Best Route: Calais to Spanish Med in December? (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
We are just starting our planning to (re)start our 90 day trip to Europe. Planning being half the fun!

We’ll be on the Chunnel on 7th December I think, and expecting France to be rubbish weather wise, so will likely hot-foot it down to north eastern Spain, heading for Benicarlo initially, or even Girona if it’s good enough weather there.

My concern is the best route down through France considering the weather, snow and ice etc. (East or West)

I’m happy to take 4 days or so on the way down, so any suggestions of routes to avoid issues on the roads, and perhaps good stops just to overnight that will be open / have water etc would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Used to do the route quite often and may well do it this December if we change from the Portsmouth Santander ferry which is still an option. We were always towing so it was an early morning crossing then an overnight stay at Camping Acacia near Tours, then La Rouletta at St Jean to Luz. It then depends where you are heading for but we went around Madrid down to Murcia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Used to do the route quite often and may well do it this December if we change from the Portsmouth Santander ferry which is still an option. We were always towing so it was an early morning crossing then an overnight stay at Camping Acacia near Tours, then La Rouletta at St Jean to Luz. It then depends where you are heading for but we went around Madrid down to Murcia.
Thanks for that Mikeco, hoping to be further east when we enter Spain, though it may be better to follow that western route then across Zaragoza way (we met some snow on the road between Pamplona and Tudela several years ago in Feb). Puts Benicassim within 4 days drive.

Anyone know if the A75 is an issue in December?

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks for that Mikeco, hoping to be further east when we enter Spain, though it may be better to follow that western route then across Zaragoza way (we met some snow on the road between Pamplona and Tudela several years ago in Feb). Puts Benicassim within 4 days drive.

Anyone know if the A75 is an issue in December?
Our experience of the A75 in winter is that the French are very good at snow clearance and some motorways have permanent brine sprays installed. Never had a problem on the A75 with the weather but French drivers, well that's a different matter 😃

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
We are just starting our planning to (re)start our 90 day trip to Europe. Planning being half the fun!

We’ll be on the Chunnel on 7th December I think, and expecting France to be rubbish weather wise, so will likely hot-foot it down to north eastern Spain, heading for Benicarlo initially, or even Girona if it’s good enough weather there.

My concern is the best route down through France considering the weather, snow and ice etc. (East or West)

I’m happy to take 4 days or so on the way down, so any suggestions of routes to avoid issues on the roads, and perhaps good stops just to overnight that will be open / have water etc would be appreciated.
MMM magazine published a route in an article call "The long road south" a couple of years ago. Somebody will have a copy.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I would take the most easterly route. Nearly always did before switching to Santander/Bilbao ferry some years ago.

Just bear in mind when using Sat Navs, there are two Calais in France.
3BBC1E3F-4A63-487F-8ECD-0403464CDFF2.png

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Calais, Evereux, Dreux, Orleans, Clermont Ferrand, Millau, into spain

that is def my preferred route if wanting the Spain med coast

Al 👍
Do you have experience of this route in December Al?

That was actually my preferred route but unsure of the road conditions. Apparently Clermont Ferrand can be icy then (they claim 21 days of snow per year), and possibly more so south of there?

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Do you have experience of this route in December Al?

That was actually my preferred route but unsure of the road conditions. Apparently Clermont Ferrand can be icy then (they claim 21 days of snow per year), and possibly more so south of there?
hi Ian

we did this route albeit in reverse last December 2020, setting off on the 4th and got into blighty on the 7th and it was good all the way last year

Al (y)

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
West coast route through France gets milder weather during the winter but once you cross the border at that end of the Pyrenees you are more likely to get cold temperatures and snow in Northern/Central Spain.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Here you go ! I've not updated it for this year but the prices will be close enough.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Fuel & Toll costs. For a class 2 Motorhome. Calais – Irun. Toll = €149.40. Fuel €151.62 Based on 1083 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motor-home). N10 Calais - Irun. Using partial Toll = €11.50. Fuel €147.84 Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also near here, cheap fuel with easy access (https://www.fuelflash.eu/en/alcampo...rcial-txingudi-zona-araso_b_-ventas-80-33301/) and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm
If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

A popular app/website. Used by many and worth taking out the small subscription. Loads of up to date reviews here too.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed.

