Big September Exit (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I booked the tunnel for 1st of September, we'll be going straight to Benidorm! No visiting boring places on the way🥱 😎 no monasteries, no castles, no countryside, cheeses, vines, farms or any other crap along the way 😆 it's not about the journey.. But the Destination 🌞⛱️🍺🎸😍

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
We too have decided not to go this year, to much still going on. Will have to wait till next near when hopefully things will have improved or not. Will keep having to booking sites in UK this year ( which we never usually do). Usually just go when the weather is right, having said that we have had no problem with sites or staff wherever we have been) and we have been lucky with the weather too, having had all the early months since April 12 of sunshine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
MOT ticked off my list of apprehensions, today👍. So that just leaves the pet passport for me to (slightly) worry about. 🙂
We're booking the Tunnel for Sat 4th Sept. We always like to make Sunday a good driving day in France.
Getting excited just following this thread.🤩
It seems an age since we last were on the Continent!

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
We are currently in Spain. Where is everybody??? We must be the "Billy no mates" as no GB tourers seen. It was the same in France. I must say though that the motorhome stopover sites are full of Staycation French and Spanish outfits. Come on down the weather is lovely!!

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Thanks, I will look into that (y) . Any other tips for the region?
We stop on the aire at the rear of the big church never had a problem. Walk into town. We stop on our return from the south. There is a train ride that explains about the champagne houses very interesting . Also we always partake in a bottle of fizz on the avenue.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
We stop on the aire at the rear of the big church never had a problem. Walk into town. We stop on our return from the south. There is a train ride that explains about the champagne houses very interesting . Also we always partake in a bottle of fizz on the avenue.
For information there is a brand new aire with water, waste and electricity just a couple of streets away from the old one. Not free though.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Booked on Portsmouth - Santander Dec 2nd, Return March 2nd...
2 Nights Outbound so OK for 90 Days...
As the ship is not British Flagged, you effectively enter the EU 12 miles off Portsmouth.

One flat tyre, or ship delay due to weather or a tummy bug could see you banned from the entire EU for the next 3 years, I'd be inclined to move your return date back by a week and aim for 80-85 days.

Apr 27, 2018
Funster No
Been in France for a week, aiming to return end of Sept. We usually keep away from large places and crowds so the biggest risk was the ferry from Portsmouth. It was almost deserted so plenty of space on board, plenty of sea air and very frequent cleaning of the facilities.
We are both double vaxxed of course. Biggest risk I see is if France goes red. If so we either rush to beat the deadline or just stay longer. The 90 day limit imposed by my fellow countrymen might be a problem but we'll just play it by ear if France does go red.
Cliff

Apr 27, 2018
Funster No
Forgot to say: not seen a single other British van since we've been here. Plenty of space in the aires. Can't comment on Spain and Portugal as France is our thing.
Cliff

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
As the ship is not British Flagged, you effectively enter the EU 12 miles off Portsmouth.

One flat tyre, or ship delay due to weather or a tummy bug could see you banned from the entire EU for the next 3 years, I'd be inclined to move your return date back by a week and aim for 80-85 days.
I’m guessing you are having a laugh or you look for problems? If you’re serious what about a broken leg? Six weeks in plaster. Perhaps that should be taken into consideration? We could speculate that things will go wrong for ever. Or we could just look on the positive side that you and the vehicle will perform as you usually do, the ferry will run as it usually does and try not to look for things to spoil your trip.
Some of us go through life thinking we’ll be fine. Others seem to look for things to go wrong.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I’m guessing you are having a laugh or you look for problems? If you’re serious what about a broken leg? Six weeks in plaster. Perhaps that should be taken into consideration? We could speculate that things will go wrong for ever. Or we could just look on the positive side that you and the vehicle will perform as you usually do, the ferry will run as it usually does and try not to look for things to spoil your trip.
Some of us go through life thinking we’ll be fine. Others seem to look for things to go wrong.
Not at all.

I'm expecting that at some point, UK passport holders "taking the piss" by taking their allowance right up to the last few hours of the 90 day limit will start to get stern written warnings.

You try doing this in other countries like the USA, Switzerland or Singapore today and see what happens, there is no reason to think EU countries have any reason to behave any differently.
UK passport holders in the EU may get a stay of execution for now, but that state of affairs will not last long.

Those that overstay the 90 days will pay penalties and can expect to be blocked from re-entry for a long period of time.

Over the years I've had many multi-month visas for a number of countries,
I've never dared take them even close to the maximum limit as I can tell you too many first hand accounts of those that have.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Not at all.

I'm expecting that at some point, UK passport holders "taking the piss" by taking their allowance right up to the last few hours of the 90 day limit will start to get stern written warnings.

You try doing this in other countries like the USA, Switzerland or Singapore today and see what happens, there is no reason to think EU countries have any reason to behave any differently.
UK passport holders in the EU may get a stay of execution for now, but that state of affairs will not last long.

Those that overstay the 90 days will pay penalties and can expect to be blocked from re-entry for a long period of time.

I've never dared take them even close to the maximum limit as I can tell you too many first hand accounts of those that have.
There are always people who will take things right to the edge, you see it all the time people missing flights or a train etc then bemoan and get angry as 'its not fair' so for those who do take thing it the edge if they find that they for whatever 'unfair' reason they are penalised and in this case as you point out have had a flat tyre or other delay they will just have to accept thier part in the following issues caused.

