LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thinking about a small pressure cooker for in the motorhome plus a large one to use at home & wondered what makes/models are popular with Funsters? Used to cook with a Prestige old style one with weights that terrified me as a teenager but can see that versions (Tefal?) now look a lot less scary!
This is a small one that may be worth a try?

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Have seen quite a few of these being used by the Dutch and Germans down here in Spain. We took a slow cooker with us this trip and it's been used so many times.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We still use the old prestige ones, the one in the van must be 40 years old.
You see plenty around, seals are still availiable. Like most things the old ones are better made.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
these days i use these.
Broken Link Removed..

or this Broken Link Removed

i also have various others the largest is a 16quart cooker . can cook 6 chicken in it at one go.
mind that was when i worked in restaurants .
i find a 3ltr ideal. can over load it a bit and squeeze 4 meals out of it . but 3 cook easily.
for chicken 15 mins then quarter and fry or slip under a grill . they look taste like roasted but more moist. ideal for kentucky fried chicken .

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I bought a Tefal one probably about 15 years ago which also came with a sautee pan the same size with a glass lid. Both lids are interchangeable so I use the sautee pan with the pressure cooker lid in the van occasionally but haven't done so for a while as now have a Mr D Thermal cooker which only needs 10 minutes of gas and then cooks in it's pot for a few hours so a bit like a slow cooker.

Denise

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Had a Prestige for years but bought a Kuhn Riko Duromatic a couple of years ago. Expensive, but nowhere near as scary to use, doesn't make a sound when up to pressure. Think there was some advice a while ago about avoiding uncoated aluminium pans for cooking, due to leaching aluminium being linked to Alzheimers :(

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Had a Prestige for years but bought a Kuhn Riko Duromatic a couple of years ago. Expensive, but nowhere near as scary to use, doesn't make a sound when up to pressure. Think there was some advice a while ago about avoiding uncoated aluminium pans for cooking, due to leaching aluminium being linked to Alzheimers :(
yes there as been talk of it for years ,but i forgot about it .
who are you, ? what day is it?
i ,m not sure if its true though . ha ha .

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I use the (Prestige) one we have more as a nice big saucepan a lot more often than using it as a pressure cooker, for the simple reason it's the only BIG saucepan we own. So stuff like chilli con carne or a curry or whatever would go in there. Anything you want a nice lot of room to stir recipes in whilst cooking, that might be fairly 'liquidy' to start until it's all gone down into the sauce and thickened up.

Having a very thick base, it has proved far less likely to burn the stuff on the bottom than any of the stainless steel, allegedly thick bottomed pans we own.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've used pressure cookers since I was a kid and wouldn't be without ... I think I have 4 or 5 ... maybe more! :rolleyes: We mainly use a large aluminium one at home and a smaller one for the camper, Prestige or Morphy Richards at present but have had Tower and Tefal too, not much to choose between them. The Morphy Richards one is the same as some 'unbranded' ones so you can save some money by not paying for the name!#

I've got a large stainless steel one which I used to use at home but it is way too heavy even when empty, hence why I now use an aluminium one.

I just picked up a small 3L one from the local car boot sale for ÂŁ7 which is for my Mum for when her current one gives up the ghost as she uses it every single day and as it's an Indian make trying to get any spares for hit would be a nightmare and cost more than buying a new non-Indian one!

If you have a B & M store have a shuftie in there as they often have them for around ÂŁ15 for a 5L one which is exactly the same design as the MR one!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a thought - one 'dirty trick' manufacturers play now is NOT to include the veg basket or trivet so you have to buy them separately ... at a price! Make sure you get one with these bits included.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i never use the trivets or the veg baskets just all in one . spuds in the bottom then the meat then other veg . mug of water bit of seasoning . off we go.
like others i have stainless cookers and ally .
i like ally ones , makes for adventure with dementia . wake up in a new place every day.
but you remember being there in 1964. ha ha .

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013

Plus 1 for the Kuhn Riko Duromatic - quality bit of kit which I would recommend to anyone

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Having used standard pressure cookers for years, of lots of different makes, the ones nowadays are a lot quieter and easier to use than the older ones but I seriously cannot see why you would spend the sort of money suggested for the Kuhn one! I've been using one of mine for probably 20 years and its still going strong and the spares (seal etc) are easy and cheap to get hold of ...vso a 10 year guarantee doesn't mean much to me ... I'll go by how long I've had them.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
one of mine is a prestige from my parents when they passed away . its gotta be 55 years old . i certainly cant remember them buying it . but can remember it being used regularly. i am older than 55 . another i bought when i was married in 77 still going strong . as said seal weights and the pressure release valve still available . i have a butterfly presure cooker ally one that i cant find a seal for . but found a worn stainless steel cooker one seems to work ok . i do actually prefer the weighted old style ones . certainly the most used pans in my kitchens are pressure cookers . when i was in catering we had pressure cooker cupboards , about the size of fridge freezers cooked allsorts in them .cant cook for hundreds with out a bit of cheating .

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you for all your suggestions & tips (y)Looked at all the options suggested & have ordered a Kuhn Rikon (steel) 2.5l but it is almost half standard price as "used with cosmetic marks" in Amazon Warehouse! If I don't like it (it is quite shallow) should be able to sell it hopefully without much loss or return it :) If it is anywhere as good as the reviews then should be fine. I too try & avoid aluminium being in contact with our food or cooking liquid as I lost a grandparent to dementia so don't want to do anything that might increase mine & my familys risk. Have a bargain Remoska ordered too as mentioned in an earlier thread (Motorhome Fun forum is making me spend too much!) but will use a stainless rack or steel dish in that little aluminium beastie!

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
How long does it take to cook a stew, do you bung everything in together.. We have a small one but haven't used it much because my wife's not keen on it.

Thanks Wobby

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just Google "pressure cooker recipes" hundreds there to give you some idea (y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
How long does it take to cook a stew, do you bung everything in together.. We have a small one but haven't used it much because my wife's not keen on it.

Thanks Wobby
in a pressure cooker about 5mins from it coming to pressure . about 7-10 mins .
small ones quicker as less water to heat up.
its a bit trial and error . you have to learn which veg you leave a bit bigger than normal so they dont over cook.the meat cut in small pieces so it cooks quicker .
all in one . is my way.
but if you just cook the veg and grill /fry chops steaks etc soon gets a meal ready.
keeps in the flavours and less steam in the van.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Found that 2.5l really is too small as only half to two thirds useable space so returned & next one to try is Tefal Secure 5 with 4l & 6l pans at ÂŁ46 - again Amazon Warehouse Deals (y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the one i use most is 3litre and fill it with veg and meat to about an inch from the top. a mug of water or a jar of sauce plus a splash of water or wine . works a treat.
but look around your local stores i did buy a 4 litre locally a couple years ago for 16 quid . its ok but i find over filling the smaller one works for me .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back