Bikers not wanted at Winterton, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

oppy

Free Member
Nov 8, 2014
Glossop, North Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built Lunar
Exp
5 years
If you've already filled your tank, surely they have two choices. Only once has this happened to me and it as a few years ago, so I removed my helmet, no problem---------------------------------except I was wearing a full face balaclava,, they still accepted my debit card though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I will be quite happy to remove my helmet when everyone who wears something that hides their face is subjected to the same requirements. If you stop at a pump, fill up and walk in, the chances of you being a robber is about nil.

It has nothing to to do with religion/hatred or anything other than fairness.

I always take my helmet off if walking into a bank as they have a sticker at the door asking. When I see a sticker on a fuel pump asking the same I always comply, it’s the smart arsed oik on the tannoy that annoys me.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
When on bike I wear a flip front helmet , I have never taken it off ,just open the front , I have never been asked to remove helmet
..............so far . I am not sure if I would state that my religious beliefs require me to wear it at all times in public if requested to remove?
I sometimes wear a flip front, usually when carrying out bloodbike duties, the only time I have been asked to remove it was by a border officer in the UK, it did make me smile as he clearly wasn’t Anglo Saxon.

The average motorcyclist is not a thug, they are often riding motorcycles that cost more than £12,000 new and wear more than a £1,000 worth of clothing, my helmet cost almost what we paid for the girls car.

We have been lucky enough to stop at some very nice hotels where we have turned up on the bike, wearing full biker gear and have been engaged in friendly chat that usually includes a bit of envy and laughter when I hand the concierge the keys and they nervously apologise as they can’t ride.

If shops/pubs/cafes don’t want the trade, so be it, there are plenty of places that are pleased with the business.

Spadger

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
Durham
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
It’s more ironic when you see signs saying dogs and bikers welcome , normally in that order , my wife and I have rode bikes for best part of all our lives , I’m now 60 , the U.K. is very prejudiced towards motorcycles, ( we trail ride on legal trails as well ) Europe in general is far more receptive. Been turned away quite a few times , funnily enough it never happened when I rode my police bike

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You don’t see the group 4 guys with the armoured vehicles take no their helmets off :)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Interesting thread - I've been riding bikes for 50 years and have never had any of these problems, either here (UK) or abroad and in my teens I had shoulder length hair, wore greasy jeans & a scruffy leather jacket

I must be a really nice guy on or off my motorbikes

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Interesting thread - I've been riding bikes for 50 years and have never had any of these problems, either here (UK) or abroad and in my teens I had shoulder length hair, wore greasy jeans & a scruffy leather jacket

I must be a really nice guy on or off my motorbikes

Either that or your 6'8" 20s stone have a bolt through your neck staring eyes and a very deep rough voice:D

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Either that or your 6'8" 20s stone have a bolt through your neck staring eyes and a very deep rough voice:D

No, 5' 9" about 11st 10lb, incredibly handsome, super intelligent, massive willy and, above all, modest:)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I just use pay at pump. ‘‘Tis easiest way, although a couple of years since the bike, ( not saying what, too many p..s takers on here:))
Kept debit handy in front pocket. Could even stay on bike.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I just use pay at pump. ‘‘Tis easiest way, although a couple of years since the bike, ( not saying what, too many p..s takers on here:))
Kept debit handy in front pocket. Could even stay on bike.
Interestingly in Europe, pay at pump is far more prevalent, mores the pity it isnt here

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Only asked to remove my helmet once, ironic as I was wearing a flip front helmet and going to use the "pay at pump" facility - a right jobsworth !!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
What are the motorcycle crime statistics in this country which warrant and justify such? May be interesting to compare that with those wearing hoodies etc.

The moped crime being perpetrated in the likes of London is not comparable with those who ride motorcycles for commuting or pleasure, they are in the main no more likely to rob or assault than the average car driver.
Worse than that is that they aren't even mopeds :D.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I was a ranger in a national park in Australia. One afternoon, I heard several motorbikes turn up to the campsite. I went to investigate on my trails bike and has a good chat with the 20 or so members of a local bike chapter who had come to stay for the weekend. They didn't look like typical tourists and I was a little skeptical about them at first. They turned out to be perfect guests, unlike the middle aged, middle class families that wasted so much firewood, made mess in the loos and tried to catch and steal wildlife as well as making party noises through the night.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
How would anyone know if your face cannot be seen. The point is a robber, or anyone else intending to commit crime, perhaps a drive off, would not want their face to be seen would they, therefore the knowledge that they can be identified on CCTV must be an effective preventative measure,
And that is the whole point...

Do you think a robber is going to give a flying foofoo about helmet off rules ?Oc course not... The ONLY people it affects are law abiding

i don't see a need for face coverings in commercial premises, shops, banks etc. and I don't see a valid argument for not removing them either.