A fantastic app that can be used off line and a decent Sat Nav included.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
West coast route through France gets milder weather during the winter but once you cross the border at that end of the Pyrenees you are more likely to get cold temperatures and snow in Northern/Central Spain.
(y) As I mentioned - we experienced that in Feb a couple of years ago between Pamplona and Tudela.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Here you go ! I've not updated it for this year but the prices will be close enough.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Fuel & Toll costs. For a class 2 Motorhome. Calais – Irun. Toll = €149.40. Fuel €151.62 Based on 1083 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motor-home). N10 Calais - Irun. Using partial Toll = €11.50. Fuel €147.84 Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also near here, cheap fuel with easy access (https://www.fuelflash.eu/en/alcampo...rcial-txingudi-zona-araso_b_-ventas-80-33301/) and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm
If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

A popular app/website. Used by many and worth taking out the small subscription. Loads of up to date reviews here too.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed.

A fantastic app that can be used off line and a decent Sat Nav included.
WOW - that's something to get my teeth into LOL. Thanks so much.

Cheers
IanRJ

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Cheers
IanRJ
Yes! Its a great route down and quite a saving of tolls too. As I type fuel is cheaper in France than the UK and much cheaper in Spain than France. We were paying 1.20 at Alcampo as apposed to 1.35 in France., this August. Plenty of free Aires and safe stopovers on the way down. Safe travels.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012

Cheers
IanRJ
We read the same articles and have been using variations of the routes for about 10 years. It's all very informative.

We prefer to head down to Bordeaux and use the motorway to Irun, the tolls are not excessive. We used to come off north of Biarritz to avoid those tolls but the route can be a pain so we now stay on and exit at Irun for Pamplona and Zaragoza for the Med at Valencia.

I have used the A75 a couple of times but as already said, you do have to keep an eye on the weather. On one occasion we spent the night at an aire in Saint-Flour only to wake up to snow. It's only a couple of K from the motorway and then we were fortunate to get behind a snowplough. They keep one lane open.

We've done it completely tolls free on occasions, depending on how long you have, but at some points en route we find it easier to hop on the motorway for a small stretch. Poitiers is an example, we find that a right pain in the derriere.

Terry

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We read the same articles and have been using variations of the routes for about 10 years. It's all very informative.

We prefer to head down to Bordeaux and use the motorway to Irun, the tolls are not excessive. We used to come off north of Biarritz to avoid those tolls but the route can be a pain so we now stay on and exit at Irun for Pamplona and Zaragoza for the Med at Valencia.

I have used the A75 a couple of times but as already said, you do have to keep an eye on the weather. On one occasion we spent the night at an aire in Saint-Flour only to wake up to snow. It's only a couple of K from the motorway and then we were fortunate to get behind a snowplough. They keep one lane open.

We've done it completely tolls free on occasions, depending on how long you have, but at some points en route we find it easier to hop on the motorway for a small stretch. Poitiers is an example, we find that a right pain in the derriere.

Terry
Where do you enter for Poitiers (South bound, as exit point self explanatory) and how much are you charged ?

Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
We always come back in December from Benidorm by the west coast. We stop at St Jean-De-Luz at camping Larrouleta the first night, then St. Maure De Touaine Aire with electric for the second night and the third night at Neufchatel en Bray Aire with electric. 100 miles and about 2 hours from Calais. We have even done this route Christmas week with no problems. We have used this route to get to Benicassim before just take the A23 to Valencia and then turn left.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
We use the same routes as EuroTrotters

Especially that time of year, just want to get to the heat asap. So fastest way possible. Not worried about tolls although the AP7 is now free 👌🏽

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Where do you enter for Poitiers (South bound, as exit point self explanatory) and how much are you charged ?
Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, Chateaudun, on to the motorway at junction 19 just north of Tours, off at junction 30 on the N10.

