Best WiFi Booster (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
So, which is the best one to get? There seem to be several options on the market at the moment.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Watching with interest as we are going to the nec in Feb and we’re looking at motorhome Wi-fi I boost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I've had a cheap and cheerful Chinese eBay special with directional external antenna pulled in signal very well £17.
And using an Alpha router. For hot spot.

Also on present van
USB RPT-3000A: Solwise USB WiFi Router/Repeater and a choice of antennas £100

And a spare similar to above

All work equally as well when needed .

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I hear that some sites, Bonterra Park for example, visually identify MH's with boosters on windows and the like and promptly disconnect the paid for WiFi as you are deemed to be using more than one device on the account. So covert use and maybe consider a permanent solution on the roof which is more difficult to identify. I have a my own bespoke solution so cannot give appropriate advice in regards to hardware.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I've had a cheap and cheerful Chinese eBay special with directional external antenna pulled in signal very well £17.
Same set up here which I mainly use internally, plus a Solwise 9dbi USB Omnidirectional antenna, which I use externally (but less discreet). However, because I am surrounded by closed and secure subscription signals here at Benidorm, I am using my Three 12Gb /12 month sim card (3G only) soon to be replaced by a 24Gb/24 month year sim card. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Same here and have done a direct comparison with an iboost & guess which one worked better :ROFLMAO:
Although you need to know what you are doing with the cheaper system, a bit daunting to anyone who is completely non technical.

We rarely use ours these days with data being so cheap, using a data on your phone or Mifi is so much simpler.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I hear that some sites, Bonterra Park for example, visually identify MH's with boosters on windows and the like and promptly disconnect the paid for WiFi as you are deemed to be using more than one device on the account. So covert use and maybe consider a permanent solution on the roof which is more difficult to identify. I have a my own bespoke solution so cannot give appropriate advice in regards to hardware.

Thats where the spare antenna comes in handy ,on a stand I made up ,open roof light sit it on roof ,pointed in the rough detection of repeater and usb lead into laptop .
Doesn't/didn't detect it as WiFi router booster.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thats where the spare antenna comes in handy ,on a stand I made up ,open roof light sit it on roof ,pointed in the rough detection of repeater and usb lead into laptop .
Doesn't/didn't detect it as WiFi router booster.
My Chinese cheapy does the same (y) It uses either the Ralink or the Realtek chipset (I can't remember).

upload_2019-2-3_13-54-11.jpeg

I only use the ALFA router if I want to protect myself using an open signal. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0

Appollo51

Free Member
Dec 29, 2018
Porth
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2009
EE £25 month 40gb and tether my laptop or tablet in EU or home .no need for mi fi .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
EE £25 month 40gb and tether my laptop or tablet in EU or home .no need for mi fi .

Yebbut I’m on a campsite every weekend and not at home. The phone signal is non existent having only 1 bar of 3G if you’re lucky. You can’t get or send text messages. There is however a free but poor WiFi signal available. That’s what I need to boost.
I have now bought a new Iboost system to fit and use after a few recommendations on here so thanks to all for your help. It has been sent to my home address 200 miles from here so will collect it next weekend. Thanks.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
An update on your progress next week will be much appreciated....(y)

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If you want something a bit cheaper than iBoost but with UK technical support you could try Solwise, I have found it to be very effective.
https://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-odupanel-12db.html
&
https://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-usbwifirpt-3000a
If you have a laptop running windows with a USB port you might only need the aerial panel. You can then set up a local network using software such as Connectify.
https://www.connectify.me/blog/share-internet-connection/best-portable-wifi-hotspot-free/

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have iBoost with directional aerial and haver not had much success with it. Local signals were visible but too weak to be any use.
Bought a Huawei MiFi and not looked back since. You could tether to your phone otherwise.

Upvote 0

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
We've been using iBoost for wifi over many years on many campsites across Europe with great success. Mifi is very good when you can get a phone signal, doesn't work that well without!

Mick

Upvote 0

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Have owned an iBoost for 2years with little success ,so bought a Huawei MiFi with a 3 sim and it hasn't failed yet home and Europe.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Purchased and used Motorhome WiFi equipment since Adam & Sophie first started. To my mind any extra cost is cheap at the price considering the help and support they give. in pre WiFi days I found it invaluable in connecting to FOB when it could be found, which was more often than some people may suggest, and these days for example, the WiFi booster greatly speeds up the connection at CampingCar Parks for example. The roof mounted 4G aerial and modem makes it seem like being connected to our home wifi most of the time, both moving and statioary, and sometimes enables a wifi signal even when the phone doesn't

Malcolm

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
iBoost is great when it has a strong enough signal. I've been on sites that confine reception to in-and-around their coffee shop, somehow. Even with line of sight and pointing the aerial directly at it, I've not managed to gain a connection from some.
True, you need a comms signal for MiFi but most of the places I've been to have had one, and good enough without an external aerial. I don't think there's as much WiFi about if you wild-camp in remote places.

Upvote 0

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
The OP was inquiring about Best WiFi Booster hence the iBoost information we've been giving. However when travelling it's better to cover all options so a mifi box as well. It's not an either/or it's both and use what works well it the circumstances where you're parked.

Mickt

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Purchased and used Motorhome WiFi equipment since Adam & Sophie first started. To my mind any extra cost is cheap at the price considering the help and support they give. in pre WiFi days I found it invaluable in connecting to FOB when it could be found, which was more often than some people may suggest, and these days for example, the WiFi booster greatly speeds up the connection at CampingCar Parks for example. The roof mounted 4G aerial and modem makes it seem like being connected to our home wifi most of the time, both moving and statioary, and sometimes enables a wifi signal even when the phone doesn't

Malcolm

(y)(y)
My experience exactly.

I had an iBoost in the early days & later added a mifi & roof mounted antenna. I have used whichever was most appropriate for where I happened to be at the time, obviously using the iBoost for preference where possible.

My van is my mobile office, so connectivity is important. I've worked from all sorts of odd places both in the UK & Europe & as far as everybody else is concerned, most never knew that I wasn't in my office at home. I use VoIP (Voice over Internet) so calls to the office ring in the van. :)

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The OP was inquiring about Best WiFi Booster hence the iBoost information we've been giving. However when travelling it's better to cover all options so a mifi box as well. It's not an either/or it's both and use what works well it the circumstances where you're parked.

Mickt

Always difficult to say what's best.
We have different values and may only have experience of one.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back