Best route, Canterbury to Channel Tunnel at Folkestone (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We are on the Canterbury C&CC site and are booked on the 1150 train tomorrow.

Anyone got a favourite route?

Google maps is showing 3 options.

We have a 7.5 metre Burstner at 2.8 m high.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you must get the prize for shortest route request (y)(y)

makes a pleasant change from toll free options to Spain or can I get to lake Garda in one day :)

no idea on best option, but ideally join M20 just above terminal I would say

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No idea where the campsite is.

We always use the P&R and the best route from there is the B2068 Nackington Road/Stone Street.

It’s perfectly good for bigger vehicles than you and takes about 25 mins from the P&R to the tunnel

You meet the M20 at J11 and the tunnel is half a mile up the road at J11A

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
upload_2017-10-31_21-1-49.png

google maps only gives me one option, no idea on suitability, but based on how straight the road is it might take you down the railway track :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Old Dover Road and then the A260 should do it.

Not even close.

Takes far too long in the wrong direction and then you’re in the wrong place on the M20 so need to go down and back up.

That’s a good hour from Canterbury if you cane it and get incredibly lucky with traffic.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Left out of the site, left onto the main road and follow towards Canterbury, watching out for the speed camera on the hill.

First exit off the roundabout, through pedestrian lights and straight over at the next Junction (New Dover Road) to the next traffic lights at the junction of the Old Dover Road and turn left. Follow this to the cricket ground then turn right onto the Hythe Road (Stone Street) and then follow this down til you get to J11 of the M20. Join the M20 briefly and come off at J11a for the Tunnel.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

makes a pleasant change from toll free options to Spain or can I get to lake Garda in one day :)

no idea on best option, but ideally join M20 just above terminal I would say

North, or South?

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for ALL the replies

Will we need our passports and how do they fit the train wheels onto the MH tyres?:D

My wife also wants to know if you can see any fish out of the windows?:D

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
View attachment 194922

google maps only gives me one option, no idea on suitability, but based on how straight the road is it might take you down the railway track :LOL:

C'mon David,

Couldn't you send the OP around the M25. It would make for an 'interesting' conversation on the Dash Cam.

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@ianthebuilder
Ian there is some Guy sat on the roof and the kids are placing wooden pallets around it chanting something like "Remember Remember":D

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
A2 towards Dover at Barham take the A260 towards Folkestone at the bottom of Hawkinge hill take the slip to the M20 towards London next exit . Shortest route.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
A2 towards Dover at Barham take the A260 towards Folkestone at the bottom of Hawkinge hill take the slip to the M20 towards London next exit . Shortest route.
That's the route we always take to and from the P&R when using the tunnel. If it's good enough for the Stagecoach double decker, it's good enough for me. ;)

Chers,

Jock. :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
And don't forget to pay at the machine before you try and leave the Canterbury Aire.............

You feel such an idiot if you don't.....:doh:.............................well it was before I'd woken up properly and I was testing my reversing skills anyway.................... that's my excuse

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Wanna bet? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It's not the shortest or the quickest.

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 08.01.47.jpg

@namwaldog don't be put off by the B road. HGVs that are far bigger than you use it every day. Most of the time it's wide enough for them to pass each other without slowing down.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
That's the route we always take to and from the P&R when using the tunnel. If it's good enough for the Stagecoach double decker, it's good enough for me. ;)
That route normally takes us about 40 minutes, however, I would expect it to take longer in winter.

In July, we had a few hours to kill before arriving at the tunnel, so we called in to http://www.kbobm.org/ at Hawkinge. That was well worth a visit. (y)

Wanna bet? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It's not the shortest or the quickest.

View attachment 194957

@namwaldog don't be put off by the B road. HGVs that are far bigger than you use it every day. Most of the time it's wide enough for them to pass each other without slowing down.
I may try that route Nick, when we are down that way again in January. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I may try that route Nick, when we are down that way again in January.

It's a nice road. 2 lanes with white lines down the middle for the most part. It's not one of those B roads where you're touching the hedge on both sides. I've been on worse A roads.

Left out of the P&R, down to the cricket ground, left at the lights then follow your nose until you get to the M20

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
All these directions from Canterbury P&R are all very good, however the op said he is at Canterbury Caravan & camping club site......:Eeek:

:rofl::rofl:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
All these directions from Canterbury P&R are all very good, however the op said he is at Canterbury Caravan & camping club site......:Eeek:

:rofl::rofl:

I didn't even know there was a club site there. I've just looked at where it is and the routes still apply, just from a very slightly different start point. (y)

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks again for all your replies. We came through Town and back up Old Dover Road towards the P&R and turned R at the cricket ground. Straight down to M20, turned left towards Folkestone and off at 11A. Got onto earlier train & just waiting to board. Thanks again.

I came to this too late to add my two penn'worth, but, as a local, I'm glad to see that you saw through the contradictory suggestions and chose the quickest, straightest and most scenic route. Respect (y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I just set the satnav - but it's always taken me down the straight "B" road - no problems at all, in the morning all the traffic is going the other way.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Maybe so, but it generated at least as much controversy & as many replies as either of your suggestions below would have done! :D:D

All of which suggests that it was a more sensible question than some appeared to think. :oops:

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Not being rude, however, if you need help with this you really should not be going abroad

Really? Why not? Perfectly reasonable question.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back