The non-motorway between Tours and Poitiers is fine but around the cities is the pain so we end up staying on the Mway, depends on how long we have and the weather!

Then, on the usual Poitiers, Angouleme, Bordeaux route. Watch out for speed 📷 if over 3.5t.

One of our favourite overnights in Spain is at Olite. Free, water and toilets.

I can't remember the toll costs, the last time was just before lockdown but checking on Viamichelin and it looks like €14. For us, we'll worthwhile.

Terry

Reactions: f6c
Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Just checked our last trip.
Down -
Hardelot plage 50.6349, 1.5990 wilding on car park
Marbouè free aire
Cavignac free aire
Olite free aire cheap fuel in town
Altomira, Navajas. A nice Camping Red site and we stay for a few days.

We travelled back as both 🇪🇸 & 🇫🇷 were locking down and in an effort to get the flock out of there we only stopped at
Segorbe free aire
Cavignac
Nonancourt free aire cheap petrol

Non of the stopovers are great for a week but we find them good stops (safe) when travelling.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, Chateaudun, on to the motorway at junction 19 just north of Tours, off at junction 30 on the N10.

The non-motorway between Tours and Poitiers is fine but around the cities is the pain so we end up staying on the Mway, depends on how long we have and the weather!

Then, on the usual Poitiers, Angouleme, Bordeaux route. Watch out for speed 📷 if over 3.5t.

One of our favourite overnights in Spain is at Olite. Free, water and toilets.

I can't remember the toll costs, the last time was just before lockdown but checking on Viamichelin and it looks like €14. For us, we'll worthwhile.

Terry
Thanks for that! €25.30 according to VanMichelin. We too jump on the A10 at Jct 19 and off again at Jct 23 (€ 1.80) which gets us through the city centre. Agree its a bit of a bind getting up to Poitiers on the 910 but were OK with that and have done this route for so many years now I know where most of the speed cameras are and not bothered about new ones as I don't speed and loads of places where the 80KPH does not apply.

Reactions: f6c
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Poitiers is an example, we find that a right pain in the derriere.
I only find it a pain if I arrive at rush hour, which has happened on 2 occasions:giggle: otherwise straight through the centre on the D910 past Futurscope.

I use abbeville, Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, Chateaudun,Vendome,Tours, Chatellarault,Poitiers, Angouleme, Bordeaux, Cadillac, Langon,Captieux, Aire-sur l'adour, Pau,Oloron-st:-Marie, Som Port tunnel, Jaca, Huesca,down to Zaragoza then on to A23 down past Teruel, & across to Sagunto, Valencia bypass on & inland to Font de la Figuera to come down bypassing Alicante to get home. I use the same route when going north any time.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
I only find it a pain if I arrive at rush hour, which has happened on 2 occasions:giggle: otherwise straight through the centre on the D910 past Futurscope.

I use abbeville, Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, Chateaudun,Vendome,Tours, Chatellarault,Poitiers, Angouleme, Bordeaux, Cadillac, Langon,Captieux, Aire-sur l'adour, Pau,Oloron-st:-Marie, Som Port tunnel, Jaca, Huesca,down to Zaragoza then on to A23 down past Teruel, & across to Sagunto, Valencia bypass on & inland to Font de la Figuera to come down bypassing Alicante to get home. I use the same route when going north any time.
Thanks for those suggestions. I have used the Somport in the past but not for a few years.

PhilandMena , I may be mistaken (again) but I made the tolls €14, i thought the higher figure included fuel.

Terry

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for those suggestions. I have used the Somport in the past but not for a few years.

PhilandMena , I may be mistaken (again) but I made the tolls €14, i thought the higher figure included fuel.

Terry
LOL I just checked again ! €14. for a car and another €6.00 for a class 2 motorhome. (I forgot to add caravan in VanMicelin.
€31.97 (tolls €20.70 + fuel consumption €11.27)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back