Big September Exit (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
France and Spain via motorbike and paradors September. France via mh October.
c19 has already messed up 18 months of my retirement. And I doubt I'll feel any less safe in Europe. I'm not one for cowering at home with a cup of tea watching countdown.

As topski off piste instructor once said to me - you're a long time dead.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
France and Spain via motorbike and paradors September. France via mh October.
c19 has already messed up 18 months of my retirement. And I doubt I'll feel any less safe in Europe. I'm not one for cowering at home with a cup of tea watching countdown.

As topski off piste instructor once said to me - you're a long time dead.
Pre-COVID we did Spain and Portugal on our motorcycles for 5 years running, staying mainly in Paradors. Being away for three weeks we’d break the hotels up with a couple of nights in apartments….with a washing machine of course. ;)

Well worth joining the Parador loyalty scheme (Amigos) for meal offers and we managed a free night in a suite in Salamanca.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
We have only been asked once for our vaccination certificates in France at an ice cream shop.... sitting out side! In Spain now, EVERBODY wearing face masks inside and out, no vaccintion certificates asked for. Note: we had to provide vaccination evidence before booking the chunnel.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I booked the tunnel for 1st of September, we'll be going straight to Benidorm! No visiting boring places on the way🥱 😎 no monasteries, no castles, no countryside, cheeses, vines, farms or any other crap along the way 😆 it's not about the journey.. But the Destination 🌞⛱️🍺🎸😍
Good for you both...we'll be doing similar, but...not leaving till early Feb 22! Hopefully all this ridiculous form filling, testing etc will have gone by then.

Allen & Eileen

OP
OP
TM59

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
From all the replies, it would appear many are travelling in September, seeking some sun. Although ferry booked for 3rd September I am still undecided. Need to get my head around the fact the virus is more than likely here to stay, which will ultimately be accompanied by more travel rules/restrictions/tests/paperwork etc.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Hopefully we will meet up somewhere again! When are you launching?
Not sure, arrive on 4th, got some work to do on boat so probs a week in the yard Will be trying to sort out Simons residency too. When we hauled mid December we walked past your boat every day!

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Hopefully we will meet up somewhere again! When are you launching?
We are crossing to France on tbe 26th and hoping that Italy rescinds its requirement to isolate or transit in 36 hours on the 30th as we fancy a day or two there before we cross to Igoumenitsa...

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We had planned to fly to our house in Spain for a week in September, then 3-4 weeks in October by ferry.

But A Swedish Family Living in France have booked a couple of weeks in our villa in October. So re-planned for flights and three weeks in September.

I am thinking of cancelling all our Brittany Ferries Sailings that we have. I have had 7 months of trying to resolve booking issues and refunds with them. I also really dislike the Galicia ferry that will be the main vessel for winter.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We're in Spain (we live in Murcia) travelling in the north atm. Just left Galicia where only one place we used wanted a Covid Certificate. We're presently in Asturias and went into a restaurant yesterday with no certificate checks.
Yes I meant to say last week that by all accounts Galicia was the only region left that required certificates for entry & the courts outlawed it about 10 days ago .so nowhere can ask for certs for entry now.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Booked Newhaven Dieppe on 8th September so Lennie can buy us a pint in the pub near the port in the evening on 7th :)

Then 3 weeks in France, 3 weeks in Sardinia, and 3 weeks in Spain before returning to Old Blighty via St Malo.

That’s the plan, leaving home on 6th and clutching our laminated Scottish vaccination certificates without the QR code, allegedly required for domestic activities in France.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We are crossing to France on tbe 26th and hoping that Italy rescinds its requirement to isolate or transit in 36 hours on the 30th as we fancy a day or two there before we cross to Igoumenitsa...
We’re on the 0545 tunnel tomorrow. Ferry from Ancona is 2nd so keeping 🤞we don’t need a test to get into Italy after 30th.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just the damp check on the van in Belgium from the 17th to 27th Sept., as we are haing some building work done on the house and want finished before we go.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We have only been asked once for our vaccination certificates in France at an ice cream shop.... sitting out side! In Spain now, EVERBODY wearing face masks inside and out, no vaccintion certificates asked for. Note: we had to provide vaccination evidence before booking the chunnel.
Been in France 4 days now. Been to 3 bars and been asked for proof of vaccinations at two of them. We also visited 3 municipal swimming pools attached to sites and each one asked for proof again.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Not all of the the USA is bad, but most of it is odd, in some places very odd indeed.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the Americans are the same as the British but with a funny accent.