I was flying back from the US at one time and found that I had missed check in (I thought I was flying back the following day but that was when I was due to land!, fortunately there had been a bomb scare all the flights had been delayed and a re-check in time was posted........was I lucky or what.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
V
Not at all.

so are you always going to return at least six weeks before you need to? You could break your leg and be stuck there for six weeks in plaster. What if god forbid you had an accident and had to be in hospital for three months? Perhaps best, just to be absolutely sure you won’t stay over The ninety days that you don’t go at all.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
V

so are you always going to return at least six weeks before you need to? You could break your leg and be stuck there for six weeks in plaster. What if god forbid you had an accident and had to be in hospital for three months? Perhaps best, just to be absolutely sure you won’t stay over The ninety days that you don’t go at all.
I think its more about people who push their time/luck its not about a genuine illness or accident, having had an accident in America I can tell you make sure you have insurance (lots of it) they will hunt you down, I had given my insurance details and they were happy with I just assumed they put the claim in and then they were paid....apparently not there was a procedure I had to follow despite notifying the insurance company of the claim, although I had to chuckle when the local hospital couldn't work out how to send a fax to the UK and had to explain Dial +44 and drop the 0. If you cant pay they will come for your house and any assets you may have. I suspect that if I had stayed longer in the US than anticipated there would have been even more forms to fill out before I retuned.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Depends where you get your stats from.
According to European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control

the case rate in Spain is the highest in the EU at 603 cases per 100,000 population, twice the UK rate according to the UK government website.​

(Aplogies for the bold print, it's got a mind of its own)

Yes it depends where you look. spanish gov .site is 416 for Monday & Today ,is 360
There is a danger I guess that those returning may need to isolate again on return if numbers increase here and elsewhere in Europe.
It is all guesswork.
I can't see the point of having them then if they get funny about people maxxing them?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
V

No need to return 6 weeks early.
Returning 6 days early (after 3 months away) is not unreasonable, it allows for minor slippage.
Returning with 6 hours remaining on your visa would be seen as "taking the piss" in a number of countries, particularly the USA.

One example (I have others)
I had a former work colleague who tried to leave the USA on the day his visa expired, and ended up being deported and put on the next flight to the UK, which was the flight he was booked onto anyway.

The two outcomes were he was banned from ever returning to the USA and once he arrived in Heathrow, as he had a South African passport, he was refused entry to the UK and was immediately turned around and put on the next flight to Cape Town.

To get back to the UK, where his job, flat and girlfriend all were, he had to "loose" his passport and apply for another one, so as not to get the 'Deported' stamps in his passport. Months later it got him back into the UK, but he can never return to the USA.

Last edited:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
No need to return 6 weeks early.
Returning 6 days early (after 3 months away) is not unreasonable, it allows for minor slippage.
Returning with 6 hours remaining on your visa would be seen as "taking the piss" in a number of countries, particularly the USA.

One example (I have others)
I had a former work colleague who tried to leave the USA on the day his visa expired, and ended up being deported and put on the next flight to the UK, which was the flight he was booked onto anyway.

The two outcomes were he was banned from ever returning to the USA and once he arrived in Heathrow, as he had a South African passport, he was refused entry to the UK and was immediately turned around and put on the next flight to Cape Town.

To get back to the UK, where his job, flat and girlfriend all were, he had to "loose" his passport and apply for another one, so as not to get the 'Deported' stamps in his passport. Months later it got him back into the UK, but he can never return to the USA.
What if you break your leg in those last six days?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
What if you break your leg in those last six days?

Then at least you have a doctors note which means there is a valid reason for your overstay.

If however you miss your return ferry by 20 minutes because of heavy traffic, they are liable to take a very dim view of you cutting it so fine.

I'm sure that over the next few years we will all hear multiple stories of UK passport holders being banned from EU re-entry for one misdemeanor or another.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
but he can never return to the USA.
I'd call that a result.
Why? If they are that peculiar then my mate,who advised me not to bother going as I wouldn't get in, was right?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'd call that a result.

Why? If they are that peculiar then my mate,who advised me not to bother going as I wouldn't get in, was right?

Not all of the the USA is bad, but most of it is odd, in some places very odd indeed.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the Americans are the same as the British but with a funny accent.

The British have a lot more in common with the rest of Europe and much of the the Old World than they do with many parts of the New World, particularly the USA!

When you apply for a US visa, in most cases you have to turn up in person at the Embassy, if the 20 something very straight Mormon on his first overseas posting sitting behind the counter does not like the look of you, you won't be getting the Visa.

OP
OP
TM59

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
We are currently in Spain. Where is everybody??? We must be the "Billy no mates" as no GB tourers seen. It was the same in France. I must say though that the motorhome stopover sites are full of Staycation French and Spanish outfits. Come on down the weather is lovely!!
Can you please tell me if you are being asked for proof of vaccination when entering bars restaurants and cafes.

Leisure man

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
I have noted on many threads over the previous months that September has been mentioned as the time to flee our shores for Spain, Portugal, France etc. Are people still in the same frame of mind. We are on the boat at the start of September to Spain then onto Portugal. Strangely feeling a little nervous. Both vaccinated so unsure why. Are you still going?
Re Covid vaccination confirmation certificate. Is a print off of the downloadable PDF certificate as good as the paper version you can request?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Can you please tell me if you are being asked for proof of vaccination when entering bars restaurants and cafes.

We're in Spain (we live in Murcia) travelling in the north atm. Just left Galicia where only one place we used wanted a Covid Certificate. We're presently in Asturias and went into a restaurant yesterday with no certificate checks.

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
Tunnel sept 5th drive through France, Spain to our flat in Portugal go off for a few days at a time Lisbon etc will stay till moto gp in Algarve then ferry to Portsmouth 10 Nov unless lockdown then stay at flat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back