Bikes with a PVC (1 Viewer)

Vibranium

Free Member
Feb 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Hi all.
I am new to motorhomes etc. Having rented a couple of times, am now thinking of buying.
I believe a hightop panel van conversion with rear permanent bed would suit. However, i would like to take a couple of bicycles when we go on trips (at least one electric). I believe you can have a bike rack on a PVC, but am concened about security and weight limit. I would rather not leave the bikes on the back when parked in towns, or away from the camp site, and was looking at the Globecar Campscout Revolution as possibly a wsy to put the bikes inside when not actualy travelling, but they seem to have stopped making them.
Has anybody any thoughts on or solutions to this issue?

Thanks

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
It looks like the Adria 640 Supreme SGX, mentioned above, addresses the requiement.

I have been looking at Globecar and similar (or above) quality. How does Adria fit in relation?

Thanks.
We nearly went for the SGX but the electric bed costs some width on the longitudinal bed and a surprising amount of payload over the SLB (which we went for in the end) so you need to be sure you will use/need it đź‘Ť
Biggest difference between those brands we found wasn’t so much quality but colours and finishes. The Twin range is a lot more contemporary and modern versus the more traditional look of the Globecar - depends which you prefer 👍🙂

Upvote 0

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We have carried 2 ebikes on a tow bar rack on our Ih all over Europe with no issues. Have now gone for electric Bromptons for the new van that will store easily in the boot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I too have had many a crack round the head from the rear door mounted bike rack on a PVC! My solution is I now have a towbar mounted bike rack wh8ch is a lot easier to manage.

Upvote 1
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Bikes in the living area? Not for me. Garage or rear cycle rack I'm afraid. They are oily, dirty and sharp and prone to damaging you van.

Some peeps might be able to manage having them in their living area. But not us. We are too old to me tripping over a bike after 2 bottles of local vino
I have an electric folder with 20" wheels. The Bromptons with the smaller wheels are more compact, but the 20"-ers are more stable to ride. It travels, folded, inside my van, in a 'bike wrap', which makes it easier to load/unload it, contains any mud or dirt on the bike, and protects the van's interior. It also makes it easier to shift the bike about inside if I need to access the cupboards it usually sits against in transit (as it's secured by a leather strap through the bike frame and the rear seat belts. Don't fancy a heavy bike hurtling forward if my van is smacked up the back in a crash). The wrap also means that anyone nosying in the van doesn't obviously see there's a bike there.
Once on site, the bike is locked to my front wheel with an insurance approved lock. The battery is kept in the van.
This worked very well touring in Holland a couple of years ago. But it is a heavy bike. I also have a Dahon folder with 24 gears! It folds smaller despite also having 20" wheels, and is MUCH lighter for shifting about. So I choose the bike according to the destination.
But I still prefer my non-folding, non-electric, hybrid Trek. :unsure:
20180525-_DSC7261-lo_res.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
We have a Globecar Campscout and have a Memo VanStar Swing Away bike carrier fitted to the rear chassis. It swings away from the barn doors to allow access to the garage with the bikes still mounted.

Ebikes are heavy (23kg each) and there have been reports of hinge damage when Ebikes have been mounted on the barn doors. The bike carrier wieghs 46kg itself so go for the MAXI chassis, which is capable of uprating to between 3900kgs (without modification) and 4500kgs (after uprating tyres and maybe air suspension) and you'll have plenty of internal garage storage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We have raleigh folding electric bikes, which we could store in the van if needed. However I am going to go with the Altera Strada DL3 which will take the two bikes and also tilts back far enough for the rear doors to open fully. Bikes will be secured to the rack with a security chain and will also have the bike loop from the strikeback alarm fitted.

Attachments

• bike rack.jpg
    bike rack.jpg
    836.2 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We went for the Adria Twin Supreme 640 slb.Better payload than the sgx.Room for two bikes with quick release front wheels and all the usual stuff in the garage

Upvote 0
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
My 640SLB garage.

Built ply frame, right side holds 2 Bromptons and centre stores 2 folding chairs, aired and space between top and bed for all sorts of sundries.
D36E5639-326A-44A8-9DD6-CADB6E34F773.jpeg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back