BFG Tyres - Are they bigger than non AT tyres? (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Used BFGs on my Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 and got 52500 miles out of them before I sold the car, they still had 3.5 mm of tread. I was told that if you modify your driving, ie. don’t accelerate hard, check pressures regularly and if you do go off road, make sure you clear any stones out of tread to stop damage to tyre.

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
A bit late into this post and maybe not related but my last Discovery was run on Cooper ST tyres. They were recommended by a relative in Australia. They were might be a bit too aggressive for motorhomes and were a bit noisy on fast runs.
When I bought them they were cheaper than BFG tyres. They also sold a slightly less aggressive tyre. If I was thinking of more aggressive tyres for our motorhome I would check what they offered.
Good idea, will look at other AT tyres. Thanks.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Probably not all the tyres fault. Sevel van. wet grass, the slightest incline. Coupled with most weight of the motorhome over the back axle or behind it. = legendary wheel spin. It's a poor combination, swap tyres with that tractor and you'll still struggle.
Even worse on tag axles as witnessed last week on a grassy field, fronts trying to pull 4 rears, no chance without additional assistance.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Even worse on tag axles as witnessed last week on a grassy field, fronts trying to pull 4 rears, no chance without additional assistance.
LES

Most tag axle Fiats Ive owned, even on a good road, with a bit of a hill you can get a fag paper between the drive wheel tyres and the road :D

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
749C083B-DAEF-4449-9116-934E0008B2C4.jpeg

Off camping on some grass this weekend so will give them a proper test. They are very sticky even just to touch them, and my local tyre fitting place recon they will be great from what they know. £20 cash for fitting them so very happy so far.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
View attachment 500844
Off camping on some grass this weekend so will give them a proper test. They are very sticky even just to touch them, and my local tyre fitting place recon they will be great from what they know. £20 cash for fitting them so very happy so far.
They look chunky and have the water clearing structure of road tyres. I will be interested to hear how they perform.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes. I wanted chunky and try to get away from straight lines along the tyre as that will make them poor on grass, but also wanted something that would work well on road. Getting stuck on a pitch is really annoying, but crashing on the road is a lot worse. Van tyres are designed to be cheap, and do mega mileage, and that is something I wasn’t interested in. I want soft and grippy. I’m happy to get 4 or 5 years from a set of tyres with a rotation on the van half way through.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
View attachment 500844
Please let us know how you get on, noise and grip etc.

Where did you find the best deal?
Geoff

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
UPDATE:

View attachment 500409
VanCo Camper tyres are useless!!!!

Couldn't get in very well and definitely couldn't get out this morning. Luckily farmer had a decent 4x4;)

So folks, please help me. Which tyres would have helped me. Or am I expecting too much?

Conti 4season, Michelin CrossClimates or BFG ATs?

Thanks.

With the amount of rain in the UK through May, it's possible to get stuck anywhere. We were at Lyndon Top over the weekend (Rutland Water) and the van sunk 3 inches into the ground. But then our friends did seem to choose the only dipped area in the field. But ours also has Vanco Campers and they seem to struggle on even flat grass that might have underlying softness.

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
View attachment 500844
How did these prove? Listed as winter tyres but then when we consider the low mileage MH's cover that is not a major factor. Although I wonder how quickly they would deteriorate through hotter weather?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
How did these prove? Listed as winter tyres but then when we consider the low mileage MH's cover that is not a major factor. Although I wonder how quickly they would deteriorate through hotter weather?
Absolutely fantastic. Massive improvement on the roads even the concrete bit of the M25. Had a grass pitch and had to move about a far bit as the site manager was sooo “helpfull” in giving directions to how we should be parked. No wheel spin, all good as gold, even when leaving after a few days causing definite recess in the ground where we had been.

I wanted winter tyres as van tyres are designed to be cheap and last loads of miles. Neither things I wanted. They feel sticky and rubber like, the Michelins felt like plastic, and that was the words of the tyre fitter.

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Nice, a pity they don't make them in 225/75/R16's. Our Vanco Campers are 2017(2) and 2018 (2) and in very good condition. Perhaps next year.

Last edited:

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Our Vanco Campers still have a fair bit of life so would be wasteful chucking them away. Might look at prices with Costco.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
View attachment 500844
Landy andy, how are the tyres going? Assuming youve had a good run out since getting them!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Landy andy, how are the tyres going? Assuming youve had a good run out since getting them!
Absolutely bloody brilliant. Love them can’t fault them. Apart from, I notice the difference due to size change but apart from that, rain, floods, sand, mud, wet grass, emergency braking all fantastic.

ohhh. And really notice the softer ride. 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Thats good news , my current tyres are dated end of 2015 and I’m having a debate with myself about changing them or not. They are standard van tyres , probly original fit pre conversion with only 19000 miles good tread no signs of tyrewall cracks , but they do feel a bit hard
Size change? Did you go bigger or smaller?

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
The more reading I'm doing about BFG's in forums around the world, a bigger picture is emerging. It seems plenty are reporting the BFGs are not as long lasting as they used to be. Where they would easily get 50k out of them, people are reporting they are getting only 30. At the same time several people are saying they are OK in the wet.

Have they made them a little softer, so they are not lasting as long but are better on the road? I have some new ones on my Lanny, I will give them a test sometime this week and report back. Trouble is, in my experience its when they are 10-20k in and a couple of years old they are the most useless on wet roads
Hi Jim - out of interest - now you've had your latest set on the LR for a couple of years, how are they holding up? Any different than previous sets you've used?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back