Best place to get polystyrene (1 Viewer)

Camshaft

Free Member
Nov 8, 2014
Wirral, Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
Okay so removed panel boards from ceiling in the Autotrail and shock horror mouldy polystyrene black rotted timbers and black mould on fibreglass. So pulled it all out put supports in to keep the roof up, now need polystyrene insulation 35mm to pack it. Any ideas anyone?

OP
OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Free Member
Nov 8, 2014
Wirral, Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
Oh yeah sorry forgot to say, have replaced timber struts and fixed leaks. To be honest the last time I saw a framework in that state was when they lifted the Mary Rose.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Oh yeah sorry forgot to say, have replaced timber struts and fixed leaks. To be honest the last time I saw a framework in that state was when they lifted the Mary Rose.
I believe that was also made in Grimsby.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Have you considered replacing polystyrene with Kingspan?
Its available in many thicknesses, its compressed fibre impervious type stuff but with the additional bonus of having foil bonded to it on each side. I would check out the heat retention aspects of each, my money would be on The Kingspan.
Les

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Make sure you get the same thickness or slightly thinner, if both the inner and outer skins touch the insulation, it can cause squeaks.

OP
OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Free Member
Nov 8, 2014
Wirral, Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
Would consider kingspan I think there is another one as well think it begins with E but quite expensive. I noticed over the door and cupboard areas the original manufacturer must have used loft insulation does anyone think that would need replacing or will just polystyrene suffice?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Kingspan makes less mess when cutting compared to polystyrene balls blowing everywhere when it’s cut. Also a better insulation value.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Would consider kingspan I think there is another one as well think it begins with E but quite expensive. I noticed over the door and cupboard areas the original manufacturer must have used loft insulation does anyone think that would need replacing or will just polystyrene suffice?

Celotex , Ecotherm and Reticel all similar to Kingspan

OP
OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Free Member
Nov 8, 2014
Wirral, Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
Okay so sorted the subject of insulation, etc. went to Jewsons and discovered some sheets of polyfoam hibernating in a corner, they were having a refit, took the lot, about 12 sheets, at a bargain price. I have been videoing the job so when I figure out how to transfer from camera to computer you will see what I have been up to!! 10 days on and still with the quote of £6,500 + spurring me on I am getting close to needing those panel boards. Everywhere is bone dry and looking and smelling clean and fresh.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back