Bikes with a PVC (1 Viewer)

Vibranium

Free Member
Feb 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Hi all.
I am new to motorhomes etc. Having rented a couple of times, am now thinking of buying.
I believe a hightop panel van conversion with rear permanent bed would suit. However, i would like to take a couple of bicycles when we go on trips (at least one electric). I believe you can have a bike rack on a PVC, but am concened about security and weight limit. I would rather not leave the bikes on the back when parked in towns, or away from the camp site, and was looking at the Globecar Campscout Revolution as possibly a wsy to put the bikes inside when not actualy travelling, but they seem to have stopped making them.
Has anybody any thoughts on or solutions to this issue?

Thanks

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
There are other PVCs that have a transverse rear bed that either can be raised, or folded in half laterally to accomodate full size bikes. Folding bikes like my ancient classic Bickerton would be my preferred option.

w2f

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Vibranium

Free Member
Feb 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Thanks for replies:
I think cheap electric bike is an oxymoron. Plus, i would like to cover a good few km, so a heavy old bike would not be ideal.

The fold up bed solution may work, but it looks like it would use all storage space.

I think Possl still do the electrically raised bed: does anybody know if Possl are available in UK, if they can be imported, or if any other manufacturer does them?

Upvote 0

Top Dog

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
None at present
Exp
David has 6 years experience as a full-timer in Australia (2002-2008). RV: "Winnebago Longreach".
I would suggest looking at the Adria 640 Supreme SGX. This model is designed for the job at hand. Good luck with your search.
Regards, David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I think Possl still do the electrically raised bed: does anybody know if Possl are available in UK, if they can be imported, or if any other manufacturer does them?
You can certainaly import them
I think the issue is a shortage of vans to convert going by whats being said on the Possl forum
If you are after used there are a few on Broken Link Removed
I don't know if there are anymore hoops to jump through since Brexit
The standard Campscouts you can get the bikes inside but its a bit of a faf without the electric bed and you need them out to make up the bed

Adria do a lefting bed but it's not got the extra high roof as Top Dog says

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
We have 2 bikes and we take them everywhere. Its possible with a PVC if you have a high level transverse bed, but I can tell you its not great. We decided that the best option was a small motorhome with a proper garage. We have a bike rack as well. When we are travelling we take stuff out of the garage (awning etc.) and store it a midships in the main galley. We take the bikes apart and put them in the garage. We can still sleep in the van (say on Aires etc.) and we are secure. When we get to a more secure place we put the bikes on the rack and the stuff in the van back in the garage. Its still a bit of a faff but it works for us.

I honestly don't think we could manage with a PVC. There are some slimline low profile motorhomes that are the same footprint as a PVC but make life so much easier.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There are quite a few companies that make folding electric bikes. Before you part with any cash you should always go for a test ride - if the bike is not comfortable you won't use it (saddles can - possibly should - be replaced) it's the distance between handlebars and saddle, and the cycling position you need to be aware of. Check just how small it folds down and where you could store it.

There are custom built PVCs that have internal bike storage (Race Vans). Like gpat I would tend to go for a motorhome rather than a PVC.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The fold up bed solution may work, but it looks like it would use all storage space.
I think that is the problem with putting bikes inside the van. We have a Rapido V68 pvc (length 6.4m) with fixed longitudinal twin beds, that can be made in to a giant double. But in theory, the configuration would easily accommodate a couple of bikes, with the beds folded up - they hinge to the sides.

But, as you say, you then lose much / all of the storage space in the garage. :unsure:

Our van, and its storage at the back, works perfectly for us but, unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to sensibly get bikes inside as well. Guess, we carry too much other clobber... ;) :giggle:

Oh, and just to add - :welcome3: to the FUN! (y)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you will become frustrated after a while storing the bikes inside if the the bed is fixed unless it can be elevated out of the way. It will be a struggle getting them inside using the side door with most designs as the opening is almost always obstructed with part of the kitchen.

