Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
He did work for a welding company . Yes he did sadly have family.. Can't remember how he bought and paid for his bike though. It was a black Honda Fireblade...

It's what... 16 17 years ago now ..
my brother worked with guy,i remember it well.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
my brother worked with guy,i remember it well.

Was a bloody awful day and one I won't forget for all the wrong reasons... Just before the accident happened we were all in the Cafe at Bridgenorth and the lad had his shirt off showing us the horrendous scars he had from the previous incident. Course we were all taking the mick and having a laugh. Never dreaming what was to happen less than half an hour later...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So even if you do Dover to Dunkirk you would still have to pass the migrants if you are heading South past Calais ,
Not if you go straight on at Abbeville down D928 all way to St.Omar then continue onD928 & fork right on D300. Comes out at roundabout for Dunkerque port slip road & straight across in to port. Coming out of port just straight across at dual carriageway. Also going in this way you can get your pet done at the vets in Hesdin next to Lidl's :xThumb: & they speak English:xgrin:
I tought it would be a nice scenic route in to Dunkerque. Unfortunately it was endless lorries.:xsad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
There appears to be a lot more activity with the 'Migrants' than is being reported in the media. French Police had water cannon and riot Police in a attempt to clear the Jungle..
(Several clips available.) Reading between the lines the French do appear at long last to making some effort to get to grips with the situation. There is talk of detention for up to 18monts to assess the terrorists risks with these people. Going out does not seem to be a problem in the mornings. but the return trip could be a different issue.
Does appear that the Syrian Air Attacks have taken priority in Media reporting. I have to say I will leave my return options open on my next trip after Christmas.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thirteen lorries were targeted by migrants in Calais on Tuesday night

Thirteen lorries were hit with rocks, some having their windscreens smashed, as they approached the port on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-34997719

Well that's quite a clear report. I know I was sceptical about the report that started this thread I was trying to be unbiased, but this BBC. Report of 13 lorries being attached is disturbing. I doubt even those who would claim reports of vehicles being attacked are exaggerated will deny the truth of it.

Won't stop me travelling though I am still confident the risk to Motorhomes is acceptable provided a dsylight boking is made.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well that's quite a clear report. I know I was sceptical about the report that started this thread I was trying to be unbiased, but this BBC. Report of 13 lorries being attached is disturbing. I doubt even those who would claim reports of vehicles being attacked are exaggerated will deny the truth of it.

Won't stop me travelling though I am still confident the risk to Motorhomes is acceptable provided a dsylight boking is made.
I will be crossing over around midnight and will provide an update after I cross and obtain WiFi connection. Like you, this does not deter me from doing what I want.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
In fairness you're not going to have any problems leaving the UK .... we saw lots of them late on Sunday night towards the Belgian border. Were back early tomorrow and don't expect any issues.
But there's no doubt these people exist and are desperate to get to the UK. Desperate enough to hurt people and break as many laws as they want. It's not going to deter us . . But they exist and are supported by the "do gooders" in the camps. Avoiding them is a matter of luck it seems . Presently the trucks are taking the heat.. but what happens when the trucks become too difficult.
We have see gangs of these people marauding at night.. or sitting on roundabouts or under bridges. I feel uneasy seeing them and in fact we started to call them "walking dead" .. because thats what they remind us of .

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
[QUOTE="sdc77, post: 1655915,
Presently the trucks are taking the heat.. but what happens when the trucks become too difficult.
We have see gangs of these people marauding at night.. or sitting on roundabouts or under bridges. I feel uneasy seeing them and in fact we started to call them "walking dead" .. because thats what they remind us of .[/QUOTE]
I think it's a no brainier. If they were to target motorhomes then overnight you would see them all (Well, vast majority) move to another ferry port, i.e.. Dunkerque or Dieppe without to much additional hassle. This would put added pressure on the port authorities in Calais to take this up with French authorities which according to a recent P & O letter posted on here has already been actioned with additional police now patrolling motorway.
The migrants who are causing this damage to HGV fleets are, in my view putting more pressure on the French goverment to take decisive action to control their behaviour once and for all and I would not be surprised if a plan is being developed right now to move them, lock stock and barrel away from ferry ports.

