BFG Tyres - Are they bigger than non AT tyres? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
UPDATE:

Stuck 2.jpg

VanCo Camper tyres are useless!!!!

Couldn't get in very well and definitely couldn't get out this morning. Luckily farmer had a decent 4x4;)

So folks, please help me. Which tyres would have helped me. Or am I expecting too much?

Conti 4season, Michelin CrossClimates or BFG ATs?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Stuck 1.jpg
    Stuck 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Literally just back from having my new ones fitted.

23DCAB37-6E94-4487-9201-4652000DA7BF.jpeg
522E2698-B477-4390-B198-8252B993A1EA.jpeg
0F2EAADE-AD54-47E6-BC00-FA3E241131D4.jpeg

Out of what you’ve listed the BFG AT’s would have been best on the grass, but not necessarily for the rest of the journey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
No such thing unfortunately. I’ve run the BFG AT‘s on a Discovery and wasn’t overly impressed by them and certainly not the best on wet tarmac. And that’s from someone who is used to driving everyday on mud tyres.
2AC16A1B-65F7-4C62-9948-17B0BA2D9331.jpeg

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
No such thing unfortunately. I’ve run the BFG AT‘s on a Discovery and wasn’t overly impressed by them and certainly not the best on wet tarmac. And that’s from someone who is used to driving everyday on mud tyres.
View attachment 500421
Loving the driver :)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Surely it is not what looks good that is important but what is safest. For me getting stuck on the occasional pitch comes second to being safe on the road. Getting towed off won’t kill me but sliding into a tree might.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Surely it is not what looks good that is important but what is safest. For me getting stuck on the occasional pitch comes second to being safe on the road. Getting towed off won’t kill me but sliding into a tree might.
I realise that. My observation was based on the apparently suitable tread for grip. My tyres are similar to the old tyres in the photos and on soft ground the grooves immediately fill up with mud/grass etc, rendering the tyre useless for gaining any grip. Those new tyres in the photos have more of a block tread which should give more traction. I would look at other data for the tyres when I know exactly what they are.

Geoff

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Very true, but I don't think any tyre manufacturer would make tyres that are "unsafe". Some tyres suit certain driving types I suspect. The BFGs I have on my VW camper feel WWWWAAAAYYYY more secure on the road that the pathetic Vanco ones on my motorhome. What I am trying to ascertain is if this is due to the tyres or the vehicle they are on. No conclusive evidence either way at this point.

Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Thanks for that.
And you find the handling okay?

I use the van almost daily, handles well. Not had any bad experiences in the wet, not been stuck in a muddy field - so far so good. I would say that it uses 0.5 to 1L more fuel per 100 km more than normal.

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
I use the van almost daily, handles well. Not had any bad experiences in the wet, not been stuck in a muddy field - so far so good. I would say that it uses 0.5 to 1L more fuel per 100 km more than normal.
Thanks for that. Not too worried about the fuel. (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The more reading I'm doing about BFG's in forums around the world, a bigger picture is emerging. It seems plenty are reporting the BFGs are not as long lasting as they used to be. Where they would easily get 50k out of them, people are reporting they are getting only 30. At the same time several people are saying they are OK in the wet.

Have they made them a little softer, so they are not lasting as long but are better on the road? I have some new ones on my Lanny, I will give them a test sometime this week and report back. Trouble is, in my experience its when they are 10-20k in and a couple of years old they are the most useless on wet roads

Dec 8, 2020
Germany
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free 600 C
Exp
Newb to #Camperlife
Just to add, I paid €540 for 4 tyres where as the Michelin Agilis Camping cost almost double - Reason I changed the tyres apart from the look was the fact that the Agilis don't have a snow flake on which is required by law here in Germany.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They are good value. I just paid £116 each including fitting. That's a lot of rubber for little money (y)

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
The more reading I'm doing about BFG's in forums around the world, a bigger picture is emerging. It seems plenty are reporting the BFGs are not as long lasting as they used to be. Where they would easily get 50k out of them, people are reporting they are getting only 30. At the same time several people are saying they are OK in the wet.

Have they made them a little softer, so they are not lasting as long but are better on the road? I have some new ones on my Lanny, I will give them a test sometime this week and report back. Trouble is, in my experience its when they are 10-20k in and a couple of years old they are the most useless on wet roads
Thanks Jim,

It is interesting. Their wet rating is B, which cant be that bad......

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
VanCo Camper tyres are useless!!!!

Probably not all the tyres fault. Sevel van. wet grass, the slightest incline. Coupled with most weight of the motorhome over the back axle or behind it. = legendary wheel spin. It's a poor combination, swap tyres with that tractor and you'll still struggle.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968

You may have something there Jim as the current BFG AT are "3PMSF" marked which they didn't used to be .

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
A bit late into this post and maybe not related but my last Discovery was run on Cooper ST tyres. They were recommended by a relative in Australia. They were might be a bit too aggressive for motorhomes and were a bit noisy on fast runs.
When I bought them they were cheaper than BFG tyres. They also sold a slightly less aggressive tyre. If I was thinking of more aggressive tyres for our motorhome I would check what they offered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back