You could look at models with a rear lounge which can convert to two beds, such as the East Neuk Touring L. With this the bikes could be wheeled in through the back doors. But to carry a pair of bikes, especially if one is electric, needs a tow bar mounted rack to be safe and ideally one which can fold out of the way so you can open the rear doors.

Another alternative might be the Murvi Morroco, which is what we have. The side door is unobstructed by anything so the bikes could be easily lifted inside and there is plenty of room inside for them. Downside is the bed needs to be made up but this is easily done.

It's all about compromise but don't forget the option of a good alarm which can be fitted with a wire to go around the bikes. Then you can leave them in place.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Vibranium and welcome to the fun house. šŸ¤Ŗ

If you get quick release front wheels on the bikes there's no reason they can't be stored under a fixed rear bed in a PVC without having to raise the bed base, and it will still leave you with some storage. The only thing you need to check is the length once the front wheel is removed to ensure there is sufficient depth but even that can be got round by removing the centre panel between the underbed area which many PVC have.

When looking for an electric bike get one with the batter either built into the main frame (ie hidden) or one on the rear rack as they are quite a bit shorter than the ones where the battery is stored behind the frame where the seat post goes. The other advantage is that the frame and rack battery ones are not so obviously electric bikes and less desirable (you can hide the rack battery but putting on some panniers).

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
eBikes are heavy...we have two carried in the garage on our 6.4m Hymer...although the rear bike rack mountings were factory fitted by Hymer I wouldn't want that stress putting on the fabric of the van...for short hops one bike minus battery could be considered....bit of a struggle for my aging arms....as for security...once had a couple of teenagers attempting to nick two bikes we had chained up to our van.....my arms were younger then as they found out........šŸ¤­šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡¦

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Hi Vibranium and welcome to the fun house. šŸ¤Ŗ

If you get quick release front wheels on the bikes there's no reason they can't be stored under a fixed rear bed in a PVC without having to raise the bed base, and it will still leave you with some storage. The only thing you need to check is the length once the front wheel is removed to ensure there is sufficient depth but even that can be got round by removing the centre panel between the underbed area which many PVC have.

When looking for an electric bike get one with the batter either built into the main frame (ie hidden) or one on the rear rack as they are quite a bit shorter than the ones where the battery is stored behind the frame where the seat post goes. The other advantage is that the frame and rack battery ones are not so obviously electric bikes and less desirable (you can hide the rack battery but putting on some panniers).
I do exactly this with our Adria Twin Supreme - although the bed can be lifted, we leave it made up and in place and remove the front wheels of the two bikes. My better halfā€™s bike is shorter than mine and will go in with just the seat post dropped. Mine is a bit longer so I turn the handlebars 90 degrees as well, Still had room on last holiday in the boot for BBQ, chairs, tables etc etc

It does take 10 mins to get the bikes ready for use but thats not a problem really. Theres no way I wanted to hang them off the rear door - didnt want holes drilled in the door and the bikes are too attractive to thieves to leave out - plus theyā€™d get filthy from road muck as well.

PS You do need something to hold the front forks - its really easy to knock up a simple holder - if youā€™re thinking of this solution, let m know and Iā€™ll send you a couple of photos of how I did it

Upvote 0

Pirahna

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Since never. I've been a lightweight tent camper for the last 45 years.
Sounds like a similar problem to my own. I wanted a fixed lengthways bed with storage for a couple of reasonable decent bikes. The van needed to be able to lived in long term as well. After much looking and not finding anything I liked, I ordered a new LWB Crafter Maxi (7.4m long) and it's booked in for a conversion.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I guess if you're conscious of the van weight limit and not keen to mount the bikes on an outside rack, then you've already discounted the Memo Van Star Swing Away Bike Carrier solution - which, apart from those 2 considerations, could be considered an neat solution. It's what we've gone for on our new CampScout.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner City Car.
Exp
35 years
We have a 6m Burstner PVC with a fixed bed across the back. It is a bit of a squeeze but we get two folding electric bikes and two folding chairs under the bed. The bikes came from Halfords and have the battery in the frame.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Vibranium

Free Member
Feb 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
OK, thanks for replies (and welcomes) so far. Some things to think about.
I would like to take our full size, non electric bikes for a quick couple of nights way at least, but small electric folders, or even scooters, may be ok for longer trips.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Vibranium

Free Member
Feb 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
It looks like the Adria 640 Supreme SGX, mentioned above, addresses the requiement.