OP
OP
Wickolad

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
No doubt the story is true, but it is a HGV not a motorhome. No doubt someone will say "BUT it could have been a motorhome", but it's NOT. No doubt someone will say "DO NOT travel via Eurotunnel it's not safe".
No doubt there will aways be scare mongering, but that is all it is.
Thousands of vehicles travel every day via Calais, many being motorhomes and how many have a problem? a few...........
Enjoy your travels and do not be put off by a few scare mongering reports.

You could aways park your motorhome on the drive and enjoy it from there..................
There seems to be a couple of you on here, You and "Slugemental" in particular that seem to want twist the post and belittle the OP.
Oh Please!, this incident was posted in order to alert funsters to a particular problem and to be vigilant and cautious when passing under bridges not just Calais but also here in the UK offering a simple solution to pass under a bridge in the lane furthest from a standing person(s).
No where does it say stay away from Calais and leave your van at home. It was purely a word of caution to funsters.
"Not intended" to "scare monger" as said in the Post but as usual a few on here choose to pick those words and try to make me feel as I am actually doing just that. Just take the words to use caution at bridges for what they were intended and stop trying to be superior @rseholes. Because it's becoming boring seeing the same members time and time again putting up condescending digs at OP posts.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
There seems to be a couple of you on here, You and "Slugemental" in particular that seem to want twist the post and belittle the OP.
Oh Please!, this incident was posted in order to alert funsters to a particular problem and to be vigilant and cautious when passing under bridges not just Calais but also here in the UK offering a simple solution to pass under a bridge in the lane furthest from a standing person(s).
No where does it say stay away from Calais and leave your van at home. It was purely a word of caution to funsters.
"Not intended" to "scare monger" as said in the Post but as usual a few on here choose to pick those words and try to make me feel as I am actually doing just that. Just take the words to use caution at bridges for what they were intended and stop trying to be superior @rseholes. Because it's becoming boring seeing the same members time and time again putting up condescending digs at OP posts.

I think your post was well intentioned and meant to be informative. I, as I said, I took the information in it with a pinch of salt but later in light of further posts came to accept if as very credible, and said so, (not in those terms, I used the word "evidence") I am often sceptical about such reports because as it seems to me that sometimes people have their own agenda, one way or the other, personal or political, for either rubbishing them or dismissing them out of hand and I don't think that's fair and I think some of the bravado espoused in some posts borders on the pathetic.

The press reports we have seen, particularly in some papers have no doubt been sensationalised. Never the less there is no doubt in my mind that some migrants do use violence and intimidation to try to get into the UK and seeing gangs of 20/30 or more trying to get in lories does not support the view that its small momuority.

I met a lady at Gravelins a couple of months ago who was returning to the UK she was very concerned about migrant problems, she was frightened for her safety to the extent that she wanted to know if we were staying overnight and could they park close to us for safety in numbers. So for some fear is tangible, if perhaps overdone. I think there is a possibility, albeit not a great one, that any of us in motorhomes including some of those who say there is no problem, could become a victim of these desperate people.

I was under the impression that this forum was intended for the exchange of information and ideas which might be of mutual benefit to contributors. Information, such as the OP is a useful tool in assessing the situation as it develops and certainly, having read many posts relating to Calais migrants I have changed by travel times to what I think might be safest.

