Best WiFi Booster

Discussion in 'Motorhome Help for the Beginner' started by A S Richards, Feb 2, 2019.

1. A S Richards

A S Richards Funster

Ratings:
    +239
    So, which is the best one to get? There seem to be several options on the market at the moment.

2. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +24,478
    We have iboost. It works well most of the time.

3. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,738
    Watching with interest as we are going to the nec in Feb and we’re looking at motorhome Wi-fi I boost.

4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +20,066
    I've had a cheap and cheerful chinky eBay special with directional external antenna pulled in signal very well £17.
    And using an Alpha router. For hot spot.

Also on present van
    USB RPT-3000A: Solwise USB WiFi Router/Repeater and a choice of antennas £100

And a spare similar to above

All work equally as well when needed .

5. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I hear that some sites, Bonterra Park for example, visually identify MH's with boosters on windows and the like and promptly disconnect the paid for WiFi as you are deemed to be using more than one device on the account. So covert use and maybe consider a permanent solution on the roof which is more difficult to identify. I have a my own bespoke solution so cannot give appropriate advice in regards to hardware.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +43,894
    Same set up here which I mainly use internally, plus a Solwise 9dbi USB Omnidirectional antenna, which I use externally (but less discreet). However, because I am surrounded by closed and secure subscription signals here at Benidorm, I am using my Three 12Gb /12 month sim card (3G only) soon to be replaced by a 24Gb/24 month year sim card. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

• Like it Like it x 2
  7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +27,673
    Same here and have done a direct comparison with an iboost & guess which one worked better :ROFLMAO:
    Although you need to know what you are doing with the cheaper system, a bit daunting to anyone who is completely non technical.

We rarely use ours these days with data being so cheap, using a data on your phone or Mifi is so much simpler.

• Like it Like it x 3
  8. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +20,066

Thats where the spare antenna comes in handy ,on a stand I made up ,open roof light sit it on roof ,pointed in the rough detection of repeater and usb lead into laptop .
    Doesn't/didn't detect it as WiFi router booster.

• Like it Like it x 2
  9. JockandRita

Ratings:
    +43,894
    My Chinese cheapy does the same (y) It uses either the Ralink or the Realtek chipset (I can't remember).

upload_2019-2-3_13-54-11.jpeg

I only use the ALFA router if I want to protect myself using an open signal. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. Appollo51

Appollo51 Funster

Ratings:
    +22
    EE £25 month 40gb and tether my laptop or tablet in EU or home .no need for mi fi .

11. A S Richards

A S Richards Funster

Ratings:
    +239
    Yebbut I’m on a campsite every weekend and not at home. The phone signal is non existent having only 1 bar of 3G if you’re lucky. You can’t get or send text messages. There is however a free but poor WiFi signal available. That’s what I need to boost.
    I have now bought a new Iboost system to fit and use after a few recommendations on here so thanks to all for your help. It has been sent to my home address 200 miles from here so will collect it next weekend. Thanks.

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. Just smiffy

Just smiffy Funster

Ratings:
    +14,790
    An update on your progress next week will be much appreciated....(y)

13. JockandRita

Ratings:
    +43,894
    Ditto that one please, @A S Richards. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. Pausim

Pausim Funster

Ratings:
    +1,532
    If you want something a bit cheaper than iBoost but with UK technical support you could try Solwise, I have found it to be very effective.
    https://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-odupanel-12db.html
    &
    https://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-usbwifirpt-3000a
    If you have a laptop running windows with a USB port you might only need the aerial panel. You can then set up a local network using software such as Connectify.
    https://www.connectify.me/blog/share-internet-connection/best-portable-wifi-hotspot-free/

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. A S Richards

A S Richards Funster

Ratings:
    +239
    I’ll post an update when it’s up and running. (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  16. two

two Funster

Ratings:
    +3,220
    I have iBoost with directional aerial and haver not had much success with it. Local signals were visible but too weak to be any use.
    Bought a Huawei MiFi and not looked back since. You could tether to your phone otherwise.

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. tuscancouple

tuscancouple Funster

Ratings:
    +304
    We've been using iBoost for wifi over many years on many campsites across Europe with great success. Mifi is very good when you can get a phone signal, doesn't work that well without!

Mick

18. rich g

rich g Funster

Ratings:
    +709
    Have owned an iBoost for 2years with little success ,so bought a Huawei MiFi with a 3 sim and it hasn't failed yet home and Europe.

19. emjaiuk

emjaiuk Funster

Ratings:
    +667
    Purchased and used Motorhome WiFi equipment since Adam & Sophie first started. To my mind any extra cost is cheap at the price considering the help and support they give. in pre WiFi days I found it invaluable in connecting to FOB when it could be found, which was more often than some people may suggest, and these days for example, the WiFi booster greatly speeds up the connection at CampingCar Parks for example. The roof mounted 4G aerial and modem makes it seem like being connected to our home wifi most of the time, both moving and statioary, and sometimes enables a wifi signal even when the phone doesn't

Malcolm

• Like it Like it x 2
  20. two

two Funster

Ratings:
    +3,220
    iBoost is great when it has a strong enough signal. I've been on sites that confine reception to in-and-around their coffee shop, somehow. Even with line of sight and pointing the aerial directly at it, I've not managed to gain a connection from some.
    True, you need a comms signal for MiFi but most of the places I've been to have had one, and good enough without an external aerial. I don't think there's as much WiFi about if you wild-camp in remote places.