Tell that to those wearing Burkas
Tell that to the mum in the middle of winter who is trying not to make their cold worse while they drag themselves to the shops

Poxy CCTV is useless 99% of the time any way

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
And that is the whole point...

Do you think a robber is going to give a flying foofoo about helmet off rules ?Oc course not... The ONLY people it affects are law abiding

Tell that to those wearing Burkas
Tell that to the mum in the middle of winter who is trying not to make their cold worse while they drag themselves to the shops

Poxy CCTV is useless 99% of the time any way

I don’t really see what point you are making. Are you in favour of face coverings in shops/banks/public buildings such as hospitals etc. Are you in favour of the request to remove helmets or at least raise visirs to show face.? CCTV can be very effective and clear in some cases and the knowledge that images are being recorded would be some sort of deterrent.

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Do not know how it is around the country but masked armed robbers with sawn off shot guns does not seem to happen around here. They tend to get a jcb and rip out the cash machine from the wall in the middle of the night when nobody is about.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Taking yer hat off is a faff if you don't plan to stop and have a rest, in the winter it is a complete pain in the butt. The neck warmer has to be in the correct position and taking the gloves off for even 2 mins really does make a difference to the temperature of your hands, even with heated clothing. However when it's wet it is the worst!! Getting the gloves sealed under the jacket and the overgloves just right is an art form and not one I wish to repeat more than I have to.

Yes, it is a real fiddle getting the helmet on and everything tucked into place again and it's virtually impossible to put soaked gloves back on. I've tried bark-busters and had numerous pairs of 'waterproof' biking gloves and over-gloves (and boots!) and they've all leaked after a couple of hours in heavy rain.
In 50 years of riding all over Europe I've only been asked a couple of times at petrol stations to remove my helmet, although at ports the Border Control always insist which isn't a problem as when going out I take it off as soon as soon as I join the ferry queue and don't put it on when disembarking until through all the checks and cleared to leave.
Never had a refusal to serve at pubs, hotels, shops etc.
For the past 7 years I've only had use of my left hand and arm so these days the process is rather more difficult as I have to rest my helmet on a chair or bench and bend down and push my head into it. Gloves, jacket zips and Velcro flaps etc. need patience.
Mind you, at 73 with my flip-front helmet open I don't look much of a threat.
Worlds End snip.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
On a separate note I've often wondered whether a Muslim lady has a passport photo with her face uncovered and if she has to expose her face at passport control points. Just curious; :unsure: I've no bias or prejudice either way.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Don't see the problem.
If you're a law abiding biker and you don't want to remove your helmet then go somewhere else.
As for religious face coverings ... arent they banned yet?
Think there's probably another thread on that

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
When on bike I wear a flip front helmet , I have never taken it off ,just open the front , I have never been asked to remove helmet
..............so far . I am not sure if I would state that my religious beliefs require me to wear it at all times in public if requested to remove?
I am exactly the same. If refused service I would never go back.

I was asked by a very diplomatic young member of staff at a local B & M to remove my flip helmet. I complied because I didn't want a scene but did email them at HO....what about veils etc?....no answer....no surprise there then!!

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
On a separate note I've often wondered whether a Muslim lady has a passport photo with her face uncovered and if she has to expose her face at passport control points. Just curious; :unsure: I've no bias or prejudice either way.
Don’t know about sea ports or tunnel but I understand airports have a room set aside so they show their face in private to a female member of staff. I do not agree with it myself. If they can’t show their faces probably better not to come at all.

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yes, it is a real fiddle getting the helmet on and everything tucked into place again and it's virtually impossible to put soaked gloves back on. I've tried bark-busters and had numerous pairs of 'waterproof' biking gloves and over-gloves (and boots!) and they've all leaked after a couple of hours in heavy rain.
In 50 years of riding all over Europe I've only been asked a couple of times at petrol stations to remove my helmet, although at ports the Border Control always insist which isn't a problem as when going out I take it off as soon as soon as I join the ferry queue and don't put it on when disembarking until through all the checks and cleared to leave.
Never had a refusal to serve at pubs, hotels, shops etc.
For the past 7 years I've only had use of my left hand and arm so these days the process is rather more difficult as I have to rest my helmet on a chair or bench and bend down and push my head into it. Gloves, jacket zips and Velcro flaps etc. need patience.
Mind you, at 73 with my flip-front helmet open I don't look much of a threat.
View attachment 248243
See I blame you, cos you look like a fug:tounge::clap:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
For me taking my helmet of is a pain in hot weather, your fingers get sweaty & when you pull your hands out your gloves the inner lining tries to come out with your fingers. then you have to faff & poke the inner back in the gloves, so if asked I go somewhere else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back