So, I thank Wickload for the information and hope people are not discouraged from posting similar. It's right that those who don't care for the information or don't think its true/correct should debate it. But is there a need to belittle or be condescending, is that what this place is for. I doubt that very much. "Be Nice"

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Ah diddums..If you want to insult/have a dig, whatever.... spell my name correctly rather then having cheap childish shots and I may see it and have the right of reply? Its surely all about different opinions and yes until I see something similar regarding motorhomes I still think its scaremongering. and you need to look at rule 1

Its bad enough having to contend with a hysterical media blowing everything out of all proportion and many people now avoid Calais, just getting in and out......All we want to do is get away on holiday and not be worried about an infinitesimal risk worrying more gentle people unnecessarily.

Life is to short to bear grudges believe me...

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Im not looking to start an argument here. But degenerating a thread by calling silly childish names is nothing short of stupid.

Whether we agree or not we should have at least considerate respect for each other. Not hard surely ?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Ah diddums..If you want to insult/have a dig, whatever.... spell my name correctly rather then having cheap childish shots and I may see it and have the right of reply? Its surely all about different opinions and yes until I see something similar regarding motorhomes I still think its scaremongering. and you need to look at rule 1

Its bad enough having to contend with a hysterical media blowing everything out of all proportion and many people now avoid Calais, just getting in and out......All we want to do is get away on holiday and not be worried about an infinitesimal risk worrying more gentle people unnecessarily.

I have to agree with this completely.

We have a couple of friends who we were planning a trip to France with in the spring next year. The fella is a bit of nervous type .. We were planning our dates and starting to look forward to the trip. He announced last week the trip is as far as they are concerned off. He says he doesn't think he can protect his wife as he is getting older. He is is 60..... We were heading down the East coast so nowhere near the larger cities . Oh Please! what are the odds !
My wife and I are still going of course. No amount of stupid scaremongering will change that !

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
....All we want to do is get away on holiday and not be worried about an infinitesimal risk

Yes but it is precisely that reason & no one wanting to get involved/complain that we have got to the situation that we now have.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
@Wickolad FIRSTLY: I DID NOT belittle you ( trust me, if I had you would know about it )
What I DID point out was the vehicle was an HGV and NOT a motorhome. Again I stand by my post: thousands of motorhomes use the Eurotunnel every month and how many do we read about ???? 1!
Secondly: like any post on here you/I/them post a topic on here and hope 100% readers will like it and thank you for it!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry to inform you, but thats not the case, worrying people unnecessarily about something that they can make their own minds up about by (a) reading here (b) calling the company they are travelling with before hand (c) travelling as normal and not worrying about it.
At the end of the day members on here will make their own mind up regardless of you/me/us/them are fighting each other.

This is a FOURM: (a meeting or medium or web site where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged and agree or not), a public medium or website used for debates in which anyone can participate using their views...............................

OP
OP
Wickolad

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

What actually got me was you were missing the bigger picture. The post was to warn people to be a little cautious and more vigilant when passing under bridges where people are stood. These things happen in the UK too, but the incident I put up just so happened to be in Calais. If this is a new tactic being used, why not bring it to the attention of road users, including funsters who may be passing through Calais. Forewarned is forearmed is it not? It was a genuine warning to use a bit of caution. What gets my goat is people making flippant comments on posts, when all that is intended is to alert people to be a bit more vigilant.
Maybe you should consider how you reply to a post instead just making little digs. Constructive criticism isn't a problem to me, so had you yourself come across pictures of that particular incident, what would YOU have done about it?
A. Nothing at all Because it doesn't effect you.
B. Nothing and presume everyone knows about this sort of thing.
C. Alert other members of the forum to be a bit more vigilant when passing under bridges. As not everyone knows everything.
As for looking at rule 1, I am fully aware of it. If I reply to a post it is to offer support or advice whenever I can, I do not consider myself a bully, I hate bullies. I also detest persons that put people down for trying to offer genuine advice and I don't understand why someone throws rule 1 into the equation as soon as someone bites back.
I myself wouldn't wish to cause worry or distress to anyone, believe me. Oh and hysterical I am not.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You know what guys I think there are valid points on all sides of this tiff ...