The British have a lot more in common with the rest of Europe and much of the the Old World than they do with many parts of the New World, particularly the USA!

When you apply for a US visa, in most cases you have to turn up in person at the Embassy, if the 20 something very straight Mormon on his first overseas posting sitting behind the counter does not like the look of you, you won't be getting the Visa.
Agree with you the east and west coast tends to be ‘sane’ the bit in the middle and south has interesting characters with odd views such as looking at Europe (including the U.K.) as dark lands ( eg non believers) with Loos morals.

I did see an American pamphlet for sales people with regards to doing business in Canada ‘they sound like us but have views in common with our british cousins’

it’s a strange and wonderful world….

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I have noted on many threads over the previous months that September has been mentioned as the time to flee our shores for Spain, Portugal, France etc. Are people still in the same frame of mind. We are on the boat at the start of September to Spain then onto Portugal. Strangely feeling a little nervous. Both vaccinated so unsure why. Are you still going?
I have noted on many threads over the previous months that September has been mentioned as the time to flee our shores for Spain, Portugal, France etc. Are people still in the same frame of mind. We are on the boat at the start of September to Spain then onto Portugal. Strangely feeling a little nervous. Both vaccinated so unsure why. Are you still going?
We are in luz Portugal right now and have never felt safer ,I have no idea of facts and figures but we have been out every day and just about everyone wears a mask when moving about but takes it of in restaurant and bars . Rather be here than at home 👍

OP
OP
TM59

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
We are in luz Portugal right now and have never felt safer ,I have no idea of facts and figures but we have been out every day and just about everyone wears a mask when moving about but takes it of in restaurant and bars . Rather be here than at home 👍
On the boat to Bilbao next Friday. Visiting friends in Almeria then onto Cabanas/Tavira in Portugal. Have you been on any of the sites and if so are they busy?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Been in France 4 days now. Been to 3 bars and been asked for proof of vaccinations at two of them. We also visited 3 municipal swimming pools attached to sites and each one asked for proof again.
Even in our rural area I have been asked for vaccination proof in every cafe and restaurant even when having a coffee outside . The owner of the cafe in our small local village was fined 135€ because she wasn’t wearing a mask when they visited .

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
On the boat to Bilbao next Friday. Visiting friends in Almeria then onto Cabanas/Tavira in Portugal. Have you been on any of the sites and if so are they busy?
Sorry not been on those sites . We are on turiscampo and it is nearly full but we are assured by the locals that from sept it will start to quieten off as the kids go back to school this week . Have a great holiday 👍

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
With regards to the Brits there is no sign of any big september exit. Been in France a week and seen two Brits. However there are signs of a really big exit from the Dutch. Presently on Le Soleil Fruite site south of Lyon, 3 miles from the main motorway. Arrived at site around 11:30am by 1pm it was full . All Dutch and all look like they are heading to the Med.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
With regards to the Brits there is no sign of any big september exit. Been in France a week and seen two Brits. However there are signs of a really big exit from the Dutch. Presently on Le Soleil Fruite site south of Lyon, 3 miles from the main motorway. Arrived at site around 11:30am by 1pm it was full . All Dutch and all look like they are heading to the Med.
Could it be to do with the Dutch are mainland Europe and also not restricted to 90/180 and boarder restrictions What do they need to do when returning home etc in terms of testing and isolation if the Covid numbers ramp up again.

Edited to say we decided early this year not to travel to europe until at least next year and I think there are quite a number of people who have also made that decision.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Er, it’s not September yet 😉

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
As the ship is not British Flagged, you effectively enter the EU 12 miles off Portsmouth.

One flat tyre, or ship delay due to weather or a tummy bug could see you banned from the entire EU for the next 3 years, I'd be inclined to move your return date back by a week and aim for 80-85 days.
BUT they don't stamp your Passport until you Arrive, it's not the Chunnel...and your not me, I'm a Rebel :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Weve been in France 3 days seen just one Brit. Loads of Dutch mostly French though. I suspect most places a fair bit quieter than usual. We're avoiding busy areas but overall the French seem to be taking it more seriously than in the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back