Best place to get polystyrene

Camshaft

Funster
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
Okay so removed panel boards from ceiling in the Autotrail and shock horror mouldy polystyrene black rotted timbers and black mould on fibreglass. So pulled it all out put supports in to keep the roof up, now need polystyrene insulation 35mm to pack it. Any ideas anyone?

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Funster
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
Oh yeah sorry forgot to say, have replaced timber struts and fixed leaks. To be honest the last time I saw a framework in that state was when they lifted the Mary Rose.

Mikeco

Funster
MH
Self Build Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Oh yeah sorry forgot to say, have replaced timber struts and fixed leaks. To be honest the last time I saw a framework in that state was when they lifted the Mary Rose.
I believe that was also made in Grimsby.

TinaL

Funster
MH
Carthago C Tourer T148H
Exp
Ex Tuggers, I year into Mohoing, FLT wannabies
Have you considered replacing polystyrene with Kingspan?
Its available in many thicknesses, its compressed fibre impervious type stuff but with the additional bonus of having foil bonded to it on each side. I would check out the heat retention aspects of each, my money would be on The Kingspan.
Les

jockaneezer

Funster
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Make sure you get the same thickness or slightly thinner, if both the inner and outer skins touch the insulation, it can cause squeaks.

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Funster
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
Would consider kingspan I think there is another one as well think it begins with E but quite expensive. I noticed over the door and cupboard areas the original manufacturer must have used loft insulation does anyone think that would need replacing or will just polystyrene suffice?

Ivory55

Funster
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Kingspan makes less mess when cutting compared to polystyrene balls blowing everywhere when it’s cut. Also a better insulation value.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Hymer B678 Dynamic Line
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Kingspan makes less mess when cutting compared to polystyrene balls blowing everywhere when it’s cut. Also a better insulation value.
Any PU foam will do also resistant to water finding its way through it far better than polystyrene.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
MH
SunLiving Lido M45SP
Exp
On and off for many years.
Would consider kingspan I think there is another one as well think it begins with E but quite expensive. I noticed over the door and cupboard areas the original manufacturer must have used loft insulation does anyone think that would need replacing or will just polystyrene suffice?
Celotex , Ecotherm and Reticel all similar to Kingspan

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Funster
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
Okay so sorted the subject of insulation, etc. went to Jewsons and discovered some sheets of polyfoam hibernating in a corner, they were having a refit, took the lot, about 12 sheets, at a bargain price. I have been videoing the job so when I figure out how to transfer from camera to computer you will see what I have been up to!! 10 days on and still with the quote of £6,500 + spurring me on I am getting close to needing those panel boards. Everywhere is bone dry and looking and smelling clean and fresh.

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services