The quality of the person or persons making the arguments or points is the ability to step back shake hands and get along...
I do stand by my wee point above name calling is daft. But come on we are after sharing a common interest and are in a modern silly way kind off mates ?

I try to get on with most people on here Given how clumsy I am with words that aint easy. Given the way some of the combatants here write you are cleverer than me so Oh Please! stop the arguing and resume normal service ?

Some one once pointed out to me that never say anything on the web you would not say in person to someone in the pub............ Mmmmmm

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Well I have 1 good mate & 2 speak to in the pub type mates all continental truckers, they all use Calais. (0ne has a MH) They have all told me things to watch out for & what not to do. But I wont be posting them on here just to be shot down.

OP
OP
Wickolad

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You know what guys I think there are valid points on all sides of this tiff ...

The quality of the person or persons making the arguments or points is the ability to step back shake hands and get along...
I do stand by my wee point above name calling is daft. But come on we are after sharing a common interest and are in a modern silly way kind off mates ?

I try to get on with most people on here Given how clumsy I am with words that aint easy. Given the way some of the combatants here write you are cleverer than me so Oh Please! stop the arguing and resume normal service ?

Some one once pointed out to me that never say anything on the web you would not say in person to someone in the pub............ Mmmmmm

Thank you for that, I actually agree with you wholeheartedly.
So, I do apologise to any person on here that I may have offended, upset, or even unintentionally put off enjoying your travels.
I agree some of my retorts fell well short of mature. So the olive branch is out there with the holly and mistletoe.
Just enjoy your travels and stay safe.
I shall not be adding anything else to this thread.
Lance x:-)

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
He did work for a welding company . Yes he did sadly have family.. Can't remember how he bought and paid for his bike though. It was a black Honda Fireblade...

It's what... 16 17 years ago now ..
spoke to my brother last night was the guys name steve shamwell,and worked for a company call malvin reoberry.

Last edited:

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Enword Please PM me with what to watch out for;)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well I have 1 good mate & 2 speak to in the pub type mates all continental truckers, they all use Calais. (0ne has a MH) They have all told me things to watch out for & what not to do. But I wont be posting them on here just to be shot down.

Stick it where it belongs on a truck forum? Unless motorhome related. ..just a thought

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

If Im honest we avoided Calais this year due to the hassle that went or could have gone with it.. But in no way was this through fear or worry. It was simply because it was our first ever trip over the water and both of us wanted a pain free trip. I listened to much advice here on the forum and armed with that we did in fact have a brilliant first experience which has inspired the pair of us to get over the water again ASAP !

I completely agree awareness is essential and I completely agree that letting it affect what we do or in this case Not letting it affect what we do is also essential.

Gung Ho head says fark em I doing what I want and that's that. But I we have responsibilities and my first one is to look after the gaffer of the kitchen. So whilst the threat of some turd throwing something from a bridge aint stopping us its worth just being that bit more aware . The chances of it happening are of course are very small. Keeping the eyes just that bit open just that bit wider cant hurt though eh ?

Anyway I'm a crap cook ! :D:D

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Yes mate bang on.....
you probably know my brother as he is a welder fabricator ,roofer worked for malvin roeberry for years.
his first name is phil and lives in bicester.
wont give out his surname for obvious reasons.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Stick it where it belongs on a truck forum? Unless motorhome related. ..just a thought

Whether we drive a truck or a motor home we drive the same roads ?

I actually fee; for the truck drivers. We after all have a choice where we cross the water. In most cases the truck drivers don't. We go once in a blue moon some of the shuttle drivers go daily. All creates a positive or negative risk ?
Plus if a truck driver gets a stow away on board he and/or his company can end up with bloody great fines. We don't.

Whether the accounts we hear about the scallys throwing stones rocks and whatever are exaggerated or not there is no doubt it happens. Not exactly a brilliant working environment is it ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back