Best route, Canterbury to Channel Tunnel at Folkestone (3 Viewers)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You need an hour to make the journey. We were idly having breakfast when we realised the time. Made it JUST with 5 minutes to spare. Holdups all the way. We even had someone stop at a roundabout when there was no one on it.

You should be on the Park and Ride Aire its only £4 a night. If you get down early there is a free bus into Canterbury.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It's a nice road. 2 lanes with white lines down the middle for the most part. It's not one of those B roads where you're touching the hedge on both sides. I've been on worse A roads.

Left out of the P&R, down to the cricket ground, left at the lights then follow your nose until you get to the M20

Out of interest have you done this route back to Canterbury?

I know this is now an old thread but used this route for the first time today from the tunnel

Virtually dark, snow on ground, snowing, ice glistening in bits of road not covered in snow, ext temp showing-4.5C mirror dragging through the hedges with me praying there were no serious branches

Never again for me, PVC maybe not for our A class o_O

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

I know this is now an old thread but used this route for the first time today from the tunnel

Virtually dark, snow on ground, snowing, ice glistening in bits of road not covered in snow, ext temp showing-4.5C mirror dragging through the hedges with me praying there were no serious branches

I’ve never had any reason to go back to Canterbury but if ever I did that’s the road I would use without question.

We have an A class as well (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@DavidG58 thinking about it if you were dragging your mirrors in the hedge I'm not sure you were on the same road.

I can't think of anywhere that it's narrow enough for you to be doing that even if you were passing something big like an HGV.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
As a local I travel all of these roads, and the Stone Street (B2068 one is the straightest and most direct) It was a Roman road, comes out on the M20 next to the services, straight onto the M20 and left, next turn off into the entrance. The other two are twisty turning roads with lots of chances to cockup.
From the park and ride it is out the gate and turn first left then first turning about 3/4 miles onto Nackington Road by the cricket Ground then STRAIGHT ON. only one bit of twisty bit going down the hill to the motorway junction. The Canterbury CCC site is a bit out of the way in the wrong direction, and I would not go there in preference to the Park and Ride which is £4 and on the main route.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have used GWAYGWAY route both directions. Usually quiet and shouldn't prove a problem for units of any size.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years

It is fine if you get up the hill at the start from the Hythe end. This weather is just a bit out of the ordinary

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Whilst on the theme of the Park and Ride at Canterbury a lot of people drive all the way through the City to get there.However the best way is to pass Canterbury on the A2 until you get to the Bridge/Patrixbourne turning, The wide long, interchange , come off and go up the sliproad to junction , turn right down to the village main road , OLD A2, turn right up the hill and keep right for Canterbury 0ne mile and the Gate Inn with the P&R directly behind it. Much better than trying to force your way around and through the traffic in the city if you were to take the first turning from the A2 Bypass, at Harbledown.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back