather be illegals trying to get in vehicles at Plymouth/Portsmouth to escape the UK to Europe :xwink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back