I have been looking at Globecar and similar (or above) quality. How does Adria fit in relation?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for replies:
I think cheap electric bike is an oxymoron. Plus, i would like to cover a good few km, so a heavy old bike would not be ideal.

Possl can easily be imported to the UK, our last van was a Possl Roadcruiser which we ordered new from German dealer with full U.K Spec, not sure if Brexit will make a difference.

You can also buy a bike rack that fits to your chassis for the PVC. https://www.busbiker.com/en.

I'd also recommend Vanbitz alarm as they come with a bike loop so you can have the bikes alarmed while on the van.

Upvote 0
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Think before getting an external bike rack on the back door, I hired a PVC with one for a weekend and lost count of the number of times I hit my head closing the door. Donā€™t know if Iā€™d have got used to it before giving myself brain damage šŸ˜‚

My solution was 2 Bromptons bought off eBay with Swytch electric kits.

Easily stored and very usable. Not that heavy either.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We have carried two bikes on the back of our pvc with no problem and that includes several trips to Spain and back. With the batteries taken off and stored inside the van ours do not weigh much more than normal bikes and they are decent quality ones. The maximum weight on the Fiamma rack specifically made for a pvc is 35 kg and our bikes weigh 45 kg together. I did however bolt the rack through the back doors so the weight does not appear to be a problem and the door hinges seem okay.

13C39039-7587-47BF-861B-5B8EC3C1269A.jpeg

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It looks like the Adria 640 Supreme SGX, mentioned above, addresses the requiement.

I have been looking at Globecar and similar (or above) quality. How does Adria fit in relation?

Thanks.

Hi. Adria is up there with the best makes. Excellent quality.

We have a SunLiving (budget Adria) and it is as good as our old Hymer as far as quality.

We put our bikes under the bed but without the batteries. The batteries go into a floor cupboard that is just the right size for them (side by side) and which is otherwise too low down and too far back to be able to use for anything used several times a day (my poor back!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Vibranium

Free Member
Feb 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Thanks for more recent replies. I have a tow-bar mounted bike rack for my car, so I guess I could use that, but then that needs storing when not on the bus. The rear-door mounted ones can stay put, but I guess I would have to watch my head and the weight. (my bike is 10Kg, but wife's one (electric) is 25kGg with battery. Ribble do electric ones at around 12Kg though).

Adria and Possl worth investigating when possible though. Sun lives in Germany, so maybe he could buy the latter for me.

Upvote 0

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
Think before getting an external bike rack on the back door, I hired a PVC with one for a weekend and lost count of the number of times I hit my head closing the door. Donā€™t know if Iā€™d have got used to it before giving myself brain damage šŸ˜‚

My solution was 2 Bromptons bought off eBay with Swytch electric kits.

Easily stored and very usable. Not that heavy either.
Oh my god, this!

we have a Malibu with a rear bike rack and every bleedinā€™ time I manage to almost decapitate myself when opening the rear doors. Obviously, thereā€™s a special kit for PVCs but unless you want to raise the beds and lose storage itā€™ll be a case of getting good locks and probably a cover as well.

Bromptons are a good compromise but they are pricey even second hand but there are other makes available (but Bromptons are the daddy!)

One thing though, before we bought we hired an Adria 640 and the rack had to be removed prior to hiring due to a misaligned rear door so I guess we have to be very careful with weights on the rear door. If you have a heavy bike(s), it may be an issue.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Bikes in the living area? Not for me. Garage or rear cycle rack I'm afraid. They are oily, dirty and sharp and prone to damaging you van.

Some peeps might be able to manage having them in their living area. But not us. We are too old to me tripping over a bike after 2 bottles of